Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 11:34 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecoblaster View Post
As a Californian that has to go to work in Austin/Georgetown for a week out of every month I'm guessing you must've just done a quick pass by in Austin because there are many homeless in Austin. Next time you're in Austin try the Rundberg or Parmer Ln offramp off the 35 and you can see the homeless not only asking for money but have amounts on their signs as to what they're expecting you to give them, also off Steck Ave and Mopac, & downtown Austin has many homeless especially around 7th & Red River.
We saw four homeless people as soon as we got off the freeway and into Austin.

What town or city is there that doesn't have homeless people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 11:42 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Saying costs are similar because Texas has high property taxes is silly.

Here is a chart that shows you how far your dollar goes by state. It would be even worse if they focused only on population centers.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
http://www.money-rates.com/research-...ke-a-living/TX is wayy ahead of CA as the best State to make a living in.
Not for me. I would be taking about 30-35% paycut to work in Texas. I know former coworkers who moved there and got paid a lot less. One of my tenants is making 36% more here than Texas in wages? Not to mention the financial slaughter of selling our rentals and buying new and setting up shop there. Not to mon if I used a PMC out here I would hemmorage a minimum of about 12-14k just in basic fees. . I would lose income from those too. Or I would have to work a lot harder and more risk to get the same money from rentals ther as I do out here. Plus the way higher property taxes. Either wayTexas isn't my top 10. Maybe 15-20-25. I have other states I would move to (when I retire ) before Texas came on the radar. I don't have a problem with Texas. It's just financially not advantageous for me.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Not for me. I would be taking about 30-35% paycut to work in Texas. I know former coworkers who moved there and got paid a lot less. One of my tenants is making 36% more here than Texas in wages? Not to mention the financial slaughter of selling our rentals and buying new and setting up shop there. Not to mon if I used a PMC out here I would hemmorage a minimum of about 12-14k just in basic fees. . I would lose income from those too. Or I would have to work a lot harder and more risk to get the same money from rentals ther as I do out here. Plus the way higher property taxes. Either wayTexas isn't my top 10. Maybe 15-20-25. I have other states I would move to (when I retire ) before Texas came on the radar. I don't have a problem with Texas. It's just financially not advantageous for me.
Exactly! You can look on any job site and put in your industry and see how each state measures up in your career field. My career field has a 13.1% lower than the national average salary in Texas compared to the 40.6% HIGHER national salary in CA.

That is a huge difference and although the percentages will vary per industry, every profession has paid more in CA than in Texas and it's no secret amongst professionals that the salary in Texas is not impressive. The lower and low mid class love it because they can live in Texas comfortably without having any real skills or higher education.

Not to mention the people I know personally that were offered lower wages if they took jobs in Texas.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:51 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Pleaseshow him how wrong he is, so he will want to move there.

I am moving back to CA and that would make the State much more pleasant.
Hm, where to begin. The "Texas is dry and there's no decent water, trails, etc?" Obviously never been here.

"A lot of them are overweight", because nobody in CA is overweight, and most folks in Texas are HUGE.

Or the "smart people don't like Texas", and only people that can't "do better anywhere else" love it? Because there are NO smart people, and only a bunch of losers in TX. And none, naturally, in CA.

At least that's what I think they said, because the grammar, spelling and typing made it difficult to tell.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
TX is not for everyone. My salary did not change when I moved there or back to CA or away when I moved to TN and it will not change when I move back to CA.

Over all TX is better cost wise than CA, Each persons situation can be different. I would likely not m0ve back to TX myself, but not because it is not a good place to live. I have a habit of not moving back to any State I have lived in, except CA, which is where I was born.

Those who bash TX are as bad as those who bash CA. Different places and both have good and bad and each person gets to decide which is best for them.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Hm, where to begin. The "Texas is dry and there's no decent water, trails, etc?" Obviously never been here.

"A lot of them are overweight", because nobody in CA is overweight, and most folks in Texas are HUGE.

Or the "smart people don't like Texas", and only people that can't "do better anywhere else" love it? Because there are NO smart people, and only a bunch of losers in TX. And none, naturally, in CA.

At least that's what I think they said, because the grammar, spelling and typing made it difficult to tell.
Pulease, encourage them to move OUT of CA so I can have better neighbors when I move back to CA.

Old 12-26-2016, 04:53 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Saying costs are similar because Texas has high property taxes is silly.

Here is a chart that shows you how far your dollar goes by state. It would be even worse if they focused only on population centers.
But if I make 30% more in CA than Texas then the 15% advantage Texas enjoys is negated.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:15 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
I grew up in Texas - Houston as a kid, Dallas and Austin as an adult. I'm currently living in CA and I'm very likely to stay here.

I prefer the weather here. Period. You cannot change the Texas weather. I love how much of the year I can be outside without being miserably hot or cold.

But Texas does have a lot to offer. I find that the shopping and restaurants (of all styles and $$ levels) are way more abundant in Texas than out here. It' a huge difference to me, but one I'm willing to deal with for this great weather.

I think on the surface that Texans are very friendly, and certainly quite helpful to friends and strangers. I don't think Texans look down on you if you don't mold yourself into their culture. But if you look down your nose at them (and yes I have seen many Californians do this in Texas for some reason) then they are certain to snub you and move on to hang around nicer people.

I have found people in CA to be really nice as well, it just took me a bit longer to make friends when I got here.

Taxes. Wow. Yes property tax is double in TX vs CA. But home prices are so much lower it almost offsets. The CA state income tax put the total tax burden way higher here vs. TX. Once again something I'm willing to take on to live here.

We are lucky that we can afford a nice house here in CA. But I do understand people moving to Texas to be able to afford to buy a nice home in a safe area with good schools so they can build a life without being house poor.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Y'all realize that when you are done paying off that cheaper house that you keep on payin' those double rate property taxes till you drop dead? Right? No. I guess y'all don't realize how that adds up to your Texas palace costing just as much as a California home over time.

But whatever. I'm not bashing Texas a bit. Anyone who likes it is welcome to it and I hope everyone in California decides to move there. Pronto. Go Cowboys. Etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California