Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's very confusing when people say things like "go to Yosemite for the sequoias", or "the sequoias are thicker". They're all sequoias. I've never heard that type of usage, except for on this forum.

Oh well. :-/
who is in his right mind tells the scientific names of things? we are not in botany class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 03:19 PM

371 posts, read 337,915 times
If you want to see the best examples of the species-then yes Yosemite.

If you just want to mark Sequioadendron giganteum off your bucket list I suppose it isn't too big a deal. They are always spectacular.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:43 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,313,597 times
Actually go to Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Closer. Not so many waterfalls though.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
It's very confusing when people say things like "go to Yosemite for the sequoias", or "the sequoias are thicker". They're all sequoias. I've never heard that type of usage, except for on this forum.

Oh well. :-/
Even where there are two respectively named National Parks?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:54 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
who is in his right mind tells the scientific names of things? we are not in botany class
That wasn't the point at all. Most people refer to them as "coastal redwoods" vs. "sierra redwoods", if they want to differentiate. Otherwise, they're all referred to generically as "redwoods". Or out-of-state people sometimes refer to them all generically as "sequoias". It's a generic term, not one that's specific to one type or the other.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
And btw, fwiw, I had a great time at the Big Basin regional park last weekend. It claims to have two of the oldest coastal redwoods around. Unless the OP decides to go as far as Yosemite or the Bay Area, it's outside her range, though.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
That wasn't the point at all. Most people refer to them as "coastal redwoods" vs. "sierra redwoods", if they want to differentiate. Otherwise, they're all referred to generically as "redwoods". Or out-of-state people sometimes refer to them all generically as "sequoias". It's a generic term, not one that's specific to one type or the other.
A lot of people refer to "sierra redwoods" (Sequoiadendron giganteum) simply as "Sequoias". It's a quite common thing. I think the national park being called "Sequoia National Park" is partly responsible for popularizing that, although I don't know the history on that etymology. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever read/heard anyone say "Sierra Redwood" - although if I heard/read it, I would know they were referring to Sequoiadendron giganteum.

I've never heard anyone refer to coastal redwoods as "Sequoias", unless they were spelling out their scientific name (Sequoia sempervirens). People just generally call them "Redwoods".

Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
No one (well, no one who lives in and around the coastal redwoods) refers to the coastal redwoods as sequoias.
And that's the truth ... ruth.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:26 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
A lot of people refer to "sierra redwoods" (Sequoiadendron giganteum) simply as "Sequoias". It's a quite common thing. I think the national park being called "Sequoia National Park" is partly responsible for popularizing that, although I don't know the history on that etymology. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever read/heard anyone say "Sierra Redwood" - although if I heard/read it, I would know they were referring to Sequoiadendron giganteum.

I've never heard anyone refer to coastal redwoods as "Sequoias", unless they were spelling out their scientific name (Sequoia sempervirens). People just generally call them "Redwoods".
I agree. common people refer to the giants as Sequoias and the tallest as Redwoods

Old 11-07-2015, 11:52 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ah, but the Sequois are much thicker on average.
Not necessarily.

In 2014 and 2015, coast redwood took the title away from giant sequoia for the thickest (widest) trunk in the USA. So coast redwoods are the tallest and widest known trees in this country. No question Sequoiadendron are large though. But the drive is double or triple coming from the north.

RE the OP question, its impractical to see both species in the same area. Considering your parents are coming from the north, the most practical experience to conserve time and see grand trees, is Redwood National and State Parks of Del Norte and Humboldt counties. Avenue of the Giants or Humboldt Redwoods State Park would be an extra, but not essential. You can see trees over 350 feet tall. And rangers can point you to a few trees over 20 feet diameter if you want something big looking too.

I go the coast redwoods about every 6 weeks for fun and adventure.

Look to the lower right side of the trunk for scale.

Last edited by mdvaden; 11-08-2015 at 12:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California