Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Yes... this is how they do it...

I can choose to pay or not pay... to buy or do without.

Totally different when property tax threatens ownership...

I've had this discussion with my Austrian friend that is a CPA there...

He looked at my tax return and the $600 I pay to make sure it is correct... the taxes I pay and the Property Tax I pay and shook his head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 04:59 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes... this is how they do it...

I can choose to pay or not pay... to buy or do without.

Totally different when property tax threatens ownership...

I've had this discussion with my Austrian friend that is a CPA there...

He looked at my tax return and the $600 I pay to make sure it is correct... the taxes I pay and the Property Tax I pay and shook his head.
is that here in CA or in Austria?

Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 PM

My CPA friend from Austria was here in California for a visit last Christmas...

It was just interesting to compare similarities and differences...

Another thing he commented about was Sales Tax is added added to the price at the time of sale where in his country... all prices are inclusive of tax.

All the taxes I pay are in the U.S.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'm not sure if TN is a good model for taxation to follow. It's pretty regressive as it has high sales taxes (which falls harder on the low income people) and other user fees.

Tennessee Has the Most Regressive Tax System in America - The Atlantic
Tell that to vets.

Then there is property tax. On the property I own in TN, I pay 1.6% on 1/4 the value as does everyone else. Much better than CA, where I pay 1.6% on the full value and saves thousands of dollars a year. The savings in having no income tax and really low property tax in TN, more than offsets the sales tax difference between TN and CA and in some CA Counties we are talking a fraction of a percent difference in sales tax.

Then on my CA business I pay a tax every year on property within the building, computers, desks, chairs, paper,ink and that is every year. I of course paid sales tax on that when I bought it. In TN while they have a similar County tax the amount is way less. CA overcharges for just about everything, as an example any car in the County in TN where I have property is $24.00 a year for tags. What is it in CA? That really hits the poor worse in CA than in TN. Proposition 13 is one of the few intelligent tax efforts the State has made ... oops the State didn't do it, the people did.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
My CPA friend from Austria was here in California for a visit last Christmas...

It was just interesting to compare similarities and differences...

Another thing he commented about was Sales Tax is added added to the price at the time of sale where in his country... all prices are inclusive of tax.

All the taxes I pay are in the U.S.
Hiding taxes in the price of goods only benefits the government as the sheep, I mean people, have no idea how much is being taken. We have some of that already, every regulation and tax on business adds on the the bottom line of a product.

If tax was paid yearly instead of being taken every two weeks working Americans would riot.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Taxing Real Property under Prop 13 is very reliable...

My take on European taxation is different... Austria and Swiss seem to be doing just fine with low Property Tax... some would argue the safety net is much larger than America...

I would like to discourage consumption to rein in trade deficits...

Right now I could live in either California or the Bay Area... experiencing first hand an 80% property tax increase in Washington took moving to Washington off the table... I will not put myself in the position to be a slave to Property Tax increases at the whims of politicians...
The political culture of Austria and Switzerland is radically different from California's. Both have few poor people and have little political corruption. Their politicians tend to behave in fiscally responsible ways - the Austrian School of economics still may have some influence on policy. They both have great educational systems. They could not be more different from California. If we had Euro type policies, we wouldn't be like Austria. We'd be like Italy or Greece (and not just in weather and landscape).

Like it or not most of our economy is based on consumption. Right now, that's a good thing, considering how depressed the raw materials market is.

The price of not being a slave to property tax increases is being a slave to income and sales tax increases.

If I did not already live in California, and could choose to move to a west coast state, I would pick Washington over California easily. WA politicians as a whole are not as corrupt as CA politicians even if there are a few that are just as crazy.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Hiding taxes in the price of goods only benefits the government as the sheep, I mean people, have no idea how much is being taken. We have some of that already, every regulation and tax on business adds on the the bottom line of a product.

If tax was paid yearly instead of being taken every two weeks working Americans would riot.
Could be... when you see a price in Europe that is the price... it really drives the Europeans crazy when here because almost nothing can be bought for the advertised price... ever shop airline tickets and find the add on fees can be half again as much as the ticket... or a phone/utility tariff shows a price and then add another 20 or more percent to calculate what is owed...

Maybe we need a truth in advertising that requires the advertised price is actually the price to purchase?

It would be kind of like when I buy a car... I really could care less how many fees, add ons, etc the Dealer lists... the ONLY thing I care about is how much I write the check for...

If you ask someone over there how much they earn everyone will tell you the NET amount because this is what they have to spend... in American, everyone goes by the GROSS amount which really doesn't mean much because it is not what you earn, it is how much you keep...

I can see the American system as being misleading... just look on the face of any American when they get that first paycheck... shock, horror, disbelief... I see it with every new hire first job... they are counting on $10 an hour and withholding and fees takes a huge chunk and you may find a year from now you owe even more...

If tax was paid yearly... most would simply default... Americans are not know as being savers...

Old 11-17-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The political culture of Austria and Switzerland is radically different from California's. Both have few poor people and have little political corruption. Their politicians tend to behave in fiscally responsible ways - the Austrian School of economics still may have some influence on policy. They both have great educational systems. They could not be more different from California. If we had Euro type policies, we wouldn't be like Austria. We'd be like Italy or Greece (and not just in weather and landscape).

Like it or not most of our economy is based on consumption. Right now, that's a good thing, considering how depressed the raw materials market is.

The price of not being a slave to property tax increases is being a slave to income and sales tax increases.

If I did not already live in California, and could choose to move to a west coast state, I would pick Washington over California easily. WA politicians as a whole are not as corrupt as CA politicians even if there are a few that are just as crazy.
I don't really see a lot of difference between the West Coast States of California, Oregon and Washington... it seems the governors all sign on for pretty much the same policies... of course no sales tax in Oregon and no personal income tax in Washington...

Old 11-17-2015, 11:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Tell that to vets.

Then there is property tax. On the property I own in TN, I pay 1.6% on 1/4 the value as does everyone else. Much better than CA, where I pay 1.6% on the full value and saves thousands of dollars a year. The savings in having no income tax and really low property tax in TN, more than offsets the sales tax difference between TN and CA and in some CA Counties we are talking a fraction of a percent difference in sales tax.

Then on my CA business I pay a tax every year on property within the building, computers, desks, chairs, paper,ink and that is every year. I of course paid sales tax on that when I bought it. In TN while they have a similar County tax the amount is way less. CA overcharges for just about everything, as an example any car in the County in TN where I have property is $24.00 a year for tags. What is it in CA? That really hits the poor worse in CA than in TN. Proposition 13 is one of the few intelligent tax efforts the State has made ... oops the State didn't do it, the people did.
Well, since you own property, you benefit in TN.

None of that offsets the fact that TN's tax system is among the most regressive in the nation.

In TN, the poorest pay a bigger share of their income in sales and local taxes than the wealthier.

Tennessee | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)

Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, since you own property, you benefit in TN.

None of that offsets the fact that TN's tax system is among the most regressive in the nation.

In TN, the poorest pay a bigger share of their income in sales and local taxes than the wealthier.

Tennessee | The Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP)
And no one is complaining about it. Visit the TN City Data Page.

Then we have CA.

http://www.itep.org/whopays/states/california.php

The lowest pay 10.9% in TN and 10.5% in CA. Not much difference and as you make more, you keep more, in TN.

I had an employee who could move to our CA facility or the TN facility. He was born in CA and chose ........... TN as a better place for his family.

In the end the poor pay in both States, it is just in TN you need less overall than in CA, so have a better life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California