Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's generally any Hawaiian that's also a surfer doing that ain't it? And not just the "native hawaiian" kind. I pointed out earlier that dropping in on one of their waves out of turn is a very bad thing to do.
I grew up in Santa Cruz, so I'm accustomed to the fact that surfers of all backgrounds all over the world are willing to kick your arse for showing up at their surf break(or throw rocks at you or wax your car). Even in a few places in Oregon that might happen.

But no, I'm just talking about just being on the wrong place in the wrong part of Hawaii at the wrong time(twice, on two different islands along with other times), and for all I know the guys who were threatening me as a "effin' haole" might not have been Native Hawaiians. I went to school in Oregon with a lot of people from Hawaii(of a variety of ethnicities, though most were probably Fillipino or Japanese although they could be anything from Portugese and so on going back) and when I told them those stories they'd reply, "Yeah, tough break cuz, you picked a bad spot..." Just a few bad apples, right?

Last edited by Deezus; 03-26-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Well Jesus, Deezus. Sorry to hear that.

Maholo.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:54 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Hawaiians in California malls probably get treated better than haoles who go to the wrong beach in Hawaii...

And I love Hawaii and have plenty of friends from there, but it's one of few places in the world I've travelled ever been threatened with a beat down simply for having the wrong ethnicity...
Gosh.

(obvious you are caucasian. Not used to taking crapola gave you away.)

Old 03-26-2013, 03:57 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm sure San Francisco will pass an ordinance outlawing such egregious behavior and requiring that the City Council have at least one seat dedicated to a Pacific Islander. Surely the state legislature will follow suit, not to be outdone.
lol...that, or they'll threaten to kick out all retailers that dont cater to all body sizes.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
My cat Rounder that thinks he's a dog is double discriminated against probably.
Haha. Well, Senno. Naming a Kitt'N Rounder might be a problem... it encourages said vixen to grow in a portly manner. Kind of like calling a kid Chubby Checker... for life, he'll be known as XLarge & probably be forced to play checkers far too often.

My 25-lb angora, nicknamed Big, sends greetings & salutations to Rounder.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstu View Post
This strikes me as a contentious image to post, bigdumbdog. Are you saying that the only attractive Hawaiians are Hawaiians that look like Sammy Hagar and . . . I don't know . . . Sophia Loren?
Attractive? More like carnival attractions, those two. But where does one draw the line between "real" Hawaiians, and those who don't qualify for such a vaunted designation? (We have people who do that in CA, too. Awkwardly)

This 'ere chap should qualify:

Getting the Dead's Bill Kreutzmann out of his Kiluauea home to tour with anybody is like pulling teeth.

Jack Johnson has sewn some equally secure roots on Oahu. Then again, he was born and raised there.

Haven't heard much about these folks being denied their proper designations as Hawaiians. Even if they are mere haoles.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Attractive? More like carnival attractions, those two. But where does one draw the line between "real" Hawaiians, and those who don't qualify for such a vaunted designation? (We have people who do that in CA, too. Awkwardly)

This 'ere chap should qualify:

Getting the Dead's Bill Kreutzmann out of his Kiluauea home to tour with anybody is like pulling teeth.

Jack Johnson has sewn some equally secure roots on Oahu. Then again, he was born and raised there.

Haven't heard much about these folks being denied their proper designations as Hawaiians. Even if they are mere haoles.
Unfortunately, Bill Kreutzmann, Jack Johnson, and other "mere haoles" are not "Hawaiian" either, despite their long-time association with Hawaiʻi. All folks that reside in Hawaiʻi are not "Hawaiian" and all "Hawaiians" donʻt reside in Hawaiʻi. Here's link to a discussion in the "Hawaiʻi" forum that covers this in a little more detail...
Can you be Hawaiian, but not be of the Hawaiian race???

Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
You can be from Hawaii but not a Hawaiian.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You can be from Hawaii but not a Hawaiian.
Is that like being from Texas but not a Texan?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Is that like being from Texas but not a Texan?
Exactly! Well, almost....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California