Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Calif. company recalls 8.7 million pounds of meat

So thankful that I don't eat any of these parts! Nasty!

They include beef carcasses, oxtail, liver, cheeks, tripe and tongue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,582 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
t

So thankful that I don't eat any of these parts! Nasty!

You might be surprised to find that there could be any of those parts in your hot dogs, bologna or other kinds of sausage.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I googled this after reading the article, and all news articles say the same thing. The issue seems to be that the slaughterhouse didn't wait for an inspection before packaging the meat after the beef were killed. Nothing says there's anything actually wrong with the beef, and says there have been no reported illnesses.

Sounds like some kind of power struggle between the slaughterhouse and the inspectors. The slaughterhouse needs to keep things rolling, the inspectors expect them to wait for them to show up.

Or that's what I am thinking.

Hard to believe, but I actually have a beef cheek in my crockpot at this very minute! Not kidding! Making barbacoa. Not sure if it came from this slaughterhouse, but after considering digging through my garbage for the nasty sticky, bloody package to see where it came from......I decided I'm going to take my chances. It's my first time making barbacoa and I ain't throwing it away over some silly, yet extremely expensive power struggle with the govt inspectors.

However, if you no longer see posts from me after tomorrow, you may assume this was a bad idea.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Ox tails are an expensive treat.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You might be surprised to find that there could be any of those parts in your hot dogs, bologna or other kinds of sausage.
Well I don't have to worry about that either since I don't eat hot dogs, bologna or sausage

Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I googled this after reading the article, and all news articles say the same thing. The issue seems to be that the slaughterhouse didn't wait for an inspection before packaging the meat after the beef were killed. Nothing says there's anything actually wrong with the beef, and says there have been no reported illnesses.

Sounds like some kind of power struggle between the slaughterhouse and the inspectors. The slaughterhouse needs to keep things rolling, the inspectors expect them to wait for them to show up.

Hard to believe, but I actually have a beef cheek in my crockpot at this very minute! Not kidding! Making barbacoa. Not sure if it came from this slaughterhouse, but after considering digging through my garbage for the nasty sticky, bloody package to see where it came from......I decided I'm going to take my chances. It's my first time making barbacoa and I ain't throwing it away over some silly, yet extremely expensive power struggle with the govt inspectors.

However, if you no longer see posts from me after tomorrow, you may assume this was a bad idea.
Here is the reason for the ban

" Some 8.7 million pounds of meat from a Northern California company have been recalled because they came from "diseased and unsound" animals that weren't properly inspected, a federal agency announced Saturday."

"Thus, the products are adulterated, because they are unsound, unwholesome or otherwise are unfit for human food and must be removed from commerce," the FSIS reported. The Petaluma company made the recall."

Old 02-09-2014, 11:47 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
I don't eat any of those. Ewww

Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Exactly this.

The only thing people will focus on is the "unsound and diseased" portion of the official government speak without even thinking about it.

Not that governmental oversight of the food industry is a bad thing in and of itself.

FYI ox tail is a tasty treat when braised correctly.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Okay, it's official. Beef cheeks are really creepy! LOL!

I followed a recipe from a true Tex-Mex lady. Slow cooked in the crock pot overnight.

What awaited me this morning? Very weird, rubbery, sticky, kind of slimy, chunks of beef hidden inside some kind of fatty substance. Oh. So. Creepy!

I did separate all the actual obvious beef chunks from the rubbery mass, which I will put into some soup. I fed some of the rubbery stuff with some meat still attached to my dog, and she loved it. I tasted the meat chunks and it's okay, edible, but not worth it. But there was so little actual meat to be found inside the rubbery masses. So not worth it, unless you want to eat the rubbery stuff too...ick!

Anyway, we have both survived (me and the dog). But, for the same price per pound I can buy a brisket...

Not doing monkey brains ever. Not doing beef cheeks again...ever. I knew I'd never eat menudo, but I figured beef cheeks would at least be meat... Why are facial muscles so creepy?

Anyway, as I said, we lived to tell the tale...so much for the danger of beef cheeks.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM

Probably the diseased abscesses all around it's cheek muscles that ate away most of the muscle.

Slow cooking rubberizes abscesses

Sounds as gross as bone marrow that seems to be a big hit in CA. Ugh the first time I tried it...greasy nasty UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California