Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you live in CA, would you move to another city/neighborhood if you had the means?
Yes 33 56.90%
No 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM

221 posts, read 519,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Don't take Charles personally, he asks everyone questions like this when they are asking about moving to southern california. if you answer him honestly, he'll probably have some pretty good advice for you.
Today is my first day of posting. Didn't take long to get some challenging replies. Thanks for the clarification. By the way, we love Santa Monica!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM

15 posts, read 41,444 times
Default Best Places in the World

I live in the two best places on the planet (me thinks) Big Sur, some days the beauty of it all can almost make you cry on other days it will scare the bejesus out of you. My kid’s dive off the rocks and swim in the sea when the otters are nowhere to be seen.
Our other refuge is the Metrogloglopolis (my creation) of London Town, a city with no equal.
If you doubt my words spend a year exploring this magnificent city and let it change your life.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsbeach View Post
Not happy living in Silicon Valley for the past two years. Rents and the overall cost of living are not worth it. We don't like the weather up here even though most of the long time residents deem it paradise. Consider a lot of people up here to be snobby. Neither of us feels like we fit in here.

In our travels, found that we much more prefer Southern California. Plan on moving within the next year or so to somewhere in the San Diego area along the coast.
What don't you like about the weather of Silicon Valley? It's almost the same as SoCal.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What don't you like about the weather of Silicon Valley? It's almost the same as SoCal.
Isn't the Bay Area generally cooler than SoCal unless to go to the other side of the hills, like to Gilroy?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 PM

That's only SF. SJ has 80* summers, but the winters are cooler. It's because SJ is in Silicon VALLEY. They have mountains to protect them from the cold ocean. The winters are only like 2* cooler tho.

Wedding Planner - Set the Date, Climate Comparision for San Jose, CA and Los Angeles, CA

Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,931,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala66 View Post
I live in the two best places on the planet (me thinks) Big Sur, some days the beauty of it all can almost make you cry on other days it will scare the bejesus out of you. My kid’s dive off the rocks and swim in the sea when the otters are nowhere to be seen.
Our other refuge is the Metrogloglopolis (my creation) of London Town, a city with no equal.
If you doubt my words spend a year exploring this magnificent city and let it change your life.
Your post reminds me of my travels to Big Sur in the mid/late seventies. It was absolutely the most beautiful coastline in CA. I went back years later and it was not a pretty but the ranger said that they had had a few dry years and the trees had paid the price.

How is it now days? I remember walking out from a forest of trees onto a beautiful beach with cliffs, large rocks on the shore and slightly off shore. It was spectacular.

I will miss that beauty now that we have moved to TX but the beautiful blue bells that just pop out all over the countryside and ranch homes out here are just as beautiful in the own way. It is a different type of beauty but it is the felling of being back to nature that I enjoy wherever we live.

Enjoy your little piece of heaven, not many people have the time or place like you do.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:18 AM

461 posts, read 1,449,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
That's only SF. SJ has 80* summers, but the winters are cooler. It's because SJ is in Silicon VALLEY. They have mountains to protect them from the cold ocean. The winters are only like 2* cooler tho.

Wedding Planner - Set the Date, Climate Comparision for San Jose, CA and Los Angeles, CA

I have lived in Silicon Valley (Palo Alto) for a few years now and I was HORRIFIED my first winter here. From everything I read and people I knew in the area, I was under the impression that it gets down to the low 60's in the winter. It is totally untrue. It goes below freezing many winter nights. I threw away my car window scraper when I moved here, but had to go buy a new one by November. There are many days in the winter where it doesn't even get up to 50 degrees. I also got rid of my winter coats and heavy sweaters when I moved here just to go buy them all over again. Even in the summer here while it may get up to 80 during the day (if you are lucky) it will be around 50 at night and you need heat almost 365 days a year. I actually think I do use heat every day of the year unless I'm on vacation. I loved our pool when we moved here, it's all pretty lit up at night, but I've never used it after dark because the temp drops so drastically that even though it's heated I will freeze to death getting out! Don't even get me started on the beaches! the water is 55 degrees year round! it's always cold and windy and fly infested on the "beach" too... yuck!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:35 PM

I'm sorry you misunderstood San Jose. Not to be rude, but you should have researched more. I actually like the weather up there. The temperature drops are drastic, but it's called Silicon VALLEY. Of course the temps will be drastic b/w night and day, summer and winter. SoCal does have better weather tho. However, even if you move to the warmest areas such as the valleys or inland empire, the winters drop below freezing. Highs will be in the 110's in summer and fall.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM

461 posts, read 1,449,903 times
[quote=jessemh431;3265850]That's only SF. SJ has 80* summers, but the winters are cooler. It's because SJ is in Silicon VALLEY. They have mountains to protect them from the cold ocean. The winters are only like 2* cooler tho.

This is what we read and were told by residents out here before moving. If you look on Weather.com it seems much warmer than it really is, I believe it even says the lowest average low is 40... we could live with that. But the reality is it gets down to the 20's most nights from Dec-Feb and the highs seem nice, but it usually doesn't get up to those temps until around 2PM, then it starts getting cold by 4. Weather.com also lists the lowest daily highs at 58 degrees, but really most days are in the 40's. Yesterday we went for a walk and we were cold in winter coats with long sleeved t-shirts and sweathirts! It's almost April!

Quote jessemh431:
"I'm sorry you misunderstood San Jose. Not to be rude, but you should have researched more. I actually like the weather up there. The temperature drops are drastic, but it's called Silicon VALLEY. Of course the temps will be drastic b/w night and day, summer and winter. SoCal does have better weather tho."

A little bit of a contradiction, no? We are planning a move to the So-cal coast so we won't have the drastic temp drops. We will be planning more thoroughly this time, instead of believing everything we read and people we talk to we'll actually spend a week in San Diego during each season. It wasn't really an option when we moved to Palo Alto (we moved from Pennsylvania and winter travel is a nightmare there)

Old 03-31-2008, 05:12 PM

Oh, wow. I didn't realize it was THAT cold. They don't have beaches in NorCal though which is why I don't like it.

Actually, LA's valley's and deserts have weather like that. Lancaster/Palmdale and Apple Valley/Victor Valley go down to 20's at night and up to low 50's in winter but summers go up to 110 and down to only 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California