Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
So now, I figured out that the communities of Ridgecrest, Inyokern, Indian Wells, Rosamond, Mojave, Boron, North Edwards, and Aerial Acres are all located within the sprawling Indian Wells Valley. Correct? Is California City in it, too?
Only the bold, and the China Lake Base until the Coso Mountains.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The vast majority of personnel there is non-active duty.

And watch for falling cows.
Are they mostly techs, and engineers then from military contractors? The town must have a very household income with low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,132,821 times
Quote:
Only the bold, and the China Lake Base until the Coso Mountains.
Then what valley are Rosamond, Mojave, Boron, North Edwards, and Aerial Acres located in?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Then what valley are Rosamond, Mojave, Boron, North Edwards, and Aerial Acres located in?
Antelope Valley

Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
Quote:
East of Canebrake is Walker Pass, which is kinda scrubby/piney (including with Joshua Trees/Yucca), and snowy in winter. Canebrake has tons of Joshua Trees, and semi-piney mountains in the distance.

Onyx, very small town, it can get decent snow. Desert-ish.

Weldon is similar, but I swear it had a gas station (I can't find it now).
More like steppe surrounded by desert mountains.

I slept in Mountain Mesa once. Not much to it. Same for Southlake. You might as well call these Lake Isabella too.

Lake Isabella is the capital of it all, but it ain't much, though it has the most services. The lake is a reservoir, thus it dwindles in size, and there is apparently a town buried under it. The lake is very clean. Kind of scrubby mountains surrounding, but steppe-ish at ground level.

Wofford Heights can also get decent snow. Mostly scrubby.

Kernville is a nice little town, kind of transitional from desert to mountains, one of the classic California looks IMO. Touristy.

The whole area is in pretty deep economic decline. It's mostly retired people, it's fairly poor overall, but still a bit of a playground, but not overwhelmingly so.

North of Kernville, you can take a bunch of forest/back roads through the Sequoia National Forest, end up in Kennedy Meadows, and back down a terrifying switchback road to Inyokern.

The old service station and general store in Weldon is Paul's Place (originally Earl's Place). It has been there since about the 30s and is still there, as far as I know.

If you make the trip north of Kernville up into the Sequoias, bring your appetite and make sure you stop at McNally's for a steak.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
A town buried under Lake Isabella (lake)? Where did you hear about this?
Here's a little info and some pictures about Old Kernville. My great aunt (one of the ones that grew up in Atolia, reference your Trona thread) taught at the schoolhouse in Old Kernville. I have a bunch of photos somewhere.

https://www.sierranevadageotourism.o...4d9587d8903a2f

Old 11-01-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Dang, could you guys imagine a C-D road trip? That would be epic.
Are y'all going to come pick me up?

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, I also think Brandon should go exploring. Some of these places have really amazing history. If I were to pick an area from his multitudes of threads (haaa ha) I'd go to Randsburg, Red Mtn, Johannesburg, Atolia. Tons of interesting history there. I used to drive out there just to hike around and clear my head on my day off in the Spring and Fall.

Pro tip: the Mojave Desert can get very cold in the winter and is not to be trifled with.

Places to skip: Cal City and Trona. Ugh.

All this talk about the Mojave makes me miss the smell of sage brush.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Brother, you desperately need an atlas of California. I think you would like this:

https://www.amazon.com/California-At...40_&dpSrc=srch

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,132,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Antelope Valley
Oh, wow. I always thought that the Antelope Valley was only within Los Angeles County, no?

Old 11-02-2017, 07:19 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,773,028 times
Quote:
Oh, wow. I always thought that the Antelope Valley was only within Los Angeles County, no?
No. The LA/Kern County border line is man-made, arbitrary line created for political purposes. A valley is defined by topography. The two have nothing to do with each other. However, for convenience, they may be the same, such as state boundaries that align with a river.

The Antelope Valley is not a true "valley", but is generally defined to be bounded by the San Andreas and Garlock geologic fault zones on two sides. The eastern edge of the triangular shaped "valley" is not strictly defined, (that I know of), and is generally accepted to be somewhere a few miles west of Victorville. Once you see a satellite image of the area, the fault lines are quite obvious.

The Antelope Valley is the extreme western edge of the Mojave Desert, which itself is a part of the much larger Sonoran Desert.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California