Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 05:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
75 degree lows are abnormal in the sense they don't happen every year despite low temps being around 70 regularly throughout the summer. Yes warm humid spells happen every year but not 70+ degree dewpoint, 2014 has been above normal all summer in SD.

Based on normal summer weather El Cajon is not much different than Sacramento, not sure why you would look at just this summer when it's been warmer than normal in SD and normal to slightly below in Sacramento.
75 f lows happen mostly every year. the Aug/Sep heatwaves we get here yeaarly bring 70 F dewpoints to coast and if they are strong like this year's they bring 70s dp inland.

the whole west has had an above Average summer i dont know why SAC hasnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 05:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
75 f lows happen mostly every year. the Aug/Sep heatwaves we get here yeaarly bring 70 F dewpoints to coast and if they are strong like this year's they bring 70s dp inland.

the whole west has had an above Average summer i dont know why SAC hasnt.
No it doesn't actually, at least not in SD which is more humid that LA. Feel free to look at the past couple of years. It gets into the upper 60's and as high as 69 but hasn't hit or exceeded 70 until this year for the past few years. Same thing with 75 degree lows, they don't happen every year.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Default IMHO California's climate is overrated

I disagree. Barring the drought, there are many, especially in the beach communities of southern California, who think it's just great and for them it is. My point is that likes and dislikes differ and no one climate pleases everyone whether on the left coast or east, the Midwest or Southwest, north, south or in between.

I probably spent 50 of my 68 years in California - southern (where I was born and mostly raised and worked for years, central (not my favorite) and my last 20 northern (Sacramento). Despite the many variances in weather patterns, I finally found the weather to be somewhat redundant although one could easily drive and hour or two and find a completely different weather pattern; one of the marvels of the state.

In the end we moved to a place where we could experience four distinct seasons right here at home. That's what we wanted. It doesn't make it any better or worse than CA, just different. Arguments to the contrary are pointless. We all have different likes and dislikes. One of the beauties of being an American is that we have the freedom to choose, to move and to settle where we wish. If you love the CA weather, by all means stay. If you don't, move. It's just that simple.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 PM

56 posts, read 110,689 times
I agree. I am a Socal native and I get bored of the tedious sunny weather. I long for rain and snow and the leaves to change color. And the heat is unbearable unless you hug the coast. I can take 20 degree weather but not 100.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:01 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
I've lived in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada (2,500 feet elevation), the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valleys, Salinas and the Monterey Peninsula. I've also lived in Des Moines, Iowa and have family in Kentucky and Oklahoma. Just about anywhere in California is better climate-wise than almost anywhere in the Eastern two-thirds of the country. Brutal winters, severe weather springs and stiflingly humid summers in those places make even Fresno's climate look fantastic.

Basically, the O.P. needs to spend a couple years in a place like Boston. It would make Concord look like a holiday resort.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Can't stand all this boring sunshine. Must...have...tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms, black ice, desert oven heat, stifling humidity, bugs, lightning strikes, golf ball hail, acid rain, dust storms, perpetual overcast...and bugs. Gotta love them gnats and skeeters!
But we're making things kind of exciting out here with all our thrilling fires, so it's not all, um, "redundant!"

Old 09-27-2014, 09:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it doesn't actually, at least not in SD which is more humid that LA. Feel free to look at the past couple of years. It gets into the upper 60's and as high as 69 but hasn't hit or exceeded 70 until this year for the past few years. Same thing with 75 degree lows, they don't happen every year.
man, please, you are completely wrong this time, 70 F lows are very common. they happen every year. And on the coast they are even more common.

yes we have been getting 70 F+ lows more and more, but ever since 1983 when we got here (to costa mesa, then i moved years later) 70 F has been common.

Weather History for Santa Ana, CA | Weather Underground

my parents home hasnt had a day below 68 F since June 25th with the exception of 6 nights, and countless 70F + night, and more to come in October

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

humidity wise i dont know where you can actually determine which beach is the most humid, but all i can say south bay beaches (torrance area) have seen multiple days with 70 F dewpoints year after year, but i guess this has to do with the higher temps.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
man, please, you are completely wrong this time, 70 F lows are very common. they happen every year. And on the coast they are even more common.

yes we have been getting 70 F+ lows more and more, but ever since 1983 when we got here (to costa mesa, then i moved years later) 70 F has been common.

my parents home hasnt had a day below 68 F since June 25th with the exception of 6 nights, and countless 70F + night, and more to come in October

humidity wise i dont know where you can actually determine which beach is the most humid, but all i can say south bay beaches (torrance area) have seen multiple days with 70 F dewpoints year after year, but i guess this has to do with the higher temps.
I never said they weren't and in a previous post I already stated 70F lows are common, I was walking about 70 degree DEWPOINTS, not low temperature. You need to go back and reread what I wrote.

I just looked at the past 3 years of data Weather Underground and Santa Monica hasn't hit a 70 degree dewpoint once between the months of Jun and Sept, not even this year. Just checked a weather station on the water in Redondo Beach too and it got up to 69 degree dewpoint this summer, but not 70.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Can't stand all this boring sunshine. Must...have...tornadoes, hurricanes, ice storms, black ice, desert oven heat, stifling humidity, bugs, lightning strikes, golf ball hail, acid rain, dust storms, perpetual overcast...and bugs. Gotta love them gnats and skeeters!
But we're making things kind of exciting out here with all our thrilling fires, so it's not all, um, "redundant!"
What a perfect posting! You just stated all of the things I love so much about living in the Heartland (we don't get the dust storms or acid rain though). I was born/raised in SoCal (on the coast) and now live in an extreme weather area; Why would I ever want to leave and return to:

1) Mild weather and low utility bills. . . it's so much more fun to have frigid temps Dec - Mar; blazing heat/humidity Jun - Aug; and have so much fun paying the high heating and cooling bills.

2) Being able to go out and drive just about any time of the year . . . Why, back this way we have a blast shoveling snow and scraping ice off our windshields. And sliding around on the icy roads??? I'd be insane to want to leave all that fun!! Better than an E Ride!

3) Wearing a light jacket during winter. . . It's more fun to wear thermals, sweats, down coats, gloves, knit scarves and hats. . .and then unlayering when you get inside the store (forget about having any room left in the grocery cart for food).

Sorry that I just listed a few of the wonderful things about living in an extreme weather area (left out all of the tornado stuff). . . Why, we get near perfect weather days; in fact, just last year we had at least 5 of them! I'd be an idiot to want to move back to the SoCal coastal area. (BTW, my therapist is helping a lot!)

Old 09-28-2014, 10:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
What a perfect posting! You just stated all of the things I love so much about living in the Heartland (we don't get the dust storms or acid rain though). I was born/raised in SoCal (on the coast) and now live in an extreme weather area; Why would I ever want to leave and return to:

1) Mild weather and low utility bills. . . it's so much more fun to have frigid temps Dec - Mar; blazing heat/humidity Jun - Aug; and have so much fun paying the high heating and cooling bills.

2) Being able to go out and drive just about any time of the year . . . Why, back this way we have a blast shoveling snow and scraping ice off our windshields. And sliding around on the icy roads??? I'd be insane to want to leave all that fun!! Better than an E Ride!

3) Wearing a light jacket during winter. . . It's more fun to wear thermals, sweats, down coats, gloves, knit scarves and hats. . .and then unlayering when you get inside the store (forget about having any room left in the grocery cart for food).

Sorry that I just listed a few of the wonderful things about living in an extreme weather area (left out all of the tornado stuff). . . Why, we get near perfect weather days; in fact, just last year we had at least 5 of them! I'd be an idiot to want to move back to the SoCal coastal area. (BTW, my therapist is helping a lot!)

Ahhh but you forgot to mention how beautiful and fragrant spring is with all the flowering trees,shrubs and bulbs like crocus, tulips,daffodils,hyacinths, and our magnificent fall scenes and how wonderfully refreshing and invigorating the cooler temps of fall are after a hot summer. Plus how beautiful softly falling snow is.
Attached Thumbnails
IMHO California's climate is overrated-beautiful-autumn.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California