Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:51 AM

45 posts, read 50,431 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are thinking of moving to Chico and we realize that the summers are Hot! Nobody seems to mention about the winters though. We currently live in the Bay area with long overcast winters and a lack of sunshine and it effects both of our moods. How would you describe the winters in Chico? We are debating whether to move to Colorado or Chico.

Thanks for your help on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,015 times
I'm curious about this too. To modify, add to the question somewhat - how much Tule fog is there in Chico? For the OP, summers and springs are cloudier in most of Colorado than in inland California. Winters, however, are sunnier along the Front Range than in northern California.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:30 PM

45 posts, read 50,431 times
Thanks for the info. Are you currently in Colorado?

Old 07-01-2015, 03:39 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catagonia View Post
Thanks for the info. Are you currently in Colorado?
Yes and as is usual for summer in Fort Collins, the beautiful, sunny morning, has now completely clouded up.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:09 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,157 times
Chico averages roughly 20" of rain per year, the majority of which falls during winter. Generally a storm will move in, dump some rain, then move out and you'll get the sun back. Most storms are a day or two but big ones can last several days which can result in a long stretch of gloomy weather, but the sun always comes back and it's generally a very sunny climate.

Tule fog is fairly rare in my experience, so when it happened it was pretty cool

Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
I lived there and it never struck me as a gloomy place. Some great winter storms, but plenty of sun too. Give away your snow shovel.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:02 PM

194 posts, read 505,883 times
The winter fog usually gets stalled out around the Sutter Buttes to the south and only occasionally makes it to Chico. It stays sunny in Paradise though! Like what DCMann2 said, it's usually goes sun - sun - sun - clouds - rain - clouds

Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I'm assuming Chico would be like Redding. I spent last winter in Redding and it was absolutely gorgeous. Most of the year - 6 months of the year - is horribly hot in that area. But, the winter was glorious. There was minimal snow, but mostly it was sunny and perfect. I'd happily spend any winter in Redding. But, get me out of there by May, and don't make me move back until November at the earliest, because that entire time will be 100 degrees and above. And in that area, it does not cool down at night until about 3am, and then is too hot to be outside by 10am.

So, choose your poison. Here in Del Norte County, it's basically in the 60's year round, but not a whole lotta sunshine. The trade-off is worth it to me, but may not be for you.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:28 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm assuming Chico would be like Redding. I spent last winter in Redding and it was absolutely gorgeous. Most of the year - 6 months of the year - is horribly hot in that area. But, the winter was glorious. There was minimal snow, but mostly it was sunny and perfect. I'd happily spend any winter in Redding. But, get me out of there by May, and don't make me move back until November at the earliest, because that entire time will be 100 degrees and above. And in that area, it does not cool down at night until about 3am, and then is too hot to be outside by 10am.

So, choose your poison. Here in Del Norte County, it's basically in the 60's year round, but not a whole lotta sunshine. The trade-off is worth it to me, but may not be for you.
Since we've been in a drought for the last 4 years, I doubt the winter you spent is representative of a typical winter in Redding.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:30 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
Chico averages roughly 20" of rain per year, the majority of which falls during winter. Generally a storm will move in, dump some rain, then move out and you'll get the sun back. Most storms are a day or two but big ones can last several days which can result in a long stretch of gloomy weather, but the sun always comes back and it's generally a very sunny climate.

Tule fog is fairly rare in my experience, so when it happened it was pretty cool
Correction: Chico averages almost 26" of rain per year. That rainfall is spread over 63 days, which is about the same number of rainy days as San Francisco, although SF only gets about 20" of rain per year.

CHICO EXPERIMENT STN, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California