Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 11:38 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Ultrarunner,

I was watching a Youtube video one day -- it was an instructional video of some sort -- and the girl doing the video was originally from Florida. She talked a lot about the lack of motivation her family and friends in Florida shared. While she was in the process of doing this, that and the other, and her friends out here were all into many different things, the people she knew in Florida wouldn't do anything. They wouldn't even attempt to do anything different. It really bugged her. She said she could never move back, for that reason alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 04:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I am smiling as I read these responses, knowing most of you have never been to Texas or just drivern though. someolne talks about watching a UTube video, I can't believe anyone with a brain takes Utube seriously. Anyone of us, who knows anything about tech could make one. I was born and raised in CA, lived there for almost 40 years, except for a couple of college years and a few other times, I lived 13 years in No. Texas as well as have lived serveral places throughout America, No. Texas offers a lot.

For those who say they do not want to move and are union workers, could the fact it happens to be a Right to Work" state have anything to do with this? If those affected are all management, that is a different story: regardless, I bet, knowing work force in Texas Toyota will have no problems filling the spots left by people who decide to stay in CA. th, but c

How many companies have relocated to Texas and still been very successful, and yes, from California?

The only bad thing about Texas happens to be the awful weather. It sucks, especially the summers. Otherwise: good schools, certainly better than some in So. CA., good shopping, cheaper housing, lots of Californians, yes, good roads, not like someone here mentioned. I will add, the traffic can be a nightmare, but no worse of as bad as So. CA.

So, for all those who think Texas sucks, don't be so judgemental. If you are asked to relocate and choose not to. that is your desision, but for those of you who not affected by companies moving to Texas what is your point? I don't get it. BTW, both my daughters were faced with the decision to stay in CA or relocate to Texas, many years ago. They choose the relocation route, neither have returned to CA except for vacations and to see the few family members that are still there.

Last edited by nmnita; 11-30-2014 at 04:55 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
More dubious anecdotes still doesn't make it true. I lived in north Texas driving a car with CA plates (borrowed from my MIL, until we could get my van to Texas) for almost a year. I drove all over the state, both freeways and back roads, and I wasn't stopped ONCE. And on many occasions, there was a police car RIGHT BEHIND ME.
and I don't know of a single person, with CA plates that has ever been stopped. People have very vivid imaginations. Our kids and many friends have never had a problem, son and I didn't when we drove from CA to VA, via 2 days crossing through Texas.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So, for all those who think Texas sucks, don't be so judgemental. If you are asked to relocate and choose not to. that is your desision, but for those of you who not affected by companies moving to Texas what is your point? I don't get it. BTW, both my daughters were faced with the decision to stay in CA or relocate to Texas, many years ago. They choose the relocation route, neither have returned to CA except for vacations and to see the few family members that are still there.
Texas works out for some people, in particular people that like the indoors, spending time in their McMansion, and eating greasy food at chain restaurants.

The negative aspects of Texas extend far beyond the weather but they are going to differ from person to person. For example, if you're a carpet dweller the magnificent natural resources in California vs Texas aren't going to matter much. There are also major cultural differences in the two states, if you're a anti-gay, gun loving, etc sort Texas will be a natural fit!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:19 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I don't know of a single person, with CA plates that has ever been stopped. People have very vivid imaginations. Our kids and many friends have never had a problem, son and I didn't when we drove from CA to VA, via 2 days crossing through Texas.
Your not knowing anyone who has been stopped based on plates means nothing of course. It's called profiling. And even where profiling by race is illegal or against policy, it still happens subliminally if not outright in spite of policy. Similarly, profiling by license plates has always occurred. Cops have very vivid imaginations too.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:21 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Your not knowing anyone who has been stopped based on plates means nothing of course. It's called profiling. And even where profiling by race is illegal or against policy, it still happens subliminally if not outright in spite of policy. Similarly, profiling by license plates has always occurred. Cops have very vivid imaginations too.
They had no qualms about telling us about their profiling. Quite proud, apparently, that they can get away with existing beyond the laws and customs most of the rest of the nation has to abide by. Not much for that whole "reasonable" suspicion thing.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Texas works out for some people, in particular people that like the indoors, spending time in their McMansion, and eating greasy food at chain restaurants.

The negative aspects of Texas extend far beyond the weather but they are going to differ from person to person. For example, if you're a carpet dweller the magnificent natural resources in California vs Texas aren't going to matter much. There are also major cultural differences in the two states, if you're a anti-gay, gun loving, etc sort Texas will be a natural fit!
God what you do not know about Texas, especailly the Dallas area. American is headquartered there, as are many other companies dealing in travel; most people know the travel industry has a large number of gays; I know this from 1-working for a major corporation in Dallas and having several gay bosses, plus after I retired I started my own business, in the travel industry and most of my clients (in the beginning anyway) were gay, all living in the Dallas area.

All the people I know who have moved to the area are anything but carpet dwellers and many are from California. The only part of your view might be the McMasion part and the gun loving. This rest is simply a figment of some people's imagination.

Of course Texas isn't California and there are those who will relocate for financual reasons and regret it afterwards. Ca. has a lot to offer, but you have a very shaded idea of the Dallas area.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I am not going to say it never happens, I am just saying some imagine things that are just that: there imagination. When we first moved to Dallas area we had a Redskins bumper sticker on our car. One day we got pulled over for speeding. yes, hubby was, but so were both cars on either side of us. They did not get pulled over. We have laughed about that for all these years; telling people we were pulled over for not being Cowboys fans. Is it why we were stopped and the other 2 were not, Heck we don't know.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:44 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I would love to see some stats as fact, in will you claim. Btw I live in central Texas and know alot of gay people and never had a problem. Btw have you traveled around Texas?

Old 12-02-2014, 05:12 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
I'm not sure if the California vs. Texas is all about superiority, but like it or not both states are similar and have alot in common. I can't think of any other state that has the diversity of California, than Texas. After all Texas ranges from swamp land, to high mountains out west. As well as a large ethnically diverse population. Cities are sort of similar as well. Sacramento/ Austin, (State Capitals) San Diego/ San Antonio, (Tourism) Los Angeles/ Houston, (Massive, similar layout, diverse populations) Bay Area/DFW (Muiti Cities, Great Attractions). Now I'm not saying there exactly the same because it's not, far from it actually. But you can see they have similarities and I know people are going to trash talk but this is how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California