Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 09:43 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,869,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
And yet not one of you can find anyone who left CA and pays more in taxes now that they left and there are numerous examples of those that moved and pay less in taxes. Oh the irony
See my post above, I am the example. Oh the irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 09:46 AM

456 posts, read 240,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
See my post above, I am the example. Oh the irony.
And you fail to mention that the 800k house would be a far better house in a far better suburb than your current city so a comparison like that is not apples to apples. Had you replaced your house with a similar house in a city in TX similar to thousand Oaks it would run you about $300k and your property taxes would be about $5000 to $6000 or half of what you currently pay. And I can list hundreds of listings that fit the bill. What you were going to do was move up substantially in house and area type. Please don't lie to us that know other areas.

Hey maybe we should just move from where we are to a 6000sf home in Bel Air for $1M where my property taxes would only be about $11,000. Internet must be broken because I can't find any listings.

At the same time anyone driving a $15,000 Toyota Corolla should sell it and buy a $100,000 Tesla because it is far cheaper since the gas bill will be $0.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 AM
DKM

Quote:
And you fail to mention that the 800k house would be a far better house in a far better suburb than your current city so a comparison that Is not apples to apples
No, it would not. We went to both places in person and compared. I am not going to give away details about where exactly I live, but my million dollar home is just as nice as what I came up with in some suburbs in Texas that were equally affordable in our budget (700k after the higher property taxes are factored in). You could get a cheaper nicer home there but not in a comparable school system... Same here. It's why I joined this site during my year long search. I have piles of data we sifted through. Scottsdale AZ came close as well as some other conservative areas. If it wasn't for the summers in AZ or Texas I would be living there right now. But financially it's not better for us, it's a tie at best.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 AM
DKM

Quote:
Nope you are wrong.

https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publ.../party-hoppers

From that: Leaving the Republican Party was most strongly associated with positive attitudes about immigration, self-identification as more ideologically liberal, and more liberal economic views.

Please do continue to make things up
Wrong thread for politics, but here I'm talking about mostly independents. We don't care about parties. We vote for policy.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
No, it would not. We went to both places in person and compared. I am not going to give away details about where exactly I live, but my million dollar home is just as nice as what I came up with in some suburbs in Texas that were equally affordable in our budget (700k after the higher property taxes are factored in). You could get a cheaper nicer home there but not in a comparable school system... Same here. It's why I joined this site during my year long search. I have piles of data we sifted through. Scottsdale AZ came close as well as some other conservative areas. If it wasn't for the summers in AZ or Texas I would be living there right now. But financially it's not better for us, it's a tie at best.
No it isn't.

Sorry but anyone who has lived in both know you have no clue what you are talking about. Please name the city in TX. You won't because you got caught.

Thousand Oaks would be like living in Carrolton TX with the school types being similar (Hebron High). Houses in Thousand Oaks are about 3x the cost of Carrollton. So a $350,000 house in Carrolton would run you about $1M in Thousand Oaks for a like type house. Prop taxes $6000-$7000 compared to $11,000. For $800,000 you could live in the city I do which is Southlake, TX. Our city and schools make Thousand Oaks and their schools look like a third world country. Then your property taxes would be about $18,000 to $20,000. The only city in So Cal that has a median income equal to ours is Bel Air.

Last edited by Bolanders; 01-12-2020 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 AM
DKM

Individual situations are just that, individual. A different career, family composition, desires are unique to all of us. I do not value a home merely by its size and schools. To get all the amenities that are important to us, it was 700k for a house in Houston or Dallas. You can tell me I'm wrong, but I know what we wanted in a home. We got it here for just under a million. The mortgage including property taxes was more on the 700k Texas house. After 30 years of the same payment, appreciation and inflation aside, you have a million dollars here to 700k in Texas. Different strokes for different folks. It's been fun. Sorry but this conservative much prefers living here.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Individual situations are just that, individual. A different career, family composition, desires are unique to all of us. I do not value a home merely by its size and schools. To get all the amenities that are important to us, it was 700k for a house in Houston or Dallas. You can tell me I'm wrong, but I know what we wanted in a home. We got it here for just under a million. The mortgage including property taxes was more on the 700k Texas house. After 30 years of the same payment, appreciation and inflation aside, you have a million dollars here to 700k in Texas. Different strokes for different folks. It's been fun.
I am not saying what you wanted in a house is wrong. I am saying you aren’t comparing like type things. Funny how I can give you hundreds of examples and you can’t give me one. Wonder why that is. 3x the cost minimum. Not arguable

Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM

42,863 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
Yes. Talking about how taxes are lower in CA than Iowa and TX because on a $100K house that does not exist for the masses in CA is pure fiction. I get that you don't understand why.
I gave the tax rate "per $100,000" I'm surprised that a financial genius such as yourself wasn't able to figure that out

Old 01-12-2020, 04:57 PM

42,863 posts, read 26,331,937 times
Quote:
I understand that but she and others have constantly talked about how CA has lower property taxes than state X, Y, or Z. The rate is only half the equation. Taxes are not paid in rates, they are paid in $. If we took all the homeowners in random city southern CA and matched them up with homeowners in random city DFW or random city Houston that was a like type city and sorted them by how much actual homeowners are writing checks for it would be painfully obvious. When I analyze things I look at the whole equation, not part of it.

Her last sentence in that post was to paraphrase - "Which taxes in CA did politicians make too high?" which is very easy to see she is trying to say that taxes are higher in all the other states she mentions, which again if we look at $ outgoing from a household towards taxes it isn't close. Someone getting fleeced and then supporting that fleecing just makes me shake my head. You want to tell me you are getting fleeced but the weather, scenery, etc is worth getting fleeced I can respect that since everyone values things differently, but don't insult us.

You want to tell me that this tax plan hurts a person then give me a specific example where it does and she failed to do it. In fact she gave an example that was the opposite. That is ever worse.
Why talk about what "she" means, or what "she said" I'm right here, so you could address me directly.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why talk about what "she" means, or what "she said" I'm right here, so you could address me directly.
I was responding to a different poster. That was pretty obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California