Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM

10 posts, read 52,387 times

Advertisements

We (my 22 yo daughter & I) are thinking of moving to Redondo Beach from Michigan, yippeee! We have a section 8 voucher we can use for rent but we can only spend $1,350 a month, what can we get for that? Something decent? Also, is Redondo a safe place, in that price range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:52 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Hey girlsonthemove,

My mother and her sister moved out to California from Michigan in the 50s. That is where she met my dad. As a result I grew up in the south bay (Hermosa, Redondo, Manhattan, Torrance beaches). My dad actually went to Redondo High and I went to Mira Costa. So as a local I have alot of experience with that area.

While growing up I watched Redondo Beach go from a primarily blue collar, sleepy beach town a very popular and expensive place. The price of land and cost of rentals have always been directly related to proximity to the beach. Thus the most expensive places are right along the water. But then there are some really nice parts of the city with ocean views which are also pricey.

For more affordable places I would look east of Aviation off of Artesia. My wife and I used to work in Apt. Management and so know that not every apt. takes section 8. But some will.

You best resource will be the local paper - the Daily Breeze. Check out their website. Also check out Craigslist. If you do your research and watch carefully you can really find some deals. So don't be put off by the high prices or potential lack of places on first glance. Remmember you are looking to move to a 'very' popular worldwide destination, unlike MI. So things take more work. But it is still doable IMO. And worth it if you are looking for a change of scenery, climate, etc...

Although I lived there my whole life until two years ago we (my family and I) did eventually want a change ourselves. We are now in Colorado which is also beautiful! I love the mtns. but I do sometimes really miss the coast and 'warm' winters.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. I would be more than happy to help out you Michiganders;-)

- Derek

Old 03-02-2008, 01:53 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Have you looked on rental web sites? Craigs list? That sounds like a 1 bedroom apartment in an OLD building to me.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Also $1350 doesn't go a long way anymore in the South Bay. I would also check out Torrance and Lomita for slightly more affordable housing. We lived in Torrance near Torrance High before moving to CO. Our rent at the time was ~$1250/mo for a two bedroom with a two car garage in a nice fourplex which was a 'good deal.'

I would think if you can qualify for section 8 in Redondo you would also qualify in Torrance and Lomita as well. And if you talk to the owners of a place where lets say the rent was $1400/mo. he may be willing to work something out with you. You could even possibly negotiate to pay him the extra $50 for example yourself.

Check here: South Bay Apts - Redondo

And here: South Bay Apts - Torrance

I don't know how you and your daughter feel about living in tight quarters or personal space. But if you are all right with living in a smaller place closer to the beach you will get a lot more for your $. For example there are alot more 1 bedrooms in your price range in nicer neighborhoods. While crime is not really a major issue in any part of the South Bay it still does happen just like anywhere - probably car theft mostly. I never had a place broken into after living there for over 40 years.

Also if you took a smaller place initially you could always upgrade after moving there and getting a better lay of the land.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-02-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 52,387 times
Thanks everyone for your advise, it's very helpful. If other people in CA are as friendly and nice as you all have been, we're going to be very happy there! I was out there in 1985 (Carlsbad) and fell in love with CA, then again in 2004 when my sister passed away and even though things have changed, I still love it. I hope I can continue to rely on this website for help. We tried to move out there in 2005 but had to return to MI (very depressed) because we just couldn't pull it off but this time I'm determined to make it work. MI is almost a ghost town, a very cold, gray ghost town! I'm 55 and sick of it! I love the beach and sunshine. Again, thanks!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 PM

12 posts, read 42,379 times
rendondo beach ca does have a section 8 program. how i know this i called the office their are plenty of people who live in redondo beach on section 8 dont let no one fool you. if you have 1 kid your vocher in redondo beach is 1400 yes you can get an apartment for that price i talked with the section 8 office their they only have the section 8 program they do not have the other housing programs these people who get section 8 in this city are hard working people who go to work every day with a low fixed income you can transfer your section 8 to redondo beach ca. you can contact the office by visiting their website the office i called are very nice people who will welcome you with no problem and you will be able to get atleast 2 blocks from the beach, im moving their soon my kid is an artist and got excepted into a private school in La
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California