Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:37 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
California lacks insects? That's news to me. Growing up in the Bay Area I remember swarms of ants everywhere, as well as lots of cockroaches and wasps.
San Francisco has very few insects.

Almost none, as a matter of fact. I leave my windows open 24/7/365 without screens in the City. I have had 4-5 mosquitoes and 3-4 moths fly in in over three years.

Closer to the Delta and in areas not influenced as much by the breeze through the Golden Gate, I'm sure there are more bugs. In SF, though, there are practically none.

We picnic at Land's End, or Fort Mason a lot--no ants. I have never seen a cockroach or a wasp here. I do see some fruit flies (or some kind of small swarm of gnats) every now and then--about once every few months I'll run into one of those...

I suspect when you say "Bay Area" you mean somewhere over the hill, like Walnut Creek?

Last edited by dalparadise; 10-11-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,139,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Was wondering about that since Californians post so often like it's gospel truth that California is bug-free,no-bugs,and I forget how many variations of this claim,so it's a "lie",huh?
No, it isn't.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco has very few insects.

Almost none, as a matter of fact. I leave my windows open 24/7/365 without screens in the City. I have had 4-5 mosquitoes and 3-4 moths fly in in over three years.

Closer to the Delta and in areas not influenced as much by the breeze through the Golden Gate, I'm sure there are more bugs. In SF, though, there are practically none.

We picnic at Land's End, or Fort Mason a lot--no ants. I have never seen a cockroach or a wasp here. I do see some fruit flies (or some kind of small swarm of gnats) every now and then--about once every few months I'll run into one of those...

I suspect when you say "Bay Area" you mean somewhere over the hill, like Walnut Creek?
Fruit flies are a phenomenon unto themselves. I have often marveled at how they appear even when fruit has been sequestered under cover - with no flies present immediately after slicing. Come back later in the day for another slice, lift the cover and what do you find? A swarm of fruit flies. I think they are a perfect manifestation of the Taoist precept of "being arising out of nothingness". A very metaphysical insect. Nothing to trifle at in wonder.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:57 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
That sounds lovely to me. Sweater-weather is awesome. And sun exposure prematurely ages the skin -- so why bother tanning?
I feel the same... 'sweater weather-is better weather'!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,971,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Close - Concord. Tons of bugs there. A disgusting amount actually. This was nearly 20 years ago though and I've heard bug populations everywhere have declined dramatically since then.

San Francisco's climate is extremely atypical of California as a whole. That zone is a very narrow ribbon that extends no more than 10 or 15 miles (at the most) from the coast. Somewhere like Walnut Creek is far more typical of most places in California in terms of the climate.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Close - Concord. Tons of bugs there. A disgusting amount actually. This was nearly 20 years ago though and I've heard bug populations everywhere have declined dramatically since then..
Wish all the human population growth had gone as well.

Quote:
San Francisco's climate is extremely atypical of California as a whole. That zone is a very narrow ribbon that extends no more than 10 or 15 miles (at the most) from the coast. Somewhere like Walnut Creek is far more typical of most places in California in terms of the climate.
The relatively sparse insect numbers exist all the length of the state. Coast and inland both. With only pockets of exceptions such as the delta.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM

29 posts, read 35,585 times
Spoiled Californians! I will be happy if I never see snow or a week of rain again!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Wish all the human population growth had gone as well.
[/b]
The relatively sparse insect numbers exist all the length of the state. Coast and inland both. With only pockets of exceptions such as the delta.
Do you think Concord might have more insects due to its proximity to the delta marshes?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelF1973 View Post
Spoiled Californians! I will be happy if I never see snow or a week of rain again!
Personally I like not having to purchase bottled water.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Do you think Concord might have more insects due to its proximity to the delta marshes?
Could be. I never hang in Concord, but do in nearby Delta. Bugs are noticeable out in the tules - and that certainly includes bordering towns like Oakley for instance. Big Break is Buggy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California