Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:40 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
The number of uneducated and those that did not finish high school is directly proportional to the number that vote for free everything/ nanny state agenda policies.

Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 01:49 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Every state has uneducated people,but California also has a lot of people with the Brightest Minds and Hard Workers too...Look at what California has achieved.

1) The Largest Economy in the Country.... State GDP is approaching 3 Trillion $U.S.

2) 5th Largest Economy in the World....To put this in a different perspective,California currently has a Larger Economy than Canada or Mexico,and every other country in Central America and South America,Russia,India,Australia and the entire continent of Africa.

3) California created 3 World Renowned Cities...L.A,San Francisco and San Diego.

4) California created America's 2nd Largest City.

5) California created one of the Largest Agricultural Region in the Country and the World.

6) California's Innovations have changed the Modern World we live in,and California has influenced the World in many ways.

7) California has the most best Universities in the Country.

For an Uneducated State,the people here in California sure have achieved much

GDP approaching $3T and can't fix a pothole. Where's all that money going? I need new tires, again. Maybe a new rim.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:03 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If you and like others were truly as confident, assured, etc. about California as you try to portray, you wouldn't care one whit whether someone criticized the state or not. You would ignore the criticism, and laugh to yourselves.
Oh, we do laugh.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,781 times
It's gonna take some time to get our Highways/Freeways fixed,but as time goes by you will notice the improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
GDP approaching $3T and can't fix a pothole. Where's all that money going? I need new tires, again. Maybe a new rim.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It's always the same story from dropouts. "I was just bored and school was a waste of my talents" or whatever variation of that nonsense they want to spew out. It fools no one. Every drop out I ever met says the same story and it's always glaringly obvious they were lazy and just didn't want to do the work required.

The fact is high school and college is not just rote memorization and teaches you to think. I went through two undergrads and a masters. Very few of my upper level undergrad and none of my masters was memorization or boring. The entire point of it was to teach you how to think, gather information, and learn how to apply the concepts of the class. It was far from a waste of time. I have no idea how anyone could seriously justify not getting an education or deem it not important and a waste of time.
I want to personally thank you for your contribution ... keeping this discussion lively and interesting!

So, you have TWO undergrad and one Masters degrees! And yet, somehow you failed to acquire the intellectual curiosity (and/or skills?) to check your hypotheses with regard to dropping out of school being a result of laziness? ... And, that not getting a formal education is a wasted life opportunity! My!

Here we are, in the information age where a quick keyword search delivers a plethora of information to support or obviate personal opinion ... and ... well ... tell your story to:

Thomas Edison - 3 months of high school

Wilber and Orville Wright - high school drop outs

Srinivasa Ramanujan - failed out of college (basically due to boredom with subject matter)

Michael Faraday - basically had no formal education of any kind yet managed to become one of history’s most influential minds in all things electrical, and more (He discovered electro-magnetic induction, he discovered benzene, figured out the shape of magnetic fields, discovered metallic nano-particles (thought to be the birth of nano-science)

Gregor Mendel - a nearly completely uneducated monk who discovered genetics.

I can go on ... at great length, by the way ... we haven’t even talked about the ancient Greeks like Archimedes and Pythagorus.

But also, back to your “who gets bored” comment for a moment before I close:

Quote:
The miseducation of our gifted children
This article written by Ellen Winner a professor of Psychology at Boston University addresses some of the issues gifted children often face. This article supports acceleration and gifted students needs for advancement within schools. This article suggests raising standards in all classrooms, to raise achievement for all students not just the brightest.
Topics Educational Options: Acceleration Support: Advocacy
Author Winner, E.
Year 1996

Numerous studies confirm a sad finding: The most intellectually gifted students in the United States typically have little good to say about their schooling. Gifted children are usually bored and unengaged in school; they tend to be highly critical of their teachers, who they feel know less than they do, and they are often underachievers. In the best-case scenario, teachers recognize a student as gifted but, unable to teach at this level, they let the child learn independently. In the worst-case scenario, teachers fail to recognize a child as gifted and classify the child as unmotivated or even hostile.
The miseducation of our gifted children
And more to keep that lively educated mind of yours engaged:

Most Students Bored at School
https://www.livescience.com/1308-stu...ed-school.html

Quote:
Associate Professor Jal Mehta says, “There's no big external motivating force in American education except for the small fraction of kids who want to go to the most selective colleges.”
Quote:
In fact, in the preface to Boredom: A Lively History, Peter Toohey presents the possibility that boredom might not even exist. What we call “boredom” might be just a “grab bag of a term” that covers “frustration, surfeit, depression, disgust, indifference, apathy.” Todd Rose, Ed.M.’01, Ed.D.’07, a lecturer at the Ed School and director of the Mind, Brain, and Education Program, says the American education system treats boredom as a “character flaw. We say, ‘If you’re bored in school, there’s something wrong with you.’”
Quote:
A 2013 Gallup poll of 500,000 students in grades five through 12 found that nearly eight in 10 elementary students were “engaged” with school, that is, attentive, inquisitive, and generally optimistic. By high school, the number dropped to four in 10. A 2015 follow-up study found that less than a third of 11th-graders felt engaged. When Gallup asked teens in 2004 to select the top three words that describe how they feel in school from a list of 14 adjectives, “bored” was chosen most often, by half the students. “Tired” was second, at 42 percent. Only 2 percent said they were never bored. The evidence suggests that, on a daily basis, the vast majority of teenagers seriously contemplate banging their heads against their desks.

Some of boredom’s progression seems obvious, such as:

An escalating emphasis on standardized tests.

The novelty of school itself fades with each grade.

Lack of motivation.

The transition from the tactile and creative to the cerebral and regimented.
https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/ed/...ut-their-minds

Well, I can go on all week ... but you get the idea, I hope. Lol.

And we didn’t even go to high school grads who started college and then dropped out ... like:
Steve Jobs, Paul Allen, Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Larry Ellison, Mark Zuckerberg ...

Hey, it’s suppertime almost. I’m getting hungry. Toodles.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Every state has uneducated people,but California also has a lot of people with the Brightest Minds and Hard Workers too...Look at what California has achieved.

1) The Largest Economy in the Country.... State GDP is approaching 3 Trillion $U.S.

2) 5th Largest Economy in the World....To put this in a different perspective,California currently has a Larger Economy than Canada or Mexico,and every other country in Central America and South America,Russia,India,Australia and the entire continent of Africa.

3) California created 3 World Renowned Cities...L.A,San Francisco and San Diego.

4) California created America's 2nd Largest City.

5) California created one of the Largest Agricultural Region in the Country and the World.

6) California's Innovations have changed the Modern World we live in,and California has influenced the World in many ways.

7) California has the most best Universities in the Country.

For an Uneducated State,the people here in California sure have achieved much
Some people.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:31 PM

872 posts, read 596,088 times
The number of uneducated and those that did not finish high school is directly proportional to the number that vote for pro crime, pro homelessness policies.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
The number of uneducated and those that did not finish high school is directly proportional to the number that vote for pro crime, pro homelessness policies.
Wow. This really goes deep into analysis ... cause/source/effect. As usual, a searingly intellectual expose. Deeply researched!

Old 12-21-2018, 07:05 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Wow. This really goes deep into analysis ... cause/source/effect. As usual, a searingly intellectual expose. Deeply researched!
Thanks for my laugh of the evening, Mutt.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Thanks for my laugh of the evening, Mutt.
I’ll be here all week ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California