Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:47 AM

68 posts, read 184,451 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a young student planning to study physics in community college before applying to grad school. I would like a place where there is:
1. good community college(s) (that I can transfer out of with my major)
2. pedestrian friendly or has good public transportation system (the Los Angeles one is a mess)
3. enough jobs for someone without a college degree

It is also preferable that the place is minority-friendly (I am Asian).

I am moving out of Los Angeles due to the high rent and the lack of jobs. I lucked out with $400/month rent for a clean place but will have to move out soon. I prefer a city/suburb where I can find rent for about that price, roommates or not. I have lived in LA without a car for two years.

I prefer somewhere more inland and Northern, but anywhere is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 03:02 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,870 times
Sacramento. /thread.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 AM

That city was in mind but I don't have enough info about the transit system there. Is it as bad as LA's? The problem with LA is that everything's super spread out.

Speaking of CC's, the only one I know of is American River College. If anyone knows some good CCs that I can transfer from, that would be great.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdyourgod View Post
That city was in mind but I don't have enough info about the transit system there. Is it as bad as LA's? The problem with LA is that everything's super spread out.

Speaking of CC's, the only one I know of is American River College. If anyone knows some good CCs that I can transfer from, that would be great.
I know they have a transit system and plenty of community colleges in the area. Not just Sacramento proper, but the neighboring cities too. Here's a list of all the CC's in CA: College Alphabetic Listing

I suggest visiting the Sacramento forum if you have any specific questions about the area.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Thanks, I'll look over there but I am still open to hearing about other cities.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,943 times
You may want to consider Merced. Merced offers a JC and a UC. Public transportation drops you off in front of the school but it's easy to get around town on a bike. Rents are very reasonable but jobs may be difficult to find. Merced may be a consideration.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
I like the Merced concept.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
You may want to consider Merced. Merced offers a JC and a UC. Public transportation drops you off in front of the school but it's easy to get around town on a bike. Rents are very reasonable but jobs may be difficult to find. Merced may be a consideration.
Interesting recommendation but the unemployment rate is obscenely high there. Among the worst in California I believe. That's a big concern.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,186 times
I doubt that many students majoring in physics attend a CC. There are some good CC, but there are some very bad one's as well. Research the CCs. While it might be fine to take some general ed classes at a CC, you might not get enough from even the beginning physics classes, and may have to repeat if you're not very, very careful. People working in that field must have advanced degrees--and must have grades high enough to get into those programs--all very competitive.

So don't just think on the cheap--you could waste a few years and gain little towards your goals. Don't discount 4 year colleges out of state either. It was a wash to send my son out of state and pay higher tuition, because the housing costs were so much lower than in SF or LA.

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM

CC's are the only ones I can afford as I don't qualify for fafsa (long story). If I don't take physics classes, at least I can get by gen ed covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California