Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 6,695 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Planning a trip and looking for some advice regarding when to leave for Thanksgiving holiday from Oceanside (North San Diego) to Mt. Shasta, CA. I have zero interest in joining the traffic train.

The original plan was to:

• Leave Oceanside at 1:30pm (can't leave earlier) on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving.

• Take the 15/215 through Temecula/Riverside/San Bernadino into Victorville/Hesperia which we would proceed onto 395.

• Drive for 10 hours until we get to Susanville, sleep

• Continue the next morning for 2 hours to Mt Shasta

The problem with this plan is I don't know how congested things will be before we get to the 395 "safe zone". We wouldn't get to Riverside until at least 3pm, which I feel traffic could be terrible by then?

Not sure if we would just make it by, as I know traffic is at it's worst from 3-5pm on this Holiday, and supposedly many leave L.A. for Vegas for Thanksgiving.

Also, chances of getting snowed in this time of year on the 395?

The second option is to:

• Get some solid sleep

• Wait until evening on Wednesday, after the madness and depart Oceanside say... 10PM.

• Take the 5 instead, straight shot all the way - miserable 10 hours overnight.

The only problem I have with this idea is driving all night sucks, plus the amount of drunk drivers since this is a night when people get hammered.. but are they on the roads?

It does seem the second plan is probably the better choice, but would like some feedback / opinions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 12:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Go with the second option and drive through the middle of the night. It took me almost 13 hours to drive from San Diego to the Bay Area on the Wed before Thanksgiving one year. Probably by far the worst day of the year to do that drive imo.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Go with the second option and drive through the middle of the night. It took me almost 13 hours to drive from San Diego to the Bay Area on the Wed before Thanksgiving one year. Probably by far the worst day of the year to do that drive imo.
Thanks Sav. Do you remember what time you had left?

Old 10-22-2015, 12:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
I left the UCSD area around 1230p if I recall.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Oh man, do you have to drive? It would take me hours to just get from Davis to the SF Bay Area with parking lot traffic if I left mid day on the Wed before Thanksgiving.

It will be better in the middle of the night for sure. That turkey better be good.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man, do you have to drive? It would take me hours to just get from Davis to the SF Bay Area with parking lot traffic if I left mid day on the Wed before Thanksgiving.

It will be better in the middle of the night for sure. That turkey better be good.
Haha well it's either driving, or spending $800 in airfare just to get to Northern California in addition to airport madness... pick your poison!

But seriously, I think most are going to assume my post is about driving the 5 during these hours - which is not part of the plan at all. The 395 was the route I assumed to be mellow during the afternoon, however that stretch through Riverside before reaching the 395 was still a worry.

The turkey... well, hoping there is some up there! No dinner plans, no family, we just love the area!!

Old 10-22-2015, 02:04 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,531,674 times
I used to live near where you do, & we often made that haul. I think you would be better off going up the 15 to 395, but do 15 in the middle of the night. Thanksgiving is the worst time to be on the road, seems like everyone is out there, but if you can avoid the exodus that will be on the 15 heading to Vegas, the 395 will be quickest/least stressful. Seriously, avoid 5 going through OC, LA, etc.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
I used to live near where you do, & we often made that haul. I think you would be better off going up the 15 to 395, but do 15 in the middle of the night. Thanksgiving is the worst time to be on the road, seems like everyone is out there, but if you can avoid the exodus that will be on the 15 heading to Vegas, the 395 will be quickest/least stressful. Seriously, avoid 5 going through OC, LA, etc.
Nice to see someone who is familiar with both routes. So you are saying do the 15/395 at night as opposed to the 5 at night?

Old 10-22-2015, 03:08 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,531,674 times
Yes, definitely, just be sure to gas up before you get too far up the 395, say in Adelanto or at the very farthest, Kramer Junction.

The only time we ever went up the 5 on Thanksgiving weekend was specifically to visit family that lived right in the Bay Area & it was always bumper-to-bumper nearly all the way, even through the Central Valley. Really bad.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-22-2015 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Yes, definitely, just be sure to gas up before you get too far up the 395, say in Adelanto or at the very farthest, Kramer Junction.

The only time we ever went up the 5 on Thanksgiving weekend was specifically to visit family that lived right in the Bay Area & it was always bumper-to-bumper nearly all the way, even through the Central Valley. Really bad.
You think there would be issues with traffic on the 5 at night too? (leaving 10pm or later)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California