Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 12:56 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,579,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because when they get cancer from it, they're going to come demanding health care and invariably pass on costs to the rest of society.
But where does this line of thinking end? Shall we tax condoms to pay for kids on welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 AM

26,796 posts, read 26,927,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The cost of a cigarette never influences someone's decision to try their first cigarette. Did you ever smoke?
Yes; I started at age 19.

Quote:
Do you remember when and what the circumstances were? Was anyone discussing the cost of cigarettes?
Yes, and yes. We could barely afford the pack (I didn't buy them; my friend did).

Quote:
Nope.
Were you there?

Quote:
The cost won't stop someone from starting to smoke.
Do you read anything posted on here? You just keep posting your opinion over and over.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Do you read anything posted on here? You just keep posting your opinion over and over.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 PM

10,039 posts, read 9,529,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But we haven't eradicated smoking yet. Anything to keep young people from picking up the habit. And anything the tobacco industry is against, I'm for.

"Proposition 56 would get us within spitting distance of wiping out smoking in California completely."
— Anti-smoking expert Stanton A. Glantz, UC San Francisco

The tobacco industry's deceitful Prop 56 campaign takes a page from its old playbook - LA Times
Without knowing where the money net is going? Nice.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,296,263 times
I voted yes. I also voted yes on the soda tax in Oakland, and I also voted yes on legalizing/regulating marijuana. To be frank, I'm tired of my insurance premiums rising because of smokers, and since I've lost several family members to lung cancer and emphysema, and I wouldn't mind at all if cigarettes went away altogether. FWIW, I used to smoke about a pack and half a day when I was a young, stupid teenager up until my early twenties. It took me a while to quit, and I'm ashamed to admit I was a ever a smoker, but it's one of the most harmful things you can do to your body and those around you. I personally wouldn't mind if a similar tax was levied on alcohol either. I drink, but California booze prices are ridiculously low compared to other parts of the country, so I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a vice I enjoy.

To those who would say I'm a hypocrite for voting yes on this tax, and voting yes on legalized marijuana, I beg to differ. People should have a right to do whatever they want to their bodies in their own homes, but if it's going to cost society to clean up after them when they have bad side effects or their behaviors effect other people negatively (obesity/diabetes, second hand smoke, drunk/stoned driving, etc), that's when I say: if your vices matter to you so much, you might as well kick in some extra cash so you can enjoy them, while the rest of us are less burdened by your personal choices. We can argue about where the tax money should go (I prefer to specific causes, rather than just the general fund), but I'd rather that money at least come from someone else's personal vice fund than anywhere else.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Without knowing where the money net is going? Nice.
See post #38.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Why not let people make a decision for themselves about what they put into their body without the government influencing the decision?
Right. While we're at it, let's remove ingredient labels from packaged foods and abolish the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act (FPLA) of 1967. Let people decide on their own what's inside that stuff they purchase.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I voted yes. I also voted yes on the soda tax in Oakland, and I also voted yes on legalizing/regulating marijuana. To be frank, I'm tired of my insurance premiums rising because of smokers, and since I've lost several family members to lung cancer and emphysema, and I wouldn't mind at all if cigarettes went away altogether. FWIW, I used to smoke about a pack and half a day when I was a young, stupid teenager up until my early twenties. It took me a while to quit, and I'm ashamed to admit I was a ever a smoker, but it's one of the most harmful things you can do to your body and those around you. I personally wouldn't mind if a similar tax was levied on alcohol either. I drink, but California booze prices are ridiculously low compared to other parts of the country, so I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a vice I enjoy.

To those who would say I'm a hypocrite for voting yes on this tax, and voting yes on legalized marijuana, I beg to differ. People should have a right to do whatever they want to their bodies in their own homes, but if it's going to cost society to clean up after them when they have bad side effects or their behaviors effect other people negatively (obesity/diabetes, second hand smoke, drunk/stoned driving, etc), that's when I say: if your vices matter to you so much, you might as well kick in some extra cash so you can enjoy them, while the rest of us are less burdened by your personal choices. We can argue about where the tax money should go (I prefer to specific causes, rather than just the general fund), but I'd rather that money at least come from someone else's personal vice fund than anywhere else.
I really don't see the logic in voting against tobacco, because it causes lung cancer, but voting yes to pot, which also causes lung cancer.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 AM

6,418 posts, read 8,296,263 times
You really need to brush on basic science/facts and learn the difference between both substances- it's pretty obvious you haven't done a lot of research on the topic. Tobacco causes many types of cancer (lung, throat, mouth, cervical), COPD/emphysema, it contributes to heart disease and increases the risk of heart attack, it can lead to pregnancy complications and it also promotes tooth/gum disease. Roughly 1/3 of smokers die from the side effects of smoking.

As for comparing the harmful effects of pot smoke vs cigarettes:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/11...-lungs-tobacco
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17035389
Pot vs. Tobacco: Which Is The True Cancer Risk?*|*Marc Davis

I'm not saying firing up joints 24/7 is good for your lungs, but not everyone smokes that way. Many people vaporize, use water pipes, or consume it by eating edibles.

You are trying to equate the harms of both substances, but they aren't equally harmful to the human body- not even close. Marijuana has plenty of legitimate medical uses, while I can't think of a single reason a doctor would ever prescribe someone a cigarette. Lung cancer is just one of many harmful side effects of tobacco, which is why I think that if you're either dumb or stubborn enough to continue smoking, you should pay more for that "luxury".

Last edited by 04kL4nD; 11-06-2016 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: .

Old 11-06-2016, 11:08 AM

21,772 posts, read 16,435,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You really need to brush on basic science/facts and learn the difference between both substances- it's pretty obvious you haven't done a lot of research on the topic. Tobacco causes many types of cancer (lung, throat, mouth, cervical), COPD/emphysema, it contributes to heart disease and increases the risk of heart attack, it can lead to pregnancy complications and it also promotes tooth/gum disease. Roughly 1/3 of smokers die from the side effects of smoking.

As for comparing the harmful effects of pot smoke vs cigarettes:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/01/11...-lungs-tobacco
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17035389
Pot vs. Tobacco: Which Is The True Cancer Risk?*|*Marc Davis

I'm not saying firing up joints 24/7 is good for your lungs, but not everyone smokes that way. Many people vaporize, use water pipes, or consume it by eating edibles.

You are trying to equate the harms of both substances, but they aren't equally harmful to the human body- not even close. Marijuana has plenty of legitimate medical uses, while I can't think of a single reason a doctor would ever prescribe someone a cigarette. Lung cancer is just one of many harmful side effects of tobacco, which is why I think that if you're either dumb or stubborn enough to continue smoking, you should pay more for that "luxury".
100% correct. There is absolutely zero proof of pot causing lung cancer. There are allegations of that, based on correlations that some of the chemicals found in marijuana are also in tobacco cigarettes. But the evidence to the contrary is extensive. Strong academic studies dispute the correlations translate to causations. I won't bother posting a list of medical studies to support my claim here - unless someone wants to challenge me. I'm completely ready.

In fact, there are studies that indicate that marijuana actually kills lung cancer cells specifically. Yes, really. Peer-reviewed medical studies. I am not arguing it defeats lung cancer. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California