Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:39 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Like Sydney, I go multiple times a week year round mostly paddleboarding nowadays. However, I live in Monterey which is much less crowded than LA.

I grew up in LA and surfed all the time, year round. I also lived a block away. Eventually, the summer crowd scenes got really old and so I preferred to go somewhere else during summer months like the mountains. Basically, get out of dodge!

I gotta be honest, Santa Monica pier was *never* my thing. it just seems way too crowded, super touristy and weird overall. I greatly prefer the South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, etc...). Even more I like beaches to the north and south of LA.

Derek
This is very common in the Monterey Bay Area, I've noticed. People go to the beach daily, as a way to unwind after work.Many simply walk or bike along a cliffside sidewalk/promenade, to enjoy the view and the ocean energy, others descend to the beach, to relax in the sun, or splash along the water's edge. Others go to the main beach in Santa Cruz, for volleyball games, or walking or sunning or dog-walking, and still others grab their surfboards, and enjoy the long summer evenings, practicing their sport. The beach is a daily, or almost daily presence in many people's lives, on this part of the coast. I think it's a very healthy thing, both mentally and physically. Kind of Zen, in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 02:44 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I don't have a plan, but I'm sure I'll be there various times. When my kids were younger, we had a standing date with a friend and her kids to meet at Corona del Mar every Friday at noon. We'd stay until the sun started going down and those are some of my (and my kids') best memories ever. This went on for years. What happened...the kids grew up and the friend moved away.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:55 PM

60 posts, read 60,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't have a plan, but I'm sure I'll be there various times. When my kids were younger, we had a standing date with a friend and her kids to meet at Corona del Mar every Friday at noon. We'd stay until the sun started going down and those are some of my (and my kids') best memories ever. This went on for years. What happened...the kids grew up and the friend moved away.
Well, times change kiddo. Learn how to not dwell too much on the past or else you’ll be in an endless cycle of summertime sadness. Just be glad your children are actually still alive with all these shooting happening in K-12 campuses.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:11 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is very common in the Monterey Bay Area, I've noticed. People go to the beach daily, as a way to unwind after work.Many simply walk or bike along a cliffside sidewalk/promenade, to enjoy the view and the ocean energy, others descend to the beach, to relax in the sun, or splash along the water's edge. Others go to the main beach in Santa Cruz, for volleyball games, or walking or sunning or dog-walking, and still others grab their surfboards, and enjoy the long summer evenings, practicing their sport. The beach is a daily, or almost daily presence in many people's lives, on this part of the coast. I think it's a very healthy thing, both mentally and physically. Kind of Zen, in some ways.
Yes, its really enjoyable even if one doesn't go in the water. We get all ages out and enjoying it from the youngest to the oldest. Its kinda hard not to when it looks like this.

Derek

Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 AM

262 posts, read 202,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1983 View Post
Just wondering if you long timers love or hate going to the beach during summer season aka tourist season. Before attending UCLA, I lived in Pasadena and mostly everyone I knew wouldn’t bother driving to the coast because of the traffic. It could take two hours one way on a bad traffic day to go to Santa Monica.

When I was at UCLA, I appreciated the beach more but still hated summers because of the crowds. It sucks seeing disrespectful people who litter at the beach and seems like every night there was a drunken college fight on the pier.

Some people think Hollywood Blvd is our Times Square but I would argue it is the Santa Monica Pier and 3rd street.
You’re thinking too small try Hermosa in January. Trust me. It’s worth the wait

Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
You’re thinking too small try Hermosa in January. Trust me. It’s worth the wait
I agree! Though I'm definitely biased since Hermosa is my hometown. But yes, winter was my favorite season in Hermosa at the beach. Crowds were low and when the sun came out which was often it was beautiful and way more quiet than summer. Those are the times you forget you are actually in LA county.

But Santa Monica Pier in the summer? Seriously (which I'm doubting)? Why limit yourself to that only? Its like a bad cartoon caricature of the beach in summer. I place it at '0' on a scale of 1 to 10. There are soooo many better options. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of anywhere worse, maybe Malibu/Malizoo in the summer?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-31-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-03-2018, 12:17 AM

270 posts, read 210,869 times
I'm 15 mins away from the beach and I never go during the summer. Too hot. I like to go during evening time in Fall and Winter. Gloomy day is perfect for me to go.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:05 PM

60 posts, read 60,312 times
It’s 90 degrees with high humidity here in LA today. Bout to hit up Santa Monica Beach!

Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Me - zero beach visits planned. My daughter's best friends house is located on the first street near the beach and her back yard faces the beach. What a view at sunset when it's not foggy!!! My daughter will visit her friends a couple of times a week and they'll walk the dogs on the beach.

We actually live about 20 minutes from the beach (driving).
In our area the back yard is the street side and the front yard is the Ocean View Side.

Old 06-10-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin1983 View Post
It’s 90 degrees with high humidity here in LA today. Bout to hit up Santa Monica Beach!
So how crazy, crowded was it? Summer, weekend, mid day... It' kinda seems too zoo like. Was it not?

Funny thing is we're in Hawaii right now and went to a really popular beach for snorkeling. However, we got in the water before 9AM and still beat most of the crowd. Once in the water with all those fish you can find a section of reef with very few people. So even though a weekend with greater crowds it was still very enjoyable. And yes, being in the ocean really beats sitting indoors on a hot day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California