Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:59 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I believ the parents generally should be making decisions for their children.

I believe in environmental protection, but not to the current regulatory extent.

The federal governments job has always be to control the inflow of migrants and policies need to be out in place to punish those that have entered illegally and those that employ illegals.

Generally I'm for free trade of product as well.

I don't have a problem with public infrastructure but it needs to be well thought out and benefit society as a whole, and not special select groups. School vouchers need to be encouraged and public schools need to be accountable to the people in how they spend money and educate children.

It is really simple, I believe in as much Liberty as possible and the governments role is to secure said Liberty. In extreamly cases where the free market cannot provide adaquite services for society then the government takes over that role in as limited way as possible to achieve the results not being met by the free market.
IMO, you sound like a modern voice for the collective spirit of the founding fathers, and that is as it should be. I wonder what percentage of current new adults in the U.S. were ever encouraged to think like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 10:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
IMO, you sound like a modern voice for the collective spirit of the founding fathers, and that is as it should be. I wonder what percentage of current new adults in the U.S. were ever encouraged to think like this.
Very few.

People, in general, lack the courage to take responsibility for their lot in life. Not everyone had the same opportunity but everyone has the chance to improve their situation. Those that knowledge that and then work towards improving should be rewarded instead of those that always blame outside factors and want the government to somehow improve their situation.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:33 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
No. They should implement a 30 vacation day policy like the rest of the world.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,044,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
People in California get burned out like crazy, yet most people cant take any vacation time either because they dont get it from their employer or are pressured to stay on the job to stay "loyal".

California is the 6th largest economy in the world, and in all the other economies ahead of CA all workers get guaranteed paid leave.
CA got to be #6 because nobody takes vacation!!

Old 08-14-2016, 05:06 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
“Most people?” I don’t think I’ve ever applied or worked in a job that didn’t offer at least a 2 week paid vacation. Making it a law doesn’t really matters one way or the other because it’s already the norm.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:42 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
“Most people?” I don’t think I’ve ever applied or worked in a job that didn’t offer at least a 2 week paid vacation. Making it a law doesn’t really matters one way or the other because it’s already the norm.
Polls show that in a given year, more than half of all workers dont take any vacation at all. People are afraid of the consequences even if they are "offered" 2 or more weeks paid vacation. Making it a law matters a lot actually. When workers are required to take time off, the employer cant whip the workers into submission and punish people in the name of "freedom and liberty and the founding fathers".

Old 08-14-2016, 09:52 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Right. If you haven't experienced it personally : it must be the "norm".

Old 08-14-2016, 10:08 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Yeah. Why should government get involved shaping a healthier society? Stupid.
Quote:
More than half of American workers left vacation days unused in 2015 according to a study conducted by Project Time Off, an organization started by the U.S. Travel Association.
Yet not taking a vacation could be adding to your stress—and hurting your career. The study found workers who took at least 11 days off a year were more likely to have received a raise or bonus in the past 3 years than those who took less than 10 vacation days.
"Americans work really hard, but we need vacations to give us the break, so we can work smart," Katie Denis, senior director of Project Time Off told CNBC's "On the Money" in an interview.

So why are people not taking a vacation? ...

Why your dedication to the office could be damaging your career
The government ... would actually be helping businesses by mandating workers take vacations.

Read the article. Think a moment. It's simple.

Ah Libertarianism! The fantasy that without government meddling everyone will act intelligently and responsibly toward themselves and all others. Which incredible naivete has been disproven by every second of human existence since mankind left the caves 10,000 years ago.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:03 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
No, I don't think employers should be forced to offer this but I know I won't work anywhere that offers less than 3 weeks paid vacation (unless that area mandates separate sick time like in SF). I've turned down jobs because of poor benefits... if they still want to save pennies that way then good luck to them.

If companies did this I think we'd see wages being lowered to recoup the cost. So while I would personally love 2 months' vacation, it isn't worth it to me if my wages were lower. Most countries' average net salaries are still quite a bit lower than ours. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_average_wage This could be for many reasons but I suspect employee costs have something to do with it.

Edit: All that being said, if the CEOs of our all American companies were to say, "I'll give my employees a month of vacation and take it out of my enormous salary instead of lowering wages or cutting back on other employee perks" then that would be a no-brainer. But of course American CEOs don't dominate global lists of the most wealthy because they make decisions like this and you can't force them to.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:36 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. Why should government get involved shaping a healthier society? Stupid.

The government ... would actually be helping businesses by mandating workers take vacations.

Read the article. Think a moment. It's simple.

Ah Libertarianism! The fantasy that without government meddling everyone will act intelligently and responsibly toward themselves and all others. Which incredible naivete has been disproven by every second of human existence since mankind left the caves 10,000 years ago.
Ah liberalism, pretending someone four thousands miles away from me knows what is best for me and my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California