Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would cause you to leave California?
If it became unaffordable for me... 59 48.36%
If politics got too liberal/conservative/moderate... 17 13.93%
If it gets too crowded... 26 21.31%
If I had to move for work.... 26 21.31%
Nothing. I can't leave California, family/sunshine/hollywood/natural beauty/etc keeps me here and I can't find it anywhere else. 40 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 05:00 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,936 times

Advertisements

My breaking points were I'm tired of *******s, too expensive, and it's very difficult to start yourself as a young person in California. I was born here and I will never return to live here once I leave in March. Liberals can have California and run it the ground for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 06:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
All taxes aren't cheaper somewhere else, either. But, perpetuate the myth if you like. I guess it keeps the population down.
Where I am they are and virtually every State around me. CA is wayyyy to expensive in the desirable areas when it comes to the tax dollars (Note; property tax % is low, but with high values it is worse than may States). Where I am now as an example: No State Income tax, Property tax is 1.6% on 1/4 the value, No Mello Roos, car registration $25.00 per year regardless of the car year, sales tax about the same as where I last lived in CA. Unless you live in the North Eastern States taxes will be much lower overall.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
All taxes aren't cheaper somewhere else, either. But, perpetuate the myth if you like. I guess it keeps the population down.
California is consistently top 5 in highest burden tax states, coupled with an extreamly high cost of living and you have a state for either the ultra rich or poor.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
I love California, Hawaii, and Colorado. Oregon and Washington to a lesser extent. It took 3 years of living in an amazingly corrupt state (NM) to bring me back home.
Just trying something different in my move away from CA. Glad to be back.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,727,966 times
I love California. This is my home. I was born here, raised here and I intend to die here. There are other places that may be better in this way or in that way, but for me, none of them are home.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 AM

120 posts, read 123,795 times
I could not wait to leave Cali as I believe in self preservation.

A individual's earning should be their own, not community property. A individual has the right to protect themselves along with his/her family inside or outside of their home. Laws are laws and need to be enforced otherwise it's just tyranny.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:57 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
When I retire, I'll have to leave even if my family is still here. I don't know if this will entail leaving California altogether or just Los Angeles, but when I extrapolate the rising rents here I realize there's no way I can afford to stay. Maybe I'll find a little one-bedroom shack in the middle of the Mojave Desert as that would be all I can afford! I'm just wondering if I can stay until that day; it's still eighteen years away if I retire at age 70. I'm living in the wrong county; I can't stand the hordes of people, the traffic, the heat... Yuck.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadtoad View Post
I could not wait to leave Cali as I believe in self preservation.
A individual's earning should be their own, not community property. A individual has the right to protect themselves along with his/her family inside or outside of their home. Laws are laws and need to be enforced otherwise it's just tyranny.
Luckily, you have successfully made the move to the wide open spaces in the least densely populated state, where all those who yell at clouds and shoot road signs out of their Big Trucks can do so at their leisure, without bothering anybody, since there is virtually no one else around to care. We applaud this forward thinking. Any other dedicated preppers will find more than their fair share of similarly suitable domain for their affairs here. Surely preferable to the mythical Jefferson, no?
Oh, and a great place to yell about "*******s" as well, for those who are prone to that sort of thing.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:07 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
As reflected by this poll- and after election after election after election- those who cry the loudest about state's politics comprise an almost insignificant minority.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:10 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,084 times
Breaking point? I'm trying to get back in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California