Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
NorCal:

1/ Career and education oriented
2/ Better cohesiveness in terms of community goals
3/ Tech oriented
4/ More compact and convenient
5/ Better natural beauty
6/ People of different cultures/races socialize more frequently together
7/ Less pretentious
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,145,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Agree with your points!

I am a Bay Area native who moved to LA for college (UCLA) and thought I would return home after graduation. I ended up securing pretty good jobs (this was the late 1980's) in Southern California, and ended up living in Southern California for many, many years. I loved the warmer winters in SoCal (shorts and flip flops in January!) and the beach scene, restaurant scene and entertainment scene lured me away from the Bay Area.
Go Bruins!

Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, well, what a lot of people fail to understand is that you don't get 60's and 70's on or near the CA coast without fog (except in winter). The fog is nature's air conditioner. I, personally, couldn't live without it, for that reason.
Sure much too much fog and it's hard to break into the 70's or even 60's like up along the Northern CA coast.
Quote:
Wind, you want wind? How come I never hear anyone complaining about the wind on Lake Tahoe? Every afternoon, like clockwork. Honestly, I've never noticed the wind in Berkeley, Oakland, Fremont, El Cerrito, or even Marin. A nice cool breeze, maybe. Wind? What wind?
Probably because 8 million people don't live in Tahoe. What about SF or anywhere along the coast? You really never noticed the wind?

Quote:
RE: judgmental people: must be those transplants that I know nothing about.

Slight digression: will somebody please explain to me what "opinionated" means? I've never understood this accusation. Are we not supposed to have opinions?
opinionated - definition of opinionated by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Also for me it's when some people offer their strong opinions about something when they weren't really asked or nor was it wanted or go off a tangential rant.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:40 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,793 times
Quote:
Yes, well, what a lot of people fail to understand is that you don't get 60's and 70's on or near the CA coast without fog (except in winter). The fog is nature's air conditioner. I, personally, couldn't live without it, for that reason.

Wind, you want wind? How come I never hear anyone complaining about the wind on Lake Tahoe? Every afternoon, like clockwork. Honestly, I've never noticed the wind in Berkeley, Oakland, Fremont, El Cerrito, or even Marin. A nice cool breeze, maybe. Wind? What wind?

RE: judgmental people: must be those transplants that I know nothing about.

Slight digression: will somebody please explain to me what "opinionated" means? I've never understood this accusation. Are we not supposed to have opinions?
I thought you recently mentioned living in New Mexico??? I'm curious.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I thought you recently mentioned living in New Mexico??? I'm curious.
I've made a temporary detour to NM, and it's killing me. In fact, I've started migrating to the coast for summers, because I can't stand the heat here.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sure much too much fog and it's hard to break into the 70's or even 60's like up along the Northern CA coast.
Probably because 8 million people don't live in Tahoe. What about SF or anywhere along the coast? You really never noticed the wind?

opinionated - definition of opinionated by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Also for me it's when some people offer their strong opinions about something when they weren't really asked or nor was it wanted or go off a tangential rant.
There is no such thing as "too much fog" in the East Bay. It rolls out through the GG around 11 a.m. and the rest of the day is beautifully sunny and cool. What more could one want?

Coasts get wind. That's their nature. What do you want, custom-designed weather? Get real. Or try the Santa Cruz area. No wind to speak of there. Stinson doesn't seem to get much wind. meh...

OK, so "opinionated" = unsolicited and ranty opinions? Oh: "obstinately clinging to one's opinions, dogmatic". That makes sense. Thx. Kinda like the Politics forum, haha!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as "too much fog" in the East Bay. It rolls out through the GG around 11 a.m. and the rest of the day is beautifully sunny and cool. What more could one want?
I was talking more about the coast and SF although still parts of the inner East Bay can be a little too cool and windy from the fog imo.

Quote:
Coasts get wind. That's their nature. What do you want, custom-designed weather? Get real. Or try the Santa Cruz area. No wind to speak of there. Stinson doesn't seem to get much wind. meh...
Less wind and less fog and warmer temps like coastal Southern Ca, thought I made that obvious.

Just curious, where did you live in SoCal?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was talking more about the coast and SF although still parts of the inner East Bay can be a little too cool and windy from the fog imo.

Less wind and less fog and warmer temps like coastal Southern Ca, thought I made that obvious.

Just curious, where did you live in SoCal?
NorCal really isn't for some SoCal people. Some don't like the cold winters, they don't like the fog, wind at the beach, kvetch, kvetch. That's why NorCal people live in NorCal, and most SoCal people stay down there. To each his/her own. And I've never noticed the wind in San Fran. A cool breeze on a warm day keeps the weather just right. I haven't noticed excessive wind, not even at Ocean Beach.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM

188 posts, read 920,105 times
Ive lived in both SD and the Bay Area, people in SF are definitely more work oriented and ambitious; tend to be more snobbish towards food, music, cultural happenings and are more argumentative/opinionated on everything. None of this is necessarily bad and it makes the city what it is.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
NorCal really isn't for some SoCal people. Some don't like the cold winters, they don't like the fog, wind at the beach, kvetch, kvetch. That's why NorCal people live in NorCal, and most SoCal people stay down there. To each his/her own. And I've never noticed the wind in San Fran. A cool breeze on a warm day keeps the weather just right. I haven't noticed excessive wind, not even at Ocean Beach.
You don't actually spend much time here do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California