Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 05:26 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I am quite familiar with Sonora. Nice place with lots to do and a regional hospital that placed in the top 25% in a 2014 survey. Below average crime with above average schools (nationwide).

The City Data link was a bit dated and somewhat inaccurate. Even had a picture from a town in Wisconsin. But bear in mind that the city of Sonora demographics and home prices do not reflect Tuolumne as a whole. Sonora is one of the more expensive parts of the county excluding those subdivisions with 5 acre lots and 3000sf homes.

Median home price for the county as a whole is $275K. and 5% of the population is Indian ( as the local "native Americans" prefer to be called).
it's been a long time since I have been to Sonora.....I was in Jackson though a few years ago & Placerville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 10:16 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Jobs in the gold country are something that city people don’t understand. There are jobs in all fields and in many ways easier to secure. The medical field included. In the big city you might have 100 job postings in your field, but you’re competing with 5000 people for those openings. You’d be lucky to even get a response for an interview with that level of competition. In our area there might be five or six openings, but guess what, you might be competing with 20 or 25 people. When I applied for my Social Worker position there were 4 opinings in my county. I was very qualified. I had to compete with 8 other people. Needless to say I got hired and retired 15 years later. The op said can work anywhere and her husband has the perfect skill set for a rural area
I live in Sacramento, which is considered part of the Gold Country. The Motherlode, or towns up and down Hwy 49 is what you are talking about here. A good portion of the Motherlode is within commuting distance of the Motherlode. In fact, part of the Motherlode is within the Sacramento metro area, so there is a lot of competition for jobs (and housing) in much of the Motherlode. I've been looking at the job openings from Nevada County down through Amador County every week and I seldom find openings I qualify for (IT, GIS, geography related occupations), and when they do open up I apply and don't hear anything. If someone is in the medical field or just graduated from a police academy they should have no problem finding a job in the Motherlode. From about Tuolumne County to Mariposa County jobs go unfilled because most people, even though they love the area, don't want to live in an area where decent high speed internet isn't available and the grocery stores close at 8 PM. Especially for the salaries in those areas. Housing costs range from more expensive than you will find in Sacramento to just above what it costs to live in Fresno. The Motherlode isn't nearly as inexpensive as most people think it is.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I live in Sacramento, which is considered part of the Gold Country. The Motherlode, or towns up and down Hwy 49 is what you are talking about here. A good portion of the Motherlode is within commuting distance of the Motherlode. In fact, part of the Motherlode is within the Sacramento metro area, so there is a lot of competition for jobs (and housing) in much of the Motherlode. I've been looking at the job openings from Nevada County down through Amador County every week and I seldom find openings I qualify for (IT, GIS, geography related occupations), and when they do open up I apply and don't hear anything. If someone is in the medical field or just graduated from a police academy they should have no problem finding a job in the Motherlode. From about Tuolumne County to Mariposa County jobs go unfilled because most people, even though they love the area, don't want to live in an area where decent high speed internet isn't available and the grocery stores close at 8 PM. Especially for the salaries in those areas. Housing costs range from more expensive than you will find in Sacramento to just above what it costs to live in Fresno. The Motherlode isn't nearly as inexpensive as most people think it is.
??? 150 MPS too slow for you? Which I can get at my house? Safeway is open at midnight. Median home price is $275k.

Odd you can’t find a job in the motherload. My guess it has more to do than with fiber optic internet speed and grocery store hours than what you are saying. Your post is filled with contradictions. You say there are jobs but no one gets hired. Then you say no one wants to live here because the grocery stores close at 8pm. Who shops for food at 8pm???

Last edited by Mr5150; 10-28-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 12:14 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawindi View Post
Colorado?
CO is surprisingly expensive. And a very long commute from the OP's family members in SoCal, whom she wanted to stay within a relatively easy drive of.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 PM

234 posts, read 303,915 times
Check out Tehachapi!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:23 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
Quote:
Try the motherlode/gold country. Another consideration would be the Ukiah area. In my part of Motherlode, the median home price is about 275K and many homes in that range come with land and trees.
Look around Nevada city its gold country just saw a 2 acre plot with cute house around 255K listed (nice looking place) I would recommend it. Its also pretty close to the sac area/ auburn, etc.. for jobs...

Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 PM

Don't know how big of a house OP would want.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...784_rect/9_zm/

Old 10-30-2017, 08:46 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post

an 800 sq foot home is even too small for me, & it is just me & dh. but Grass Valley is a very pretty area. Keep looking Op.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
an 800 sq foot home is even too small for me, & it is just me & dh. but Grass Valley is a very pretty area. Keep looking Op.
Grass Valley & Nevada City area seem a bit pricey going by the listings I have seen, compared to other areas in the Gold Country

Old 10-30-2017, 09:10 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post

I think she has two kids. That's a nice property. They'd have to convert the garage to fit the kids in. The main part of the house looks like a mobile home, but they disguised it well. It looks well-maintained.

I thought someone said Paradise was more affordable. And there are possibilities in Placerville, with a little luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California