Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 08:10 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
Im making the point that SD can be quite hot in the summer time, sure it regularly gets over 100 in sacramento, but it cools off at nite more often than not due to the delta breeze. SD stays warm during the nite during the summer time due to the warmer water temps, and the monsoon moisture that comes in the later summer months. But if your speaking in terms of averages, than SD's average temperature doesnt change much throughout the year.
We stayed in the mid 70's all night during that heat wave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 08:31 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I lived out my first eight years in California and I tell you, I do not miss the hot and rainless, relentlessly sunny six month long summers in the East Bay. The truth is that the idealized Californian climate only exists right along the strands of Southern California. You go even ten miles inland and you encounter a climate that is overwhelmingly arid and hot for half the year, sometimes all year.
Apparently, you define 'overrated' as something others like that you don't. A tad self-absorbed, no?

I wouldn't care to live in Florida, largely because of the climate - but I don't confuse the preferences of others (a whole lot of people disagree with me about Florida) with them 'overrating' the climate. They simply have different preferences. Actually, I wouldn't live in the Bay Area, either (though I would long before Florida).

It's not all about me. And it's not all about you, either.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,374,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
you define 'overrated' as something others like that you don't. A tad self-absorbed, no? ...It's not all about me. And it's not all about you, either.
If you're so selfless, what are you doing on an anonymous forum scolding others for being self-ish? Trying to prove something to yourself?

Back on topic. If people really need a mediterranean-type climate to ensure their happiness, or whatever, there are only a few places on the earth where that is available. Seberal areas around the mediterranean sea have it. A portion of the western coast of south america (northern chile) has it, and about a 500-mile stretch of the CA coast and its nearby interior does as well. ONE of those places lies within the 48 US and experienced an extraordinary time of growth due to tech jobs and other industries booming in the 80's, 90's and 00's. So what we have now is basically 300+ million people (not including many more millions of wealthy 'immigrants from outside the US) clamoring for a few thousand square miles of real estate. So, even though it's not MY preference, you really can't say it's 'over-rated' in a technical sense.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:54 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,475,620 times
Southern California climate is known to be the best in the world especially San Diego and Orange County.. y'all are stupid.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Southern California climate is known to be the best in the world especially San Diego and Orange County.. y'all are stupid.
Well, there you have it, who can argue with such logic?

Actually Redwood City (in NORTHERN CA) has an official city slogan which has claimed 'Climate Best by Government Test' since the 1920's or so. So obviously it's up for debate. But I admit that most people agree that the mediterranean-type climate is the 'best' in the world. I personally prefer seasons and rarely share the same ideals as the masses anyway.

The point of this thread is that CA's climate it over-rated and my point is that to someone who really values its med. climate, it's not. It's obviously a matter of preference.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,487,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I lived out my first eight years in California and I tell you, I do not miss the hot and rainless, relentlessly sunny six month long summers in the East Bay. The truth is that the idealized Californian climate only exists right along the strands of Southern California. You go even ten miles inland and you encounter a climate that is overwhelmingly arid and hot for half the year, sometimes all year.
No, it's not overrated.

No, it's not overwhelmingly arid and hot for half the year, and certainly not all year.

Arid? Semiarid, though we've had a dry spell for the past several but evens it out with the wet spells.

East Bay is similar or more mild compared to what is here in the Southland. (LA/Orange County)

Sorry the summers did not work out for you, but that is just the reality of our Mediterranean climate here.
West-coast weird as opposed to changeable continental for much of the rest of the country.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
here in the Southland. (LA/Orange County)
Few of your fellow LA/OC-ites will even notice, much less call it out, but 'southland' is one of the most arrogantly annoying regional terms currently in use in the US. Mainly because it implies total indifference (or perhaps ignorance) toward the 3+ million people to your immediate south and another… what… half a billion? directly south of that.

It's like a comedian once said, "Everyone outside of LA hates LA. But people in LA don't hate their outside neighbors because they actually have no idea they even exist."

Old 09-26-2014, 11:52 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Few of your fellow LA/OC-ites will even notice, much less call it out, but 'southland' is one of the most arrogantly annoying regional terms currently in use in the US. Mainly because it implies total indifference (or perhaps ignorance) toward the 3+ million people to your immediate south and another… what… half a billion? directly south of that.

It's like a comedian once said, "Everyone outside of LA hates LA. But people in LA don't hate their outside neighbors because they actually have no idea they even exist."
So is the term the Bay Area total indifference to all the other metropolitan areas situated on a bay? Get a grip, I can't believe anyone would be so sensitive over such a generic regional term like that. Never heard anyone in San Diego complain about the term "Southland", doubt anyone in Central or South American care either.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So is the term the Bay Area total indifference to all the other metropolitan areas situated on a bay? Get a grip, I can't believe anyone would be so sensitive over such a generic regional term like that.
Possibly. That's whe we say/write "SF Bay Area" unless we're actually IN that area where there is no other large Bay around to confuse it with. (Monterey people may understandably feel differently though) Certainly if I'm in Tampa, FA I don't say, 'back in the Bay Area!' all CA/USA loudly.

You can get irked and argue or you can just agree to disagree and still appreciate the slight broadening of perspective. Up to you.

I'm not personally offended by the term after having lived there for years and learning to just not hear it anymore (kind of like 'Cali'). But I admit that I still occasionally feel mildly annoyed by the complete ignorance of why it could be irritating to some… For the same reason the rest of the Northern and Southern Americas sometimes chafe when we, from the USA, refer to ourselves as "America the Great" or whatever…
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Never heard anyone in San Diego complain about the term "Southland", doubt anyone in Central or South American care either.
When was the last time you actually spoke to someone in any of those places about it? (or anything else?)

Old 09-26-2014, 12:25 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,535,982 times
Lol at what this thread turned into. You guys and your nonsensical arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California