Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
the best states should be full of people now if they have good quality of life
The best states are the best, because they do not have the concentration of people that California the worst state has.

It is the pure concentration of people, that has made California to be considered the worst state. It is the concentration of people, that causes so many people to die from air pollution every year. And the list goes on and on.

Migration between states is a good measure of how other areas consider an area. For years, California has had a negative in migration from other states, vs. migration from California to other states. In the period that California has increased by 50% in population, the white and black populations have gone down by millions. This drastic drastic increase is due to immigration from other countries, much of which is illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,300,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The best states are the best, because they do not have the concentration of people that California the worst state has.

It is the pure concentration of people, that has made California to be considered the worst state. It is the concentration of people, that causes so many people to die from air pollution every year. And the list goes on and on.

Migration between states is a good measure of how other areas consider an area. For years, California has had a negative in migration from other states, vs. migration from California to other states. In the period that California has increased by 50% in population, the white and black populations have gone down by millions. This drastic drastic increase is due to immigration from other countries, much of which is illegal immigration.
California isn't the most densely populated state. The most densely populated states are on the East Coast.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:48 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
and another article about the same report:

"Accompanying California in the lowest quality of life are: Texas, Illinois, Indiana and New Jersey. And they all ranked ahead of the Golden State. The top five states for quality of life are, in order, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Hampshire and South Dakota. Notice a commonality? All of those places have below-freezing temperatures in the winter."
California | State has worst quality of life in U.S., ranking says | The Tribune

lol I'd love to find the entire study and read it
It's linked - with the complete rankings - in the article:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Overall, California is ranked #32. QOL is just one of 8 different criteria.

California is ranked #4 for economy.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:10 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
This story was featured on the news earlier in the week. What I got from the people interviewed in the piece was that the weather was the biggest factor in their quality of life. One said better job opportunities and pay.

Real estate prices and high cost for rent were their only complaint. You don't need a survey to figure that out. Prices for rent AND buying are ridiculous, especially along the coast. Even inland, prices are rising but we do have a lot of developing going on again so that's a plus. No one interviewed mention political views. It was mainly about things to do (entertainment) and the weather. Who can argue with that, though? The weather is very good, no matter what season. Okay, in my area summer can get a little hot at times but that's why we have air conditioning. :

Old 03-03-2018, 07:18 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Here in San Diego...murder rates are at an all time low which is awesome for an area of 3 mil, weather is great, there are many outdoorsy options and we haven't turned into LA just yet.

People's biggest complaints down here in SD are high cost of living, salaries that don't offset the cost of living and homelessness.

Other than these three things, I would say people mostly seem happy here.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:47 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times
States with the best QOL per the article.
1. North Dakota
2. Minnesota
3. Wisconsin
4. New Hampshire
5. South Dakota.

Cold, cold and more cold Northern States.

I would say these State's probably do not have the best QOL, they just have the least to complain about.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:56 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Huh?

California Has Worst Quality of Life: U.S. News Study | PEOPLE.com
The study weighted the things people care about most — health care and education — more heavily, U.S. News explains. Fiscal responsibility and quality of life were found to be least important to people.

Wait a minute, wasn't this supposed to be a QOL ranking? This sounds like doublespeak:"I will rank your QOL, but I will ignore your fiscal responsibility and QOL because (In my opinion) these things are not very important to people."

I haven't read the "study," but I have to wonder if it was rigged and "weighed" to come out the way US News wanted it.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-03-2018 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-03-2018, 08:05 PM

665 posts, read 613,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Exactly, quality of life is largely driven by wealth/income, especially in the prime real estate areas. This state is heaven if you are in the high end of the upper-middle and upper classes.
Agreed. If you don't make enough money, have a large family inheritance, win the lottery, or have a nice house passed down to you, living in the metro areas of California will be challenging.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's linked - with the complete rankings - in the article:
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Overall, California is ranked #32. QOL is just one of 8 different criteria.

California is ranked #4 for economy.
I was referring to the actual methodology employed in the study. The only thing I could find was that it was based on 30,000 interviews, but interviews with who? Where did the people live, what was their age, what exactly were the questions they were asked? Was it an online survey, telephone, snail mail? Without knowing that the results don't really tell me a whole lot.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Huh?

California Has Worst Quality of Life: U.S. News Study | PEOPLE.com
The study weighted the things people care about most — health care and education — more heavily, U.S. News explains. Fiscal responsibility and quality of life were found to be least important to people.

Wait a minute, wasn't this supposed to be a QOL ranking? This sounds like doublespeak:"I will rank your QOL, but I will ignore your fiscal responsibility and QOL because (In my opinion) these things are not very important to people."

I haven't read the "study," but I have to wonder if it was rigged and "weighed" to come out the way US News wanted it.
I agree, without knowing more it's quite meaningless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California