Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 AM

631 posts, read 749,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
It's a nice place to visit for a week or two in the summer. I'd never live there again.

Lived in BOS for 2 years. A miserable frozen wasteland at the end of the world. Had to drive to NYC for fun/flights to anywhere without making a zillion connections.

Go north and it's nothing but rocks and trees with swampy coast. Portland ME is basically a tiny tourist village. It snows (several feet at a go) 9 months out of the year and swelters for 2 of the remaining months. There's a really expensive "high speed" train that gets you to NYC or DC a little slower than the $15 Chinese-run buses.

People are nasty, boring, and poorly traveled. The higher education system is great, but it's mostly used by people who come in, get a degree, and leave. MA taxes are high and favor the very wealthy.

The roads are in terrible shape, and follow cow paths. Work is hard to come by. Houses are ancient, leaky, and built on "fieldstone"--which is apparently just random garbage mortared together.

The surf sucks, and the ocean is frigid most of the year.

Glad to be done with it.
Lol Boston.

In Maine it is 60 degrees right now, misty, and not humid. In the midst of summer, I'll count that an extreme win over 100 degree humid California.

Locals say "6 months out of the year" winter, but I call it 4 months.

The word "drought" and "hot" will never exist here, thus never will there be a high electric bill for AC.

As for jobs, already have two internship options to start out at $12/hr while going to UMO on top of gas priced at $2.48/gal, with plenty of work to be found since just about everyone is hiring and not for the tourist season jobs.

My house was built in 1988, has no leaks, and we get a 70mb/s time warner cable connection for half of what we paid on Comcast in Modesto, CA.

I have yet to see a part of the I-95 that has pot holes, except when you crossover into Massachusetts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 05:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
LOL, only people in BOS even know Maine exists. We pay our illegals better than $12/hour. I guess that's a lot of money in places like ME and Afghanistan, though.

So congrats on your big job offer!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:35 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I lived in New Jersey in the early 1990s for 3 years, and took most of my summer & fall vacations in New England. My ancestors arrived in Connecticut & Massachusetts in 1634, so I have 10+ generations of roots in New England.

Coastal New England is a great place to explore - almost endless things to see & do. Down east Maine, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard. New London. I could easily spend the summer in Belfast, ME on Penobscot Bay. I like the motto they have in Maine - "The way life should be".

Old 08-13-2015, 06:38 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
What do people from Cali thing about New England? just curious .
Had a brief visit recently (Manchester by the Sea/Salem area--not the entire region). It was lovely...very safe, very pretty, quaint, but seemed a tad insular and not particularly diverse, imo.

Food in general wasn't half as good as I could find on the West Coast/Bay Area though (with the exception of the raw oysters---excellent!) Nice place to visit--would love to definitely go back and explore more!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:04 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I like New England. It's a lot like California -- land diversity, people diversity, good food, good shopping, close to cultural things, etc.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:21 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,809 times
can get cold as **** up there

Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
What do people from Cali thing about New England? just curious .
Might want to find the Colombia forum for that.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM

149 posts, read 182,029 times
Black flies, ticks, gnats and mosquitos. North Maine Woods. "Live free or die"

Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum_ View Post
Black flies, ticks, gnats and mosquitos. North Maine Woods. "Live free or die"
"live free or die" is new hampshire.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
In Maine it is 60 degrees right now, misty, and not humid. In the midst of summer, I'll count that an extreme win over 100 degree humid California.

The word "drought" and "hot" will never exist here, thus never will there be a high electric bill for AC.
The hottest I have ever been was during a week in June in Lisbon Falls, Maine. It was so hot and so humid in a way that I have never experienced in California. We were there for a wedding, in which my husband was a groomsman. It was so hot and stifling in this tiny old stone church that I was really concerned that some of the guys in their tuxes would pass out. The people there certainly would not have high A/C bills because none of them had A/C, except for a few feeble window units. We couldn't even sleep at night.

A couple of days after the wedding we drove all the way north through Maine to Canada. The heat broke, but only because it rained steadily for 24 hours. I'm sure Maine is beautiful, but all I saw were glimpses of wet trees through the rain.

Now, I haven't been to Maine in the other three seasons, but our summers here are mild compared to what I experienced that time. Today was the first 100 degree day of the summer in my town and it was not humid at all. It's already mid-August, so I consider that a win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California