Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,233,931 times

Advertisements

No thanks...I'll be registering my vehicles out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 07:45 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Be real careful about that...eventually most people get caught. All it takes is a neighbor who doesn't like you and the burden of proof will be on you to prove that you don't actually live in California. IMO it's just not worth taking the chance.

I have a neighbor here who brags about turning people in for out of state plates, in fact if you let him he will tell you the story of every single one he's ratted on, almost like notches on his gun belt.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,441,195 times
Quote:
Not wise.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Be real careful about that...eventually most people get caught. All it takes is a neighbor who doesn't like you and the burden of proof will be on you to prove that you don't actually live in California. IMO it's just not worth taking the chance.

I have a neighbor here who brags about turning people in for out of state plates, in fact if you let him he will tell you the story of every single one he's ratted on, almost like notches on his gun belt.
I don't run a plate on my vehicles either. Just a vanity placard thing.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I don't run a plate on my vehicles either. Just a vanity placard thing.
That might not work out too well for you either... CHP has license plate scanners, they get a null reading you are getting pulled over, what are you going to tell them? And it certainly won't keep a busybody neighbor from calling to report a car parked in your driveway with no plates.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
That might not work out too well for you either... CHP has license plate scanners, they get a null reading you are getting pulled over, what are you going to tell them? And it certainly won't keep a busybody neighbor from calling to report a car parked in your driveway with no plates.
I would just tell them I don't have a plate because I don't like the way it looks on my car. Which is the truth.

It's just a fix it ticket. And I haven't gotten pulled over in 15 years.

BTW it's not illegal to have a car with no plates in your driveway. Operating it on a roadway, yes....parked on a private piece of property, no. One would think the cops would say, "call us back when you see it on the road, because we can't do anything about it when it isn't."

Also, legally you could lease a car with out of state plates and operate it in CA. Rental car companies pick their state of domicile for their fleet, and they don't run afoul of any of this stuff. Surely a private individual can figure out the same arrangement with a little bit of effort.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I would just tell them I don't have a plate because I don't like the way it looks on my car. Which is the truth.

It's just a fix it ticket. And I haven't gotten pulled over in 15 years.

BTW it's not illegal to have a car with no plates in your driveway. Operating it on a roadway, yes....parked on a private piece of property, no. One would think the cops would say, "call us back when you see it on the road, because we can't do anything about it when it isn't."

Also, legally you could lease a car with out of state plates and operate it in CA. Rental car companies pick their state of domicile for their fleet, and they don't run afoul of any of this stuff. Surely a private individual can figure out the same arrangement with a little bit of effort.
I'm not going to argue this with you, it's silly. Parking an unregistered car in your driveway is a very common city/county ordinance. If you never get pulled over, that's great then you pulled one over on everyone in the state who pays their vehicle registration fees. congrats.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 AM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
I know a LOT of people that go in on rental trailers just the other side of AZ that have all their vehicles registered there. Quite clever. I've been debating it since i pay out the nose driving a F350.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to argue this with you, it's silly. Parking an unregistered car in your driveway is a very common city/county ordinance. If you never get pulled over, that's great then you pulled one over on everyone in the state who pays their vehicle registration fees. congrats.
Well I keep mine in the garage 90% of the time, except when I'm going to go back out in just a few minutes. But sure, point is there are plenty of ways around these ridiculous taxes. My LLC owns one of my cars. I have the permission of the LLC to drive it.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:39 AM

919 posts, read 791,740 times
Quote:
point is there are plenty of ways around these ridiculous taxes.
because you're smart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California