Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM

93 posts, read 422,735 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I am a 22 yr old college student. I currently live in Phoenix, AZ and I am sick to death of the heat and desert. I will be graduating with my Associate degree in Hospitality and Restaurant Mgt in July and plan on moving to Ca to finish up my Bachelor degree. I have visited there on several occasions, and my favorite place is Santa Barbara, unfortunatly, UCSB does not offer my major, nor do any schools in the nearby area. I would love to be near the beach so I could go there on days off and I am looking for somewhere cooler (of course, everywhere is cooler than Phx, it was like 90 today), and I plan on serving/bartending while in school so I need to be in an area that has a decent nightlife/restaurant industry. I have narrowed my search down to San Diego State University, Cal State Long Beach, and Cal Poly in SLO. Each of these colleges offer bachelor degrees in my major I am just hoping to get some input from people who live in these areas. I so excited to be moving there in a few months and any advice is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
San Diego...you can bartend in the Gaslamp, Im sure theyre always hiring. Plus its an awesome place.

I personally would pick SLO cause Im tired of big city life but then Im an old man waiting to die(33 yrs old LOL)

Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 AM

152 posts, read 878,480 times
Cal Poly SLO is a good school but the dining/nightlife scene in SLO is fairly nonexistent. However the wine industry in that area (Paso Robles) is starting to take off, so with that will come new restaurants and tourism. But you will make much more money serving tables at an upscale restaurant in the Gaslamp in San Diego than in SLO. Cal State Long Beach is also one of the better schools within the Cal State System, but either you love the LA metro or hate it.

As an aside, I would personally rather go to school in a smaller area so I could focus on studying, then move to a bigger city to start a career after graduation.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 AM

93 posts, read 422,735 times
Thanks! I really like to school in San Diego from what I have seen, but I am a little concerned about the cost of living there. I do have a car so I thought about looking for a place more on the outskirts of the city, how bad is traffic in SD. Would it be the commute from hell?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Thanks! I really like to school in San Diego from what I have seen, but I am a little concerned about the cost of living there. I do have a car so I thought about looking for a place more on the outskirts of the city, how bad is traffic in SD. Would it be the commute from hell?
Cost of living is high in Long Beach and SLO too. Except there's a lot less jobs in SLO.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:59 PM

63 posts, read 218,080 times
If you don't want too much money and don'r need the big night life scene, SLO is your best bet; it's a beautiful area. Big Sur, Morrow Bay are nearby. Much cooler in the winter and rainier that down south, esp. in the winter. Only about 200 miles to San Fran. Otherwise, S. D. is the way to go; perfect weather, job opportunities, culture and nightlife. The most popular area in Calif. that's why it's growing so fast. Also proximity to Baja with a wide variety of places to visit. Great beaches along S.D. county's shoreline.
P.S. I live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California