Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:05 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,595,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
You can take my spot. My high paid engaging tech job you can't take. That's coming w/ me along w/ my CA salary . Amazing, here we are in 2012 and I don't need to be in earshot of Zuckerburg paying $1.2 million for some shack in Palo Alto in order to get my engaging tech work done... The interweb is an amazing tool.

Good luck finding the tech job of your dreams... It seems you have been dreaming for quite some time. I hope CA turns out to be everything you have dreamt it up to be.
You mean your job at the CMU Silicon Valley Campus working in Research? No thanks, I keep toughing it out in the corporate world.

I'll find the job of my dreams, I know it won't happen moving to Orlando that's for sure. Move there already, buy your cookie cutter zero lot line McMansion with the 3 car garage filled up with BMW's finest. None of that matters to me, it's all senseless fill. By all means keep buying the garbage, it equals more work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
He has his eyes set on Cali .. He's too good for any other place. The rest of the world is flyover country and/or doesn't have the engaging work that he so desires. Let em come out to the valley and get his experience points. It doesn't seem he's going to rest until he does....
Wow your are good, you got that right!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Of course not, they are going to run around palo alto and nearby cities out-bidding each other @ $1million+ in $100k increments for dilapidated shacks :
Buyers compete for short supply of homes in Bay Area - San Jose Mercury News
<- value is hardly worth these levels.. But its the result of rats trying to all squeeze in one tiny arse box instead of branching out and getting some relief. It's human psychology though, some people don't see the value outside the boxes they carve out for themselves.. and well, they basically fight it out with each other and inflate the value of things relative to the money they have... putting them on par w/ the QOL found elsewhere that can be had at a 4th of the cost. Having a good job and money doesn't necessarily equate to having sense... It's the reason why, even though packed w/ some of the most amazing minds in the U.S, California's govt. is a train-wreck.

You're more than welcome to come out here as a (middle aged individual) I am assuming and try your luck making below market wages at a dinky startup (no.. a lot of startups are not going to offer you cushy salaries .. you get equity instead).. And hope they get bought/ipo .. As opposed to what the media portrays, 70-80% don't and fail. Or you can get a salaried job at a stable company making the golden $100k+ salary you seek (it's really not that serious.. most engineers make $100k+ here) .. and then forget about buying a home (you are competing w/ the 20% of people who are made millionaires overnight) .. Rent your whole life and enjoy CA. Try to have a social life too .. it can be hard sometimes w/ all the work.

and enjoy paying $1.8k - $2.5k for a crummy 1bdr apt. want to live in the city? $2.5k - $3.5k. After registering your car, paying CA taxes, federal taxes, and all the wonderful taxes in between you will see how amazing that elusive $100k+ salary you seek is.

*Cheers mate.. If you are looking for a place in the next 5 months, let me know.. My apt will be vacant and it is really hard finding one right now.
Yeah do you know why it's hard to find rentals there? Hmm, would it be because there are a lot of jobs there, of course. Flip side, Orlando, let's see, plenty of rentals and places to live because there isn't much happening. Hope you know that nobody is going to give a squat about your degree from CMU in Orlando. Practice your Gator Chomp, follow me now, put your hands together and chomp lol

Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,507,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
You mean your job at the CMU Silicon Valley Campus working in Research? No thanks, I keep toughing it out in the corporate world.

I'll find the job of my dreams, I know it won't happen moving to Orlando that's for sure. Move there already, buy your cookie cutter zero lot line McMansion with the 3 car garage filled up with BMW's finest. None of that matters to me, it's all senseless fill. By all means keep buying the garbage, it equals more work for me.
This is why I limit the personal info I share. So, i'll stop at saying that I worked in the private sector at a tech corp... Have been for years since I moved to the valley.

Come out and find the job of your dreams. I'll be busy using the capital I have amassed to create my own. Wont be buying a cookie cuter McMansion.. Will be buying a 3/2.5 starter home in a nice area in cash, putting it up for rent immediately, buying another to house my family (cash). Working my high paying engaging tech job that i took with me while also pursuing a venture I already have off the ground.

You mistake me for the typical bay area engineer.. I am not concerned with materialistic possessions. I enjoy financial freedom : not having to worry about rent/mortgage) and how I am going to take care of my family.. This allows me to pursue whatever I want.

Now explain to me how you achieve that easier in California? You don't. Being in California doesn't automatically make you non-materialistic. Quite the opposite... You will find the parking lots at most tech companies littered w/ BMWs,Lexus, and the new cool luxury (Audi) ..

People are just barely getting by here too .. Because they inflated the hell out of the real-estate and a shack = half a million makes them hipsters now? Yay, you can only afford a shack.. You're humble now? No.. your shack costs 4-5x as much as mine ..

Keep dreaming .. and once you're done, Come out here and taste reality. I have tasted the reality of both and am making an informed decision between them. You have yet to taste it. Come here. Fill up your plate and then your commentary will have some validity... and please don't make any more assumptions about me w/ the limited info i have given you.. You look like a fool and are already wrong out the gate from extending what i have told you about myself.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah do you know why it's hard to find rentals there? Hmm, would it be because there are a lot of jobs there, of course. Flip side, Orlando, let's see, plenty of rentals and places to live because there isn't much happening. Hope you know that nobody is going to give a squat about your degree from CMU in Orlando. Practice your Gator Chomp, follow me now, put your hands together and chomp lol
You don't live here so i'll let you know why its hard...

Pull up google maps.. about 50% of the region by the coast (the hills in between the valley and the coast) are open reserves .. no building allowed.
-> Constrained supply meet demand ..

The east bay ? That's where the socio-economic climate has pushed all of the low income people. So, the high wage earners aren't integrated and thus are all cluster @#$*ing each other in ever increasing amounts as they pack into the bay area.

Corporations pack in here like rats .. Not because it is so amazing but because of : Herd mentality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Why are there rentals all over Orlando?
Step #1 : Pull up a map.. Note, there are no open reserves .. There are swaths of land that can be built on and is being .. As demand increases, supply increases to meet demand. Comfortably sized homes are a norm because there are large supplies of land .. Also note there is no bay smack dab in the middle.
Unconstrained supply .. Meet demand.

Demand there : it's a growing city .. Demand is growing and is meeting a healthy supply that is stretched out in multiple directions.. As one place is developed and occupied, development pushes somewhere else. Homes are affordable so people buy homes .. No need to rent.

Demand here : it fluxes and is concentrated.. even more concentrated as corporations pack in like rats .. There aren't areas to branch out development so they engage in dense housing .. traffic turns the sh*t ..etc. Also, people can't afford homes here (even w/ $100k+ salaries) .. so, instead they are forced to rent .. so, the rental market is hot.. I think i posted an article early.. here :
Bay Area renters squeezed in tight market - San Jose Mercury News

Pack you in nicely like rats complete w/ families w/ 2-3 kids running around banging on walls/floors all day to complete the luxurious feel ..

Again, I understand its your dream ... Therefore you are quite disconnected from the reality. You'll get your fill once you get here.

I have already reached out the the alumni network in FL, it's quite healthy and as one can imagine, bright people do amazing things no matter where they are ... There isn't something special in the soil in the valley, I was intelligent and capable before I came here and will be long after I leave.

You are California dreaming and it helps your drive to come here to write off the rest of the world as savages w/o intelligence. I get that.

*Cheers

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-24-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM

570 posts, read 1,730,421 times
it's ok. Blauskies will stay poor forever with his way of thinking.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
This is why I limit the personal info I share. So, i'll stop at saying that I worked in the private sector at a tech corp... Have been for years since I moved to the valley.

Come out and find the job of your dreams. I'll be busy using the capital I have amassed to create my own. Wont be buying a cookie cuter McMansion.. Will be buying a 3/2.5 starter home in a nice area in cash, putting it up for rent immediately, buying another to house my family (cash). Working my high paying engaging tech job that i took with me while also pursuing a venture I already have off the ground.

You mistake me for the typical bay area engineer.. I am not concerned with materialistic possessions. I enjoy financial freedom : not having to worry about rent/mortgage) and how I am going to take care of my family.. This allows me to pursue whatever I want.

Now explain to me how you achieve that easier in California? You don't. Being in California doesn't automatically make you non-materialistic. Quite the opposite... You will find the parking lots at most tech companies littered w/ BMWs,Lexus, and the new cool luxury (Audi) ..

People are just barely getting by here too .. Because they inflated the hell out of the real-estate and a shack = half a million makes them hipsters now? Yay, you can only afford a shack.. You're humble now? No.. your shack costs 4-5x as much as mine ..

Keep dreaming .. and once you're done, Come out here and taste reality. I have tasted the reality of both and am making an informed decision between them. You have yet to taste it. Come here. Fill up your plate and then your commentary will have some validity... and please don't make any more assumptions about me w/ the limited info i have given you.. You look like a fool and are already wrong out the gate from extending what i have told you about myself.
You are really full of hot air, if you "amassed" a pile of wealth, then your surely not struggling. Why are you complaining? Sounds like you hit pay dirt by moving out there instead of coming back to the Stupid State, biting the hand that feeds are we? Talking about how expensive it is there then saying your paying for a home in Orlando with cash, really? Are you "barely getting by", doesn't sound like it. Obviously you have no student loan debt, that must have been free too? We both know getting an education at CMU isn't cheap. Wow, I'm impressed, someone who claims to have so much but complains about how expensive it is there.

I have been out there already, thank you very much. I have no argument that it's expensive but where I'm at now isn't exactly Dollar General prices, it's all relative. Have fun in Orlando and move already, what are you waiting for the Floriduh forums are waiting for you. Learn how to Tebow while your at it, might get you some browny points at your next tech job.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
it's ok. Blauskies will stay poor forever with his way of thinking.
Say's the kid in Weston on his iMac lol Timmy it's time to go to bed, school night.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You don't live here so i'll let you know why its hard...

Pull up google maps.. about 50% of the region by the coast (the hills in between the valley and the coast) are open reserves .. no building allowed.
-> Constrained supply meet demand ..

The east bay ? That's where the socio-economic climate has pushed all of the low income people. So, the high wage earners aren't integrated and thus are all cluster @#$*ing each other in ever increasing amounts as they pack into the bay area.

Corporations pack in here like rats .. Not because it is so amazing but because of : Herd mentality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Why are there rentals all over Orlando?
Step #1 : Pull up a map.. Note, there are no open reserves .. There are swaths of land that can be built on and is being .. As demand increases, supply increases to meet demand. Comfortably sized homes are a norm because there are large supplies of land .. Also note there is no bay smack dab in the middle.
Unconstrained supply .. Meet demand.

Demand there : it's a growing city .. Demand is growing and is meeting a healthy supply that is stretched out in multiple directions.. As one place is developed and occupied, development pushes somewhere else. Homes are affordable so people buy homes .. No need to rent.

Demand here : it fluxes and is concentrated.. even more concentrated as corporations pack in like rats .. There aren't areas to branch out development so they engage in dense housing .. traffic turns the sh*t ..etc. Also, people can't afford homes here (even w/ $100k+ salaries) .. so, instead they are forced to rent .. so, the rental market is hot.. I think i posted an article early.. here :
Bay Area renters squeezed in tight market - San Jose Mercury News

Pack you in nicely like rats complete w/ families w/ 2-3 kids running around banging on walls/floors all day to complete the luxurious feel ..

Again, I understand its your dream ... Therefore you are quite disconnected from the reality. You'll get your fill once you get here.

I have already reached out the the alumni network in FL, it's quite healthy and as one can imagine, bright people do amazing things no matter where they are ... There isn't something special in the soil in the valley, I was intelligent and capable before I came here and will be long after I leave.

You are California dreaming and it helps your drive to come here to write off the rest of the world as savages w/o intelligence. I get that.

*Cheers
Supply and demand, if you took the job market and companies that exist there and dropped it in South Florida it would be no different if not worse the land down here is maxed out and the Glades is no build. Fact is this state sucks for anyone who wants to advance their career in the tech sector, there are little to no world class companies here. Often you will take a job and be locked in it with no wiggling room because they know there is nothing else here and your left with a take it or leave it attitude, once you buy a house they got you even more. Good luck if you bought during the boom and paid $200K over current assessed value. Sitting at your job feeling miserable because you locked yourself into dead end job just to have that house with the pool.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Say's the kid in Weston on his iMac lol Timmy it's time to go to bed, school night.
I went from being a CMU grad working in the research campus off Moffet to a kid in Weston on his iMac.

Any other comments while I continue to bring your dream to reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California