Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would cause you to leave California?
If it became unaffordable for me... 59 48.36%
If politics got too liberal/conservative/moderate... 17 13.93%
If it gets too crowded... 26 21.31%
If I had to move for work.... 26 21.31%
Nothing. I can't leave California, family/sunshine/hollywood/natural beauty/etc keeps me here and I can't find it anywhere else. 40 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Upon reflection this morning, I'm going to apologize, Curmudgeon. But I truly didn't mean anything by using 'cur' -- I was just using a short cut of your name. Only us old ones, I think, know that 'cur' is a not nice name for a mongrel dog. [I would never intentionally call anyone on C-D a bad name. I don't need to call someone a bad name to insult him/her. ] Again, seriously, I do apologize. I do see, in light of my whole post, how you might think I was calling you an insulting name. Not my intention at all.
Intent is what matters most. Thank you and apology gratefully and whole-heartedly accepted and the matter swept into the dustbin (how's that for an archaic term?). Unfortunately it's all too easy for things to become heated on chat boards and we all fall into that trap from time-to-time, myself included.

Onward and upward (another term from the past), Fran. No harm done but for me showing my somewhat (?) advanced years. Here's to better times, more understanding and fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:19 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Intent is what matters most. Thank you and apology gratefully and whole-heartedly accepted and the matter swept into the dustbin (how's that for an archaic term?). Unfortunately it's all too easy for things to become heated on chat boards and we all fall into that trap from time-to-time, myself included.

Onward and upward (another term from the past), Fran. No harm done but for me showing my somewhat (?) advanced years. Here's to better times, more understanding and fun!
Oh no, no, NO -- you're not going to outdo me in graciousness! LOLOLOLOLOL

Seriously, thank you -- and on to better times, more understanding and MUCH fun!

Old 07-13-2014, 01:55 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,324 times
I'm leaving California not because I hate it, which I don't and I never will. But I want to try something very different, I'm happy in California and I will be happy trying something different. Some people just like to live different places, try new places, but don't necessarily have to "hate" or be unhappy where they are.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I'm leaving California not because I hate it, which I don't and I never will. But I want to try something very different, I'm happy in California and I will be happy trying something different. Some people just like to live different places, try new places, but don't necessarily have to "hate" or be unhappy where they are.
Of course you're right. We're just talking, at the moment, about people who are not happy and who think that moving to another place will make them happy.

BTW, if I lived in Lemon Heights -- I could find a way to be EXTREMELY happy in OC, which I [really do] dislike intensely!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Oh no, no, NO -- you're not going to outdo me in graciousness! LOLOLOLOLOL

Seriously, thank you -- and on to better times, more understanding and MUCH fun!
Pax! Is this our cue to kiss and make up?

Old 07-13-2014, 02:36 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,708,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I actually think it's healthy to do this and a great learning opportunity to experience life in another state. If we hadn't have move to CO as a family we probably wouldn't have realized how good we really have it now in CA. In addition it's great to see another way of life as well different sub cultures. Even from a business standpoint I think it helps you to related to folks from different parts of the country more. I've found this to be true in my own career. It just so happens that my boss's boss is from CO and well as the head of our whole business unit. So we have more things in common to talk about.

Derek

Old 07-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Pax! Is this our cue to kiss and make up?
Not unless you're willing to travel to NM -- cuz I ain't comin' to Missouri! In case you've forgotten, Curmudgeon -- I lived there for 13 months. And, as much as I loved St. Louis -- I have NOOOO desire to go back. Not even for a visit. (Omg -- the humidity! Among other things.) I'm glad you like it there -- I'll like it in San Diego! (I will miss the 'space' -- the vast expanses -- and the 'nature' of NM -- so I do understand somewhat why you like where you live. If I don't hurry up and make a definite plan for my move back -- I can even see myself staying here for the rest of my life. I sometimes wonder if I can readjust to life along the Southern CA coast.)

Old 07-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Not unless you're willing to travel to NM -- cuz I ain't comin' to Missouri! In case you've forgotten, Curmudgeon -- I lived there for 13 months. And, as much as I loved St. Louis -- I have NOOOO desire to go back. Not even for a visit. (Omg -- the humidity! Among other things.) I'm glad you like it there -- I'll like it in San Diego! (I will miss the 'space' -- the vast expanses -- and the 'nature' of NM -- so I do understand somewhat why you like where you live. If I don't hurry up and make a definite plan for my move back -- I can even see myself staying here for the rest of my life. I sometimes wonder if I can readjust to life along the Southern CA coast.)
Well, I may be driving through on my way to visit children, grandchildren and great grandchildren (does this make me look old?) in California one day. Ya never know.

If you make the move I hope you can readjust. We thought about it (my wife a born and raised NorCal girl) when we visited my old stomping grounds on our honeymoon back in '96. She fell in love with it but for me it reaffirmed that old adage, "You can never go back." It's not the Newport Beach I grew up in.

Of course, the move to the Ozarks was a blast from the past for both of us and with some minor adjustments has been very easy; especially now, five ears later. Ideally, you'll find what you're looking for as well.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,573,456 times
Quote:
I don't think a lot of people understand that if they are not basically happy (or content may be a better word) where they are, they won't be happy any place else either. (It also took me quite some time to get that.)
I agree. I think there are places I would not necessarily like or that would not fit me - like SD - but living there alone would not cause me to be unhappy. If you understand yourself and what you need to be truly content in life, you can find it almost anywhere in some way, shape or form.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I may be driving through on my way to visit children, grandchildren and great grandchildren (does this make me look old?) in California one day. Ya never know.

If you make the move I hope you can readjust. We thought about it (my wife a born and raised NorCal girl) when we visited my old stomping grounds on our honeymoon back in '96. She fell in love with it but for me it reaffirmed that old adage, "You can never go back." It's not the Newport Beach I grew up in.

Of course, the move to the Ozarks was a blast from the past for both of us and with some minor adjustments has been very easy; especially now, five ears later. Ideally, you'll find what you're looking for as well.
All I really want is the ocean (all the culture is a big plus). I spent 26 (28?) years, 40 weekends (at least) out of 52, down at the beach at daybreak.

I already know other things have changed. For instance, The Balboa Park of 55-60 years is gone (altho' I don't dislike how it has evolved over the years). Certainly Little Italy is not the same. But the performing arts centers and theatres (like LA's Pantages) haven't changed in the 8 years I've been gone. And the beach and the ocean? I think it's pretty much the same. Dirty sand. Polluted water. Wall-to-wall -- or blanket-to-blanket -- people -- by 10 a.m. on a summer Saturday morning. LOLOLOLOL What do I care, right? I'm retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California