Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Ok, I'll give you this much credit, and it isn't much. I won't completely disregard what you are saying. I will wait for the dooms days to come like I have been for the years those of your ilk have been spewing this baloney.

First people were leaving "in droves". Now since that argument no longer works, "it's the quality of people leaving". We're left with such a low quality that another states governor has to try to convince the low quality remaining to move to his state? Obviously is these last few need convincing they weren't planning on going anywhere.

Now what's your excuse?
"My ilk?" You seem to working off of some template that doesn't apply to me, but I've been questioning your sanity lately. Again, I don't work off of sensationalism and hyperbole like many of the others here and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't lump me in with them.

I don't believe I've claimed that people were "leaving in droves." But the second part is actually a reasonable claim that only a blinded partisan buffoon would casually dismiss and I've cited the reason why with hard numbers. It isn't corporations supposedly leaving that should be of any concern to people, the middle class however is. That is the backbone of any society.

If Governor Tool out there in Texas wants to poach businesses away from CA using the tools of crony capitalism, that's his business. In a state of nearly 40 million people, I'm sure he'll find plenty here to sort through and it isn't like we're doing much to keep them other than parroting away about how great the weather is. There may come a time when leaning on Silicon Valley and Hollywood while living off of those with higher incomes may no longer be enough to keep us afloat. I do hope that it never comes to that, but we're too committed to repeating our mistakes because that what the partisan playbook says we should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I doubt that we retirees who move to other states really are a significant lot numerically. We probably fall into three groups, none of them really very large. There are those who can't afford the state on reduced, retirement income. There are those who move to another state to be closer to adult children and grandchildren. There are those who simply want a change of pace and/or a reurn to somewhere they've lived and enjoyed in the past.

My parents retired in Mariposa County. They could have moved to Oregon or Oklahoma (where they are from originally), but wanted to stay relatively close to their kids who are all in California. They enjoyed their 16 years there, but after dad passed away mom moved to Oroville to be closer to my two sisters (and I ended up moving here as well from the coast).

Just a message to those who retired out of state far from their kids - it may be a lark now, but if your family is in California, chances are there will come a day when you HAVE to move back. Being elderly that far from the help, love and companionship of your kids and grandkids would suck.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM

253 posts, read 349,152 times
Quote:
Stupid. Who's to say that some people aren't helping their college kids move? Or some aren't relocating a family member who can no longer care for themselves?

See everyone, this is the kind of lunacy I am talking about. UHAUL trucks? Seriously???

Stupid? Hey thanks, you have a great day too.

if you think about what I wrote, I was not disagreeing with you...

I was only noting likely bias...

...Actually, you could use the likely bias in the data to argue that the "more wealthy" are not leaving California as much as feared, as they most likely would use a moving service. (statistically though, it's a shakey call)

As too your assumption of Uhaul, Ryder, and Budget trucks being mostly for College students and the elderly, that is unsubstantiated, and biased in of itself.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post
Stupid? Hey thanks, you have a great day too.

if you think about what I wrote, I was not disagreeing with you...

I was only noting likely bias...

...Actually, you could use the likely bias in the data to argue that the "more wealthy" are not leaving California as much as feared, as they most likely would use a moving service. (statistically though, it's a shakey call)

As too your assumption of Uhaul, Ryder, and Budget trucks being mostly for College students and the elderly, that is unsubstantiated, and biased in of itself.
Let me clear that up. I wasn't calling you stupid. I was remarking at the situation as a whole.

I also didn't say the moving truskc were used by those exclusively. I simply said that to point out that, perhaps that's not a good indicator.

Last edited by Gentoo; 02-09-2013 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
"My ilk?" You seem to working off of some template that doesn't apply to me, but I've been questioning your sanity lately. Again, I don't work off of sensationalism and hyperbole like many of the others here and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't lump me in with them.

I don't believe I've claimed that people were "leaving in droves." But the second part is actually a reasonable claim that only a blinded partisan buffoon would casually dismiss and I've cited the reason why with hard numbers. It isn't corporations supposedly leaving that should be of any concern to people, the middle class however is. That is the backbone of any society.

If Governor Tool out there in Texas wants to poach businesses away from CA using the tools of crony capitalism, that's his business. In a state of nearly 40 million people, I'm sure he'll find plenty here to sort through and it isn't like we're doing much to keep them other than parroting away about how great the weather is. There may come a time when leaning on Silicon Valley and Hollywood while living off of those with higher incomes may no longer be enough to keep us afloat. I do hope that it never comes to that, but we're too committed to repeating our mistakes because that what the partisan playbook says we should do.
I question my sanity too considering I should know better than to discuss these things with you. You may not have said yourself people are leaving in droves but you've had no problem agreeing with those who have. Guilty by association.

It just amazes me that you live in CA but think that it's ok that some, even if you're not one of them, are hoping to see the state fail.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post
Yeah, I frequently moved myself (drafting a few friends) until my 30's. I'd get a moving allowance and turn it into a profit by doing that on the cheap. Wasn't that bad. And a good reason for a pizza and beer party once the truck was loaded and unloaded.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
My parents retired in Mariposa County. They could have moved to Oregon or Oklahoma (where they are from originally), but wanted to stay relatively close to their kids who are all in California. They enjoyed their 16 years there, but after dad passed away mom moved to Oroville to be closer to my two sisters (and I ended up moving here as well from the coast).

Just a message to those who retired out of state far from their kids - it may be a lark now, but if your family is in California, chances are there will come a day when you HAVE to move back. Being elderly that far from the help, love and companionship of your kids and grandkids would suck.
I suppose it could but with all the above scattered throughout three states spanning 2,500 miles in distance and none of which we want to live in, we chose a place somewhat in the middle that we did want. We also escape a lot of the young family drama this way and are at peace. We earned it!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM

253 posts, read 349,152 times
Quote:
Let me clear that up. I wasn't calling you stupid. I was remarking at the situation as a whole.

I also didn't say the moving truskc were used by those exclusively. I simply said that to point out that, perhaps that's not a good indicator.

Thanks.

Let me be likewise clear...

United Van lines is not equally available proportionate to population in every state, nor is it used compareably between states due to supply/demand mismatch. This makes the reported data of very limited strength: it makes the data a poor indicator...

Additionally, I would not discount those who move themselves (there are vastly more 20'-26' Uhaul, Ryder and budget trucks on I10, I40, I70, I80, I90, I93... than United Van trucks.), regardless of whether their numbers fit your assumptions...

And in open honesty, I hope for the best for California, for those who stay and those who come in the future, and regardless of whether more or less, come or go, or who comes or goes, I'm leaving, as soon as comfortably possible, for professional and personal reasons.

Last edited by Reason42; 02-09-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
I question my sanity too considering I should know better than to discuss these things with you. You may not have said yourself people are leaving in droves but you've had no problem agreeing with those who have. Guilty by association.

It just amazes me that you live in CA but think that it's ok that some, even if you're not one of them, are hoping to see the state fail.
Where did I say I hope California fails? Where are you getting this from? Because I question the way we do things, because I point out the obvious that it isn't working?

Unlike these out of staters who keep wandering onto this board with their broken record posts, I live here, so I have a stake in the future of this state. And no, I don't generally agree with them, that's your delusion. Disagreeing with me is all well and good, but don't make up crap about me because you have so much difficulty dealing with opposing viewpoints. That's your hang up.

I'm just amazed at those who remain the quintessential definition of Einstein's definition of insanity because their world view prevents critical thinking of any kind. It's a mental illness.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Where did I say I hope California fails? Where are you getting this from? Because I question the way we do things, because I point out the obvious that it isn't working?
I have a reading comprehension problem???

Quote:
I'm not even gonna bother with the rest of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California