Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times

Advertisements

Macy's are closing stores and laying off people. People don't eat out at restaurants anymore. From CNBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:57 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't get why they have to go to extremes in regards to raising the minimum wage. Just raise it to 12 bucks an hour, see what happens, and go from there. 15 dollars per hour is too big of a jump. It should be 12 dollars per our, nationwide and at the federal level. Adjusting for inflation and everything that is what it should be. It should go up every year based on the cost of healthcare, food, and otherlife necessities. So the amount that it goes up every year would be different.
It raised in steps to the $15 hr over a period of years

https://www.gov.ca.gov/docs/Fact_She...nimum_Wage.pdf

Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
It raised in steps to the $15 hr over a period of years

https://www.gov.ca.gov/docs/Fact_She...nimum_Wage.pdf
Ahh gotcha yeah that makes sense imo that's the best system. You guys are doing it right out there. it should be like that all over the US, just the numbers would be different for every state of course.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes true.
Personally I can't see why someone would open in CA right now, if they were considering a business like a restaraunt.
Because people in CA need to eat too? Unless you are predicting that people will stop frequenting restraunts I don't see why by a business owner couldn't make money.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Macy's are closing stores and laying off people. People don't eat out at restaurants anymore. From CNBC.
Really? Wow, I called a local restaurant yesterday to make a reservation, the big liars they told me they didn't have a table until 7:30 tonight.

I think I will call them back and tell them that you said people don't eat out at restaurants anymore!

Old 01-08-2017, 05:10 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle's $15 minimum wage has resulted in local businesses just increasing prices for customers, some minor layoffs, and potentially some chilling in hiring for the future. Most restaurants have eliminated tipping and now automatically charge customers a 20% "service charge" which basically covers any lost profits due to the minimum wage.

With the inflation that results from jacking up minimum wage, it really seems like it's a temporary solution which mostly hurts consumers or job-seekers who don't have jobs.
This is the ultimate outcome. Just spinning wheels basically. NOT, small business owners deciding to open a restaurant in Texas instead of California.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Because people in CA need to eat too? Unless you are predicting that people will stop frequenting restraunts I don't see why by a business owner couldn't make money.
Because the profit margins on restaurants are already very low. People won't totally stop, but a decline could be bad for the economy. Already seeing places in L.A have raised prices significantly even from last year. Prices are going to be very high when they have to pay $15 hr or they could just relocate to a place that isn't so anti business.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
I just heard on the radio that some min wage workers don't want it to raise to 15.00 because they get free child care from the state which will end if there income bracket rises. What a catch 22!!! So it seems 15.00 per hour hurts the owners and employees. Crazy California strikes again

Old 01-09-2017, 01:08 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle's $15 minimum wage has resulted in local businesses just increasing prices for customers, some minor layoffs, and potentially some chilling in hiring for the future. Most restaurants have eliminated tipping and now automatically charge customers a 20% "service charge" which basically covers any lost profits due to the minimum wage.

With the inflation that results from jacking up minimum wage, it really seems like it's a temporary solution which mostly hurts consumers or job-seekers who don't have jobs.
This.

Anything else is just hemming and hawing. Seattle's has already reported price increases across the board, and a decrease in jobs in the food service sector the past 12 months.

Government is the poison of any private sector growth.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I just heard on the radio that some min wage workers don't want it to raise to 15.00 because they get free child care from the state which will end if there income bracket rises. What a catch 22!!! So it seems 15.00 per hour hurts the owners and employees. Crazy California strikes again
I'm not sure how accurate that is, maybe you could do some research on it? For subsidized childcare a family of two can have a gross income of $3283. Gross for 40 hours a week @ $15 an hour is $2400 a month
Community Child Care Council of Santa Clara County, Inc : I am a Parent : Needing Help Paying for Child Care : Free or Low Cost Child Care Programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California