Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 07:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Growth for the sake of growth is not sustainable.
True, but less people will mean less income for the State, Counties, Cities and who will pay for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 07:53 PM

112 posts, read 130,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Well, i guess since you live in Switzerland you have no skin in the game so to speak? One of the reasons that the growth is slowing is over population and over loving the State. I would not be opposed to a large slowing so we can catch our breath.

Another reason might be the Cost-of- Living is way out of proportion the the rest of the Country, except for perhaps NY.

Recently, vacationed in Minnesota and noted i could buy three comparable homes for the price of my California estate. Made me ponder for a bit.

If you can handle 6 months of bitter cold, Minnesota might work for you. My brother moved there several years ago and says he’d never move back to Ca. I am not him. I will be moving back next year lol. No cold for me.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Trees don’t grow to the sky. But 0.47% growth in one year isn’t exactly stagnant, especially considering how high California’s population already is. To me, that’s manageable growth.

I don’t find anything in that article troubling per se other than the fact that the over 65 population is becoming a larger share of the total population, just because that will be an added financial burden. But that’s also a national problem.

Americans are having less kids. Also a national issue. And immigrants to California are more educated, also having less kids. A more California-specific issue, but not necessarily a negative.
That is not why the growth has slowed down: what an interesting statement: the immigrates coming to CA are more educated. Please tell us where you got that idea? The less kids in true though out the country. The big issue is the illegals entering the country, primarily CA and the number of children minorities are having.
Between the high cost of living and the negatives that off set some of the positives in CA people are choosing other states to call home. This doesn't mean CA will stop growing or dry up but the glory days may not be slowing down.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:31 AM

26,754 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is not why the growth has slowed down: what an interesting statement: the immigrates coming to CA are more educated. Please tell us where you got that idea?
Nita, he read the article linked in the OP. That's exactly what's stated.

Quote:
The big issue is the illegals entering the country, primarily CA and the number of children minorities are having.
California's birth rate is dropping. And immigration has slowed.

Where are the babies? California sees slowest population growth since it started counting:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...229910029.html

"California had its slowest recorded growth rate in its history last year as the country's most populous state was hit by a slowdown in immigration and a sharp decline of births."

California Inches Toward 40M People, but Growth Rate Slows: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-in-california

Old 09-29-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Nita, he read the article linked in the OP. That's exactly what's stated.

California's birth rate is dropping. And immigration has slowed.

Where are the babies? California sees slowest population growth since it started counting:
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...229910029.html

"California had its slowest recorded growth rate in its history last year as the country's most populous state was hit by a slowdown in immigration and a sharp decline of births."

California Inches Toward 40M People, but Growth Rate Slows: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...-in-california
I do realize illegal immigration has slowed down, but it is still higher in CA than in most states. That is my point.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:39 AM

21,747 posts, read 16,378,713 times
Quote:
I do realize illegal immigration has slowed down, but it is still higher in CA than in most states. That is my point.
Slowed down? ... it declined.

Here’s some reading for you nita:
Quote:
Just the FACTS
Immigrants in California
California has more immigrants than any other state.
California is home to almost 11 million immigrants—about a quarter of the foreign-born population nationwide. In 2017, the most current year of data, 27% of California’s population was foreign born, more than double the percentage in the rest of the country.

SOURCE: US Census Bureau, decennial censuses and the American Community Survey.
Most immigrants in California are documented residents.
More than half (52%) of California’s immigrants are naturalized US citizens, and another 34% have some other legal status (including green cards and visas). According to the Center for Migration Studies, only about 14% of immigrants in California are undocumented. From 2010 to 2017, the number of undocumented immigrants in the state declined from 2.9 million to 2.4 million.

After decades of rapid growth, the number of immigrants has leveled off.
In the 1990s, California’s immigrant population grew by 37% (2.4 million). But in the first decade of the 2000s, growth slowed to 15% (1.3 million), and in the past 10 years, the increase was only 6% (about 600,000). The decline in international immigration has contributed to the slowdown of California’s overall population growth.

The majority of recent arrivals are from Asia.
The vast majority of California’s immigrants were born in Latin America (50%) or Asia (40%). California has sizable populations of immigrants from dozens of countries; ... However, most (56%) of those arriving between 2010 and 2017 came from Asia; only 29% came from Latin America.
Asia has surpassed Latin America as the leading source of recent immigrants to California

Most of California’s immigrants speak English.
Most immigrants in the state are bilingual. More than two-thirds (69%) report speaking English proficiently, while only 10% of immigrants speak no English. Even among recently arrived immigrants, those in the United States for five years or less, 67% report proficiency in English.

California’s immigrants have both very low and very high levels of education.
In 2017, foreign-born residents accounted for 71% of Californians age 25 and older without a high school diploma and 31% of college-educated residents. But recent immigrants and immigrants from Asia tend to have very high levels of educational attainment. About half (48%) of foreign-born residents who have come to the state since 2010—and 58% of those who have come from Asia—have at least a bachelor’s degree. ...

Californians have positive views of immigrants.
Nearly three in four Californians (72%) believe immigrants are a benefit to the state because of their hard work and job skills, compared to only 23% who believe they are a burden. ...
https://www.ppic.org/publication/imm...in-california/

Old 09-29-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Slowed down? ... it declined.

Here’s some reading for you nita:

https://www.ppic.org/publication/imm...in-california/
OMG good or bad for the state: this depends on who did the study or interviews. We all know that, even you. Slowed down, declined whatever.All I have to do is see where these articles are coming from: not to mention, we are talking illegals versus legal. huge difference. Some say they are hard working and yes, some are, just like some workers in any group are hard working, but certainly they do create problems Many interviewed may not even have direct experience with illegals, They are basing their on hear say.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 AM

21,747 posts, read 16,378,713 times
Quote:
OMG good or bad for the state: this depends on who did the study or interviews. We all know that, even you. Slowed down, declined whatever.All I have to do is see where these articles are coming from: not to mention, we are talking illegals versus legal. huge difference. Some say they are hard working and yes, some are, just like some workers in any group are hard working, but certainly they do create problems Many interviewed may not even have direct experience with illegals, They are basing their on hear say.
Nita, just stop. It’s not an “article”. It’s a report from the California Public Policy Institute. The sources for the report data are listed. Here they are again:

Sources: American Community Survey and decennial census data from the US Census Bureau and IPUMS; Ruggles et al., Integrated Public Use Microdata Series: Version 6.0 (University of Minnesota, 2015); State-Level Unauthorized Population and Eligible-to-Naturalize Estimates (Center for Migration Studies, 2016); Baldassare et al., PPIC Statewide Survey: Californians and Their Government (PPIC, December 2018).”

Don’t you ever look anything up before you post?

Yes, “declined”. Directly opposite your commentary.

“Illegals vs legals” is well covered in the commentary linked.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:33 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,802,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.” - Edward Abby
I never thought I'd agree with you....twice in one day at that...

Old 09-29-2019, 07:07 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,407,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicWander View Post
Cali's random earthquakes kinda scare me away from living there lol
Earthquakes big enough to make any news and rare and happen once every one or two decades. Tornadoes make the news several times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California