Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
there should be no problem if you are single. it saves a lot of resources and ease pressure on housing availability/affordability. this arrangement also helps the millenials to save for the DP for their house when they get married (if they are smart)

once you married that's another matter. you should move out from the family house.
Yeah I wouldn't want to live with family being married .
I know a couple that are married with two little kids and they live with family . I guess it works out for them but it sounds like they both make decent money so I would think they could get their own place . Maybe they are saving up for a big downpayment or something.
The house is a good size though .

I feel kind of bad for the parents though as they are babysitting a lot but maybe they don't mind it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
This article on the same study points out that this is a nationwide trend; it isn't just California. The percentage of young people living with parents is up nationwide.

I think that's important to keep in mind so that this doesn't become another "California bashing" thread.

Quote:

Nationwide, an estimated 24 million 18- to 34-year-olds lived in their parents’ home in 2015, an 8 percent increase from the previous decade, a Census Bureau report released Wednesday found. Every state in the U.S. saw an increase in the number of young adults living at home between 2005 and 2015 with the exception of North Dakota, which saw a 3.5 percent decrease.

Report: More young people are living with their parents

So, again, this isn't necessarily just a California trend, but a trend that is happening in all states but North Dakota.

Now, California does have a slightly larger percentage of young people living with parents, but I wonder if part of that can't be attributed to cultural differences related to the greater diversity of our population. In my experience, Asian, Indian, Middle Eastern (especially Iraqi), and Hispanic families tend to live in multi-generational housing situations more frequently than caucasian families.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-15-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Some of these 38 percentile stay-at-home's may be the product of cultural traditions. For example, I am friends with several Filipino families. Their "Old Country" tradition is to stay at home until they get married. As a result, most Filipino off-springs will live with parents until their wedding day. Add to this the fact that most people now marry in their late 20's/early 30's, it should be no wonder the percentages appear higher than normal.

Conversely, I've also met off-springs whose parents make life so comfortable that they zero reason or incentive to leave the nest. Regardless, if the parents and their off-springs are in agreement with this arrangement, more power to them.

I'm a Baby-Boomer, thus the product of a generation where one was expected to leave the nest immediately. I moved out just a few weeks shy of my 19th birthday. I remember feeling like a failure for not being able to leave sooner. It was a beautiful and different time with less restrictions, more opportunities, less competition, and more people willing to reach out to lend a helping hand.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
it is really no brainer if you are young, saddled with student loans and don't earn that much. just stay with your mom and pop, save for DP, pay off your debts and try marry/move out by 30.

you only need a bed to sleep at night anyway when you are in your 20s

Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Some of these 38 percentile stay-at-home's may be the product of cultural traditions. For example, I am friends with several Filipino families. Their "Old Country" tradition is to stay at home until they get married. As a result, most Filipino off-springs will live with parents until their wedding day. Add to this the fact that most people now marry in their late 20's/early 30's, it should be no wonder the percentages appear higher than normal.

Conversely, I've also met off-springs whose parents make life so comfortable that they zero reason or incentive to leave the nest. Regardless, if the parents and their off-springs are in agreement with this arrangement, more power to them.

I'm a Baby-Boomer, thus the product of a generation where one was expected to leave the nest immediately. I moved out just a few weeks shy of my 19th birthday. I remember feeling like a failure for not being able to leave sooner. It was a beautiful and different time with less restrictions, more opportunities, less competition, and more people willing to reach out to lend a helping hand.

not only Filipinos do that, most Asians, even Italians don't move until they get married

Old 05-15-2017, 01:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post

The friends I mentioned above , the wife is Filipino and they live with the parents . Husband is Hispanic .

I do think the high immigrant population in CA has something to do with it along with high costs of course.

As long as everyone is fine with the living conditions it's good .

Old 05-15-2017, 01:41 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
not only Filipinos do that, most Asians, even Italians don't move until they get married
I didn't say "only Filipinos" do that. I stated that I am friends with several Filipino families whose practice is such due to cultural tradition.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:43 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
We have actually encouraged our sons to live with us while in college (we can pay for college in full if they do, leaving them with no debt) and we have told them as long as they can live by our rules, they are welcome to live with us while single.

It would be wonderful if they could get a career started, save for a nice downpayment on a house, and be financially secure before starting a family.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:46 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I personally would not be enthused about the idea of living with my parent/s, but I see nothing wrong with it. In fact, it is to be expected in a place as expensive as California. Young people should be saving feverishly.
I agree with this.

Problem is, most young people living at home aren't saving feverishly. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the money that would have been going to rent is often going to payments on an overly expensive car and/or entertainment.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:49 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
I'm a "late Boomer" born in 1960 (not of a recent immigrant background). I bounced back and forth between my own place and my parent's home three times between 21 and 32. They didn't mind, I paid them rent and it helped me get back on my feet with a minimum of trouble. My older brother did the same - once with a wife and two kids. Its not a new thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: