Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

I was reading that in Goleta, CA (near Santa Barbara) the city and many people threw many into a new ice skating rink.

Then I think about my area, which had a traditional recreational mini golf and roller skating rink that closed in a small beach town. Many people were so mad when the skating rink closed because it was profitable, but the land lord closed it down for an RV park, which the land lord saw would be more profitable. Even worse is the city granted him the zoning change for that land.

Now, we have a roller hockey rink in the college town that has rec skating sometimes. I have seen many roller hockey rinks have roller hockey sport games early in the day and rec skating in late afternoon and in the night. The last city manager put some of his money and worked hard for the new rink. Yet, our city has hardly done anything to publicize or get a company or hire staff to run the rec side of the facility. The same goes for our skate park which, until recently, was greatly neglected. I know skate parks aren't profitable at all, but I believe are very important.

Our current city council right now is a bit selective on developments they approve. They are against large scale commercial development (fair enough), but strongly support certain large housing projects and downtown redevelopment. I can't fathom why this city would deny new recreational needs for a growing young family population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 01:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
They are shutting down up here in the Bay Area. Land is too valuable.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:33 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
I like the idea of a combo ice skating/miniature golf course. Both activities could be improved with the extra challenge.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I like the idea of a combo ice skating/miniature golf course. Both activities could be improved with the extra challenge.
I think it's rare to see that. Chico combined roller skating with mini golf though. I think Rohnert Park has the same.

Where do young kids go for fun these days? Movie theaters, bowling, and skate parks is pretty much it in same places if you take away the skating rinks and mini golf.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Most kids park in front of the TV with a game controller in their hands. Many parents won't let them outside to roam the neighborhood and if they go somewhere (like mini golf or a skating rink - if they still exist in their town) the parents drive them. I see it will my ten year old nephew. His parents won't let him go anywhere on his own and we are in a fairly small town. He's fat as a tick because all he does is play on the computer or his XBOX after school. Its a shame.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Roller skating is a great date idea for adults, too, it's not just for kids. Roller rinks are perfect for kids' birthday parties, though. Maybe since people have been skating outdoors, indoor rinks were viewed by business owners as no longer needed or wanted...?

Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Ours kind of is. The old one, which was your disco-themed rink, closed up. There's a new one that's much more adult/sports focused. It's in an old warehouse outside of town. It's quite a bit larger, regulation hockey size for indoor soccer. It's got the roller derby league, roller hockey, indoor soccer. It's busy on those days. I've never been there when it's general session. I'm just going to guess that the answer is no. This one basically just looks like a warehouse with a modular floor slapped down.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Most kids park in front of the TV with a game controller in their hands. Many parents won't let them outside to roam the neighborhood and if they go somewhere (like mini golf or a skating rink - if they still exist in their town) the parents drive them. I see it will my ten year old nephew. His parents won't let him go anywhere on his own and we are in a fairly small town. He's fat as a tick because all he does is play on the computer or his XBOX after school. Its a shame.
Doncha know? There is a child abduction on every block, every day. And there are 1000X as many child abductions as there were in 1950. /sarc

Old 02-04-2014, 12:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Depends on whether you can find a way to give them hipster appeal, as certain bowling alleys (also an endangered species) have done.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Doncha know? There is a child abduction on every block, every day. And there are 1000X as many child abductions as there were in 1950. /sarc
that's a pretty grim point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California