Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 09:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
And yet three of the best places to live in the USA are in California:

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...the-us-in-2017

Eleven of the safest cities in the USA are in California

The 28 safest American cities to live in - Business Insider

Seven of the best cities for spending time outdoors:

Best US cities to live in if you love spending time outdoors - Business Insider

Starts hitting in your 30's.

8 of the top 25 happiest places to live in the USA

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...d-states-2017/

Ranked 15th out of 50 for most fun state:

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-fun-states/34665/
Which means it is not the best, just one of the best, based on their standards. CA is a great place if you can afford it and you live away from the bad air that covers most of the State.

Lung cancer is #4
Lung disease is #5

CALIFORNIA CAUSES OF DEATH BY AGE AND GENDER

And it hits in your 30's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 10:11 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Which means it is not the best, just one of the best, based on their standards. CA is a great place if you can afford it and you live away from the bad air that covers most of the State.

Lung cancer is #4
Lung disease is #5

And it hits in your 30's
That explains why my friends all dropped like flies, in their 30's, and why the population thins noticeably, in the 40+ demographic.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That explains why my friends all dropped like flies, in their 30's, and why the population thins noticeably, in the 40+ demographic.

Well it is the 4th and 5th cause of death in CA so a lot of people are dying and far more have problems that they have not yet died from. Now if they moved to CA while in their 20's it may not show up until their 60's or even later or maybe they will die some other way first.

It isn't just about death but the damage people have to live with. CA has bad air. It used to be terrible and now it is just ... bad for you.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:

Lung cancer is #4
Lung disease is #5

And it hits in your 30's
Using your source those two conditions are in the top 5 for every state I checked on your link, in Nevada they are #2 and #3. Here's another source for you, look at the states with a high incidence of death from lower respiratory disease. That includes COPD, Emphysema and Asthma

reproduced pursuant to fair use doctrine. Source: Death map: The most common causes of death in each state of the union

Old 03-05-2018, 10:53 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:

Lung cancer is #4
Lung disease is #5

And it hits in your 30's
Interesting, but I just heard on NPR that CA ranks 4th from the bottom of all states in lung cancer deaths since there are fewer smokers here.

So, while lung cancer and lung disease are leading causes of death for Californians, the risk of getting it is even worse in most other states like TN, AR, KY, etc:

Lung Cancer Rates by State
https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/statistics/state.htm

Old 03-05-2018, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 4,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Using your source those two conditions are in the top 5 for every state I checked on your link, in Nevada they are #2 and #3. Here's another source for you, look at the states with a high incidence of death from lower respiratory disease. That includes COPD, Emphysema and Asthma

reproduced pursuant to fair use doctrine. Source: Death map: The most common causes of death in each state of the union
I'll bet that chart has a higher correlation to smoking vs. air quality. So both of you are arguing about 1 cause and then trying to prove it with data that represents another cause.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Well in the end non of these articles for best and worse are truly accurate. Depends on the individual, their money, health, and attitude.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:14 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bougie View Post
I'll bet that chart has a higher correlation to smoking vs. air quality. So both of you are arguing about 1 cause and then trying to prove it with data that represents another cause.
I'm not arguing anything, I simply stated that the cause of death due to respiratory disease and lung cancer is in the top 5 or 6 causes of death in every state in the US. Yes there are areas in California with bad air quality but in most top ten rankings, Dallas, Houston and Salt Lake City also make the list. If you have some way to determine how many deaths from lung disease and cancer are directly attributable to a particular cause, i.e. smoking vs air pollution then please share it with us, it would be interesting to review that data.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 4,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not arguing anything, I simply stated that the cause of death due to respiratory disease and lung cancer is in the top 5 or 6 causes of death in every state in the US. Yes there are areas in California with bad air quality but in most top ten rankings, Dallas, Houston and Salt Lake City also make the list. If you have some way to determine how many deaths from lung disease and cancer are directly attributable to a particular cause, i.e. smoking vs air pollution then please share it with us, it would be interesting to review that data.
I do not have anything immediately available as it is not something that greatly interests me as I have no problem with the air quality in CA. I did a 6 week stint in China and the air in Wuhan and Beijing was the worst thing I have ever experienced.

If you really do want to try to isolate the data I would recommend you look into some pulmonologists and see what type of research is coming up on PubMed.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Interesting, but I just heard on NPR that CA ranks 4th from the bottom of all states in lung cancer deaths since there are fewer smokers here.

So, while lung cancer and lung disease are leading causes of death for Californians, the risk of getting it is even worse in most other states like TN, AR, KY, etc:

Lung Cancer Rates by State
https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/statistics/state.htm
Yes some States are worse, but that does not make CA good for people. This is about CA. Remember it is a LARGE State and the majority of people live in metro areas. Those areas are BAD. Living in Northern CA near the coast is far better than LA or OC even near the coast. When someone chooses to move anywhere they better check the areas they are looking at not just the State level.

I have posted a nice tool many times to use: airnow.gov. Put in a zip code and use the tools on the map to see what things are like in a given area.

Yes smoking adds to the problem, both tobacco and Pot. The problem is you do not know what damage is being done over the years just by the air even if you are a non smoker, so ignoring it is not smart. The sire below just covers air pollution and not smoking issues, so it is far more important to read.

When you look at it by city/metro CA has the 7 worst and 8 in total out of 18 for the whole Country.

This is not just El Centro and Bakersfield, but LA/LB and SF/Oak and one that surprised me, SLO.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/air...-us-cities/17/

Last edited by expatCA; 03-05-2018 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California