Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,941,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I think it's cause being a printer afforded a nice enough lifestyle to be able to fish when and a where he wanted. That's just me though.
*Swish* ... 3-pointer from outside the key.
Me and the Mutt go way back. We met in S.F. after respective tours in Vietnam. Comparing notes it turned out that we worked some of the same missions in different squadrons -- he was SAR chopper crew -- my squadron flew cover. Anyway, I'd get all worked up sometimes about something from that war crap and the Mutt would say, "Yeah" ... then he'd light a doobie and suck it in and say, "but it don't mean nothin' man." Mutt doesn't get too worked up too easy about much. But he loves to fish. So he just worked the trade he grew up around, printing -- and went fishing. He's a great example of coulda been a nuclear physicist but just didn't care to. I just explained because he won't likely bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 04:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,481,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
*Swish* ... 3-pointer from outside the key.
Me and the Mutt go way back. We met in S.F. after respective tours in Vietnam. Comparing notes it turned out that we worked some of the same missions in different squadrons -- he was SAR chopper crew -- my squadron flew cover. Anyway, I'd get all worked up sometimes about something from that war crap and the Mutt would say, "Yeah" ... then he'd light a doobie and suck it in and say, "but it don't mean nothin' man." Mutt doesn't get too worked up too easy about much. But he loves to fish. So he just worked the trade he grew up around, printing -- and went fishing. He's a great example of coulda been a nuclear physicist but just didn't care to. I just explained because he won't likely bother.
I kinda figured that I was just being me. I don't blame him for not wanting to explain all the time. Sometimes it just isn't worth the time. of course this after I responded to a post in the Seattle forum about an earthquake blowing a person apart Don't ask

Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,748,167 times
Well, I done come up with a new poem for Veterans down in the Free Chatty Chat thread.

SAR isn't a job for the feint hearted I'm told.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,941,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Well, I done come up with a new poem for Veterans down in the Free Chatty Chat thread.

SAR isn't a job for the feint hearted I'm told.
How about that. And it doesn't pay much over minimum wage either. Better knuckleheads like the Mutt and me should try to BE something of worth in society ... you know, like maybe scientists or engineers that design the weapons ... just sayin' ...

Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,276,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
While the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation or productivity, that has minimal bearing on an "entry level" position. It was never meant to provide a "living wage", that requires learned skills. Productivity is the result of many things and not usually the work of minimum wage earners.

I agree. The productivity gains largely came from machinery designed, engineered, built, and programmed by higher salaried people.

Factory workers are a lot more productive today (meaning it requires far fewer to produce the same volume) because of these machines.

The minimum wage workers themselves did not become more productive on their own. A factory worker today cannot manually fasten bottle caps any faster today than was done 50 years ago.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 PM

880 posts, read 1,420,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Were you picking crops?
Nope learning injection molding.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,276,204 times
I imagine congress is far less productive today than they were 50 years ago even though their staffs and aggregate salaries are quite a bit higher. Let's say they are 1/2 as productive as they were in 1960 (I am being generous). I propose that each Senator/Representative has 1/2 the salary budget than they had in 1960. Seems fair.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,892,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I imagine congress is far less productive today than they were 50 years ago even though their staffs and aggregate salaries are quite a bit higher. Let's say they are 1/2 as productive as they were in 1960 (I am being generous). I propose that each Senator/Representative has 1/2 the salary budget than they had in 1960. Seems fair.
Many are quite proud of being as unproductive as possible these days. Works for the well-off; others, not so much.

'Twould be nice if there wasn't so much blatant elitism in here. It's OK to live a modest lifestyle, no matter what media, culture, community, or other fountains of refuse try to ram down our throats. Just because we were born into a capitalist culture wholly consumed with money, stuff, and power doesn't mean we're slaves to being unwillingly absorbed into approving of or appropriating it.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,748,982 times
Everyone gets a raise for doing the same unskilled, high school dropout jobs they've been doing for too long. Why?

I don't know what people were thinking when they passed this law. I'm guessing they wanted to punish the greedy employers for exploiting the "good, honest" minimum wage workers. Well, it doesn't work that way.

Now we all get to pay more for the same services.

That's one more reason to spend one's money outside SJ's city limits and when one considers the cost of parking in DTSJ, it's one more reason to avoid that money pit in particular.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,892,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

That's one more reason to spend one's money outside SJ's city limits and when one considers the cost of parking in DTSJ, it's one more reason to avoid that money pit in particular.
Like what, SF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California