Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
OT do you have some current info? Yours seems a bit dated.

California gets unexpected $4.3 billion in January revenue - Sacramento Business Journal

While that is really great news, you should read have the full report, it's unsettling:

As of January 31, that cash deficit totaled $15.7 billion and was covered with $5.7 billion of internal borrowing (temporary loans from special funds), and $10 billion of external borrowing.

Revenue is only the first act, the conclusion is the net total. We're still running some nasty deficits. We could always try cutting spending to go with the tax increases we voted for, but that would be good fiscal management and why would we ever do something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
While that is really great news, you should read have the full report, it's unsettling:

As of January 31, that cash deficit totaled $15.7 billion and was covered with $5.7 billion of internal borrowing (temporary loans from special funds), and $10 billion of external borrowing.

Revenue is only the first act, the conclusion is the net total. We're still running some nasty deficits. We could always try cutting spending to go with the tax increases we voted for, but that would be good fiscal management and why would we ever do something like that?
I did read the whole report.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows but it's also not as bad as OT reports.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
1 rep doesn't buy much, sadly. I will kindly pay you Tuesday as I find I must spread rep first.

But this post does give me the spot to further my "Move to Montana and North Dakota" campaign. I do so hope anyone in Montana or ND reading this will hand out coats to the recent arrivals and point the way through the snow to the oilfields.
Ah, the old "Wimpy" system (look it up if the reference doesn't ring) ...

Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Ah, the old "Wimpy" system (look it up if the reference doesn't ring) ...
LoL. That's why I said it. I used to watch Popeye in the morning before I'd go to school in the 70's.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ah, but I'm not in good health. I've been partially paralyzed for months and am facing major, spinal surgery shortly which can be very dicey as it will be both cervical and lumbar to relieve pressure on both my spinal cord and various nerves..

Regardless, I prefer to stay put!
Wishing you the best.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Wishing you the best.
Thank you. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 PM

231 posts, read 590,667 times
My wife has had two back surgeries. Good luck Curmudgeon.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
My wife has had two back surgeries. Good luck Curmudgeon.
Thanks. Hope they turned out well for your wife. Don't know yet if it will be one or two surgeries for me.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM

231 posts, read 590,667 times
The first surgery was for a cyst pushing against her spinal cord. The second surgery was for a bone spur pushing against her spinal cord. First surgery in Ca. Second surgery in Wa. She had very limited mobility and extreme pain prior to both surgeries. She now has better mobility and less pain, but she wishes it was better. We go to the YMCA almost everyday so she can do her water therapy/exercises. She also goes to several water excercise classes at the YMCA. If you have any type of a facility like the YMCA near you it can really help with your recovery to get moving in the relative gentle safety of water. I feel for any person that has back pain that diminishes the quality of their life.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
The first surgery was for a cyst pushing against her spinal cord. The second surgery was for a bone spur pushing against her spinal cord. First surgery in Ca. Second surgery in Wa. She had very limited mobility and extreme pain prior to both surgeries. She now has better mobility and less pain, but she wishes it was better. We go to the YMCA almost everyday so she can do her water therapy/exercises. She also goes to several water excercise classes at the YMCA. If you have any type of a facility like the YMCA near you it can really help with your recovery to get moving in the relative gentle safety of water. I feel for any person that has back pain that diminishes the quality of their life.
I second this. I've paid a few claims that included gym memberships for life so the injured worker could swim or do gentler exercises in the pool. It's a lot easier on the ol bod.

The constant pain, even if relatively manageable is quite wearing I'm told.

Hope your wife gets some improvement OGTSO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California