Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerone View Post
Thanks to those of you who provided helpful information. Unfortunately, I have to sift through so many posts that are simply nonsensical rantings or comments. It would be so nice if those could be kept to another thread.
But that would just generate complaints on that one. Some things you just can't win.

The bottom line is kind of simple. California is full of marvelous places in which one can retire. In the end it all comes down to personal preferences, personal finances, wanted or desired amenities and a whole host of other factors that usually go into retirement decisions. While asking for advice and recommendations makes perfectly good sense, in the end it's going to have to come down to eliminating some off the top, more research of what's left and boots-on-the-ground as the final part of the selection process. Best of luck. Hope you'll land right where you want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Personally, I was born in California and I shall retire in Colorado. Colorado Springs (area thereof) to be exact. Housing is cheaper, along with all of the other costs; state sales tax (first 20K isn't taxed), doesn't apply to food; power, garbage, cable, etc is cheaper.

Although some will say: The weather. Its not all that bad. Nothing wrong with a little bit of snow. It doesn't snow all that much and I love the mountains. All facilities you want: shopping, restaurants, gyms, etc are all in this area. It just seems to me to be a much better place to live, for much less.
Brother's in-laws moved to Colorado Springs from San Barbara 17 years ago... they built a home and loved every minute of it till they started having problems with ice...

He slipped and broke his hip and later found they just were not getting out in the winter...

Last year, they sold their home and bought a Condo in Santa Barbara and said it was the right decision... dealing with snow and ice became just too much for them.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-18-2012 at 09:10 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
Part of the problem is ID, where I have lived. The last time I checked it was 75% Mormon. Good people and they make it much safer than other places, but it does cut down the association you are looking for. You will need to look for friends a little harder especially in a rural area. Go to community functions and other events and watch for smaller groups of people who do not seem to be part of the "larger" group. I lived there for several years and made friends with neighbors, but we lived in a housing track that was made up of a variety of people.
I have had Mormon neighbors everywhere I have lived... found Mormons make great neighbors. Always willing to help in a pinch... even been invited to a couple of weddings...

Maybe California Bay Area Mormons are different?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:20 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have had Mormon neighbors everywhere I have lived... found Mormons make great neighbors. Always willing to help in a pinch... even been invited to a couple of weddings...

Maybe California Bay Area Mormons are different?
Hi,

The person was looking for regular associates in going to dinner, etc, who were not trying to convert them. My Mormon neighbors when I lived in ID were great people BUT if you did not join them, you were an outsider when it came to any significant association. I understand their reasoning, just was pointing out the problem the OP was having which required looking for non Mormon friends in general.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But that would just generate complaints on that one. Some things you just can't win.

The bottom line is kind of simple. California is full of marvelous places in which one can retire. In the end it all comes down to personal preferences, personal finances, wanted or desired amenities and a whole host of other factors that usually go into retirement decisions. While asking for advice and recommendations makes perfectly good sense, in the end it's going to have to come down to eliminating some off the top, more research of what's left and boots-on-the-ground as the final part of the selection process. Best of luck. Hope you'll land right where you want to be.
Yep, I spent 3 years searching and visiting. Ended up in Eastern TN and love it. Perfect, nope and no ocean. However a person making $10,000 a year and selling and buying a $250,000 dollar home (original basis for my CA home) will save better than $12,000.00 in costs plus have more land and no need to water anything. The slight difference in sales tax will be offset by gas savings alone. Right now gas here is about $3.38 for regular. Basically a 12% or better savings over a comparable area in CA for COL. However East TN is like living in a State or Federal park all the time, for beauty. I can live with the few weeks of real cold (though I don't like it), which is nothing like real bad cold in the North of the Country and the humidity is not as bad as many claim though I do prefer the CA dry air in OC, SD and Riverside Cty where I have lived. In the winter if it gets too cold, I can use my savings from moving to go to the keys or other warm places and enjoy the warmth and still come out money ahead. On top of that I am 1 day drive from Chicago, DC, East Texas, Pennsylvania, FL and tons of history. I can be at the beach in NC or SC in 8 to 10 hours for a long weekend and have warm water, something CA is sadly missing. To each their own and no place is perfect, but when weighing the pros and cons, this was far better than CA, which I still love. If I were younger it might be different, as I spent my youth and most of my life in CA and loved it then.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Brother's in-laws move to Colorado Springs from San Barbara 17 years ago... they built a home and loved every minute of it till they started having problems with ice...

He slipped and broke his hip and later found they just were not getting out in the winter...

Last year, they sold their home and bought a Condo in Santa Barbara and said it was the right decision... dealing with snow and ice became just too much for them.
Exactly. I've seen this time and again (so sorry to hear about his hip, btw).

You're right. Retirement and snow/ice often don't mix well, hence my recommendation of NC, or somewhere with mild climate and low cost of living. A condo in Santa Barbara sounds simply delightful, and is a great recommendation.

Since the OP left CA, I didn't recommend SB, but that was my first thought (great minds ). I am eager to visit SB (and hope to in a few weeks). From what I've seen from a friend's daily feed of family photos, it looks amazing! If I love it in person, I'd love nothing more than to retire there (if I can afford it), once I no longer need to be in the middle of a larger town for work (although, I haven't ruled it out living there sooner, if I can find work there). If I can't afford SB on a retirement "income", my retirement "Plan B" is NC, or the general area. But who knows? That day is still far off, unfortunately.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 10-18-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yep, I spent 3 years searching and visiting. Ended up in Eastern TN and love it. Perfect, nope and no ocean. However a person making $10,000 a year and selling and buying a $250,000 dollar home (original basis for my CA home) will save better than $12,000.00 in costs plus have more land and no need to water anything. The slight difference in sales tax will be offset by gas savings alone. Right now gas here is about $3.38 for regular. Basically a 12% or better savings over a comparable area in CA for COL. However East TN is like living in a State or Federal park all the time, for beauty. I can live with the few weeks of real cold (though I don't like it), which is nothing like real bad cold in the North of the Country and the humidity is not as bad as many claim though I do prefer the CA dry air in OC, SD and Riverside Cty where I have lived. In the winter if it gets too cold, I can use my savings from moving to go to the keys or other warm places and enjoy the warmth and still come out money ahead. On top of that I am 1 day drive from Chicago, DC, East Texas, Pennsylvania, FL and tons of history. I can be at the beach in NC or SC in 8 to 10 hours for a long weekend and have warm water, something CA is sadly missing. To each their own and no place is perfect, but when weighing the pros and cons, this was far better than CA, which I still love. If I were younger it might be different, as I spent my youth and most of my life in CA and loved it then.
These are fabulous points. I've actually heard a lot of great things about TN. I even had a friend move there just last month, and the girls and I are planning a trip soon to TN to visit her (which isn't at all because she got a new puppy this week ).

Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,909,798 times
Quote:
Hi,

The person was looking for regular associates in going to dinner, etc, who were not trying to convert them. My Mormon neighbors when I lived in ID were great people BUT if you did not join them, you were an outsider when it came to any significant association. I understand their reasoning, just was pointing out the problem the OP was having which required looking for non Mormon friends in general.
I find most religious people have a cult mentality like that. If you're not part of the cult then the other cult members try to hinder that friendship because they want the cult and only the cult to influence their thinking. It's sad but Mormons tend to be worse than most on this group/cult level thinking.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I find most religious people have a cult mentality like that. If you're not part of the cult then the other cult members try to hinder that friendship because they want the cult and only the cult to influence their thinking. It's sad but Mormons tend to be worse than most on this group/cult level thinking.
That's a topic for another board.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
No sirree! No bias or prejudice in this bit of drivel at all. Must be one of them independent thinkin', enlightened types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California