Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 PM

47 posts, read 408,840 times

Advertisements

i'm considering the option of moving to santa barbara early next year- currently live in central florida. will i be able to make ends meet on a small salary of 24,000/year (before taxes)?
i'm single, own a car but have no car payment, no debt and don't mind living in a small studio apartment, but without roomates. a friend of mine was able to live alone ok farther south (san diego) and he didn't make much more than i do. any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by Nexis; 10-16-2007 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times
That will be vary hard to do. Not impossible but very hard to do. Rent about 1200 if you want a place to yourself,and thats a dump. Jobs are low pay, crime is high, weather during the winter is great, summers are foggy and cold. One of the most beautiful places is all it has going for it. Just my 2 cents though.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
i'm considering the option of moving to santa barbara early next year- currently live in central florida. will i be able to make ends meet on a small salary of 24,000/year (before taxes)?
i'm single, own a car but have no car payment, no debt and don't mind living in a small studio apartment, but without roomates. a friend of mine was able to live alone ok farther south (san diego) and he didn't make much more than i do. any help would greatly be appreciated.

Maybe you could check into renting a room in someone's house. Rents, even for a studio, are way above what you could afford. Not sure what your net would be; but 24k gross is not even half of what it would cost to live in Sta Barbara and be able to do much of anything. What type of employment will you be seeking that will earn 24k?

Why have you selected S.B.? I am sure there are a multitude of places to live that are much more affordable for you.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Santa Barbara's the wrong place to move on a low income unless you want to share an apartment with 3 college kids.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
That will be vary hard to do. Not impossible but very hard to do. Rent about 1200 if you want a place to yourself,and thats a dump. Jobs are low pay, crime is high, weather during the winter is great, summers are foggy and cold. One of the most beautiful places is all it has going for it. Just my 2 cents though.
thanks. thats good to know. i picked SB because of its warm climate, cleanliness, incredible scenery, mountains rising abruptly so close to the coast and spanish architecture. i didn't know crime was a big problem there. i was hoping to avoid the kinds of things one might find in LA-gangs, shootings, graffiti, nightmarish traffic, smog, ect. would you say crime is widespread or limited to certain parts of town? i would want to avoid those areas if at all possible when searching for a studio.

Last edited by Nexis; 10-17-2007 at 06:40 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 06:17 PM

609 posts, read 2,243,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
I don't think crime is high by any standards. But 24k is not going to cut it for you. My combined income was in the 100k and I moved out of there, not to discourage you or anything.

I think you should look at a major metro area if you are going to start at around in the 20's. The metro will have better jobs options. SB unfortunately does not have many industries.

On the other hand, it is the best place I have ever lived in my life.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:29 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times
When i lived in SB for 10 years i had items stolen from my boat 2 times my tires slashed once so to me SB does have some crime. As far as the Gangs they are called wannabe gang members and would not last a night in LA. Smog is not a problem at all and the city keeps up on any graffiiti. The city takes very good care of the place i feel they put tax dollars to good use. It would be much cooler then Florida.Traffic in town isnt bad but to go south on 101 at times can be bad. I myself moved away to Lake Havasu City and i like here more but i love heat. Havasu sure isnt for everyone. SB would not be a place for me to return to live even if it was cheap. Mostly because there is no summer its about 70 year round for highs thats great for most but not for me. Winter is perfect though.
24,000 a year before taxes wont cut it there. Stay away from the east side and west side mostly during the night. The waterfront and mesa are good and so is the north end. One more thing there are ALOT of homeless people all over town some bother you some dont but they are an eyesore for the town.They seem to double in population during the winter months.

Last edited by Havasu; 10-17-2007 at 09:41 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 12,664 times
I have lived in Santa Barbara and did ok on a limited salary. I lived for a time with a roomate and did ok and lived by myself for a while and still did ok on less than 30k. Really it all depends on how you live and what you are willing to sacrifice. I have lived in places like Honolulu and NYC and that were even more expensive than Santa Barbara and was able to pay my bills. With some searching you will be able to find some decent apartments for as low as $1000 a month but you have to look hard. I paid $1100 for an apartment which included utilities in the rent. I didn't drive much and took the bus almost everywhere. I loved living in Santa Barbara. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 PM

You all have been very helpful, thank you. Looks like I'll have to find a roomate for a while till my income builds. So are people generally friendly and welcoming to outsiders or do they shun you unless you are part of their clic. Is the Hollywood "attitude" prevalent here?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:04 PM

56 posts, read 266,826 times
Its very expensive to live there. Gas there is about 50 cents a gallon more then national average. Jobs pay very little.Yep!! Get a few lousy roommates that might clean you out when your working 2 jobs to make it. Also dont be mad when someone side swipes your car because you had to park on the street because someone parked in your spot.
Good luck with Santa Barbara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California