Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nita - I am a Vietnam veteran in my 70’s. My oldest child is in her 50’s. And I “trust information” that can be and is corroborated by multiple credible sources ... as opposed to regurgitating anecdotal personal experiences such as how many Hispanics in your Arkansas neighborhood speak fluent English.

You want stories? I got ‘em! My mother learned to speak and write English in American 1st grade ... doesn’t mean squat what your neighbors or my mother did / do linguistically.

Or maybe you’d like to hear about my father’s mother’s first memory of her mother being carried frozen literally stiff dead on an old door out of the tent they lived in their first year in Minnesota after arriving in America before they set up farming in an immigrant community northwest of Minneapolis near the South and North Dakota borders?
Well ok, so you are a Nam vet. For that I will say, thank you for serving. My X fiance's brother was killed in NAM and my own brother was a vet. This has little to do with anything we are discussing other than your age I couldn't help but doubt your age when you stated making references to stories that were repeated by our families on life when and stories we can tell about the 40, 50 and 60s as well.

I will add one more comment and be done with this topic: my comment: no use discussing anything with you. You are always right, just like so many libs. We are all dumb and uninformed if we do not agree with you 100% all the time.. There are some people who can discuss and debate reasonably, other It is their way or the highway. End of my discussion on this particularly topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 11:16 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well ok, so you are a Nam vet. For that I will say, thank you for serving. My X fiance's brother was killed in NAM and my own brother was a vet. This has little to do with anything we are discussing other than your age I couldn't help but doubt your age when you stated making references to stories that were repeated by our families on life when and stories we can tell about the 40, 50 and 60s as well.

I will add one more comment and be done with this topic: my comment: no use discussing anything with you. You are always right, just like so many libs. We are all dumb and uninformed if we do not agree with you 100% all the time.. There are some people who can discuss and debate reasonably, other It is their way or the highway. End of my discussion on this particularly topic.
Well that’s fun of you to make more assumptions, nita.

Lib? Well, anytime I express support for anything liberals are associated with, yes, I am jumped on by folks such as yourself assigning me “liberal” membership. Never occurs to you that some people actually support issues on a case by case basis ... let alone based on science and logic such as I do. So, I’m a liberal because I don’t buy your nonsensical parroting of right-wing am radio talking points about immigrants?

Lol. Nita I am staunchly anti-immigration. Staunchly states rights. Adamantly anti-welfare. Adamantly against birthright citizenship, including for births to natural citizens. Do those conservative positions make me a conservative too?

No. I’m neither liberal or conservative. “Ideologies are bad excuses for lazy intellects.”

That’s why I’m always right. Science. Logic. Individual, independent analysis.

In closing let me add: you don’t “debate”. You anecdote your way through discussions.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:52 AM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well that’s fun of you to make more assumptions, nita.

Lib? Well, anytime I express support for anything liberals are associated with, yes, I am jumped on by folks such as yourself assigning me “liberal” membership. Never occurs to you that some people actually support issues on a case by case basis ... let alone based on science and logic such as I do. So, I’m a liberal because I don’t buy your nonsensical parroting of right-wing am radio talking points about immigrants?

Lol. Nita I am staunchly anti-immigration. Staunchly states rights. Adamantly anti-welfare. Adamantly against birthright citizenship, including for births to natural citizens. Do those conservative positions make me a conservative too?

No. I’m neither liberal or conservative. “Ideologies are bad excuses for lazy intellects.”

That’s why I’m always right. Science. Logic. Individual, independent analysis.

In closing let me add: you don’t “debate”. You anecdote your way through discussions.
I am the same way. My fiance always makes these little snide remarks about democrats, liberals, etc. I just ignore him. There is simply no debating with conservatives. They are a close minded bunch. Especially these bumpkins here in the South.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:14 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Combine this with the fact that Millennials aren't having many babies now, we are going to have a serious demographic problem in two more decades.
And why do you think that is???

From all the statistics, Millenials don't make enough to support a family. Having kids is expensive.

Millennials Are Now Putting Everyday Items, Like Shoes & Sweaters, On Payment Plans!!!

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-f...-payment-plans

Perhaps slowing population growth is NOT a bad thing.

Especially for those who say they are pro-environment and believe in "climate change"...

Old 10-08-2019, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,928 times
People want to make a career- not starting a family. Also there is easier access to contraception. IMO Dog>child

Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Too many folks, at the hands of despicable extremist right wing media outlets, are spoonfed a carefully crafted message of hate and divisiveness meant to incite the most fear and anger possible.
you don't get upset when / if people just barge in and break our laws? Steal SSNs. Commit all types of fraud. And nothing happens to them and they can escape punishment ?

But if you break a law you get punished for it?

Is that cool with you?

Not with me. It's total and complete bull

Old 10-08-2019, 09:57 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh Yes we certainly do need more immigrants to sustain our population into the future. Silicon Valley is proof that immigrants have the ability to lift the entire country. Also, aside from financial aid, social services, free K-12 education, and the blessing of all the opportunities already afforded to a person born in the United States, what do you mean we need to invest in the American people?
for every one super successful immigrant there are 99 mediocrities, like anything else in life, and with the new immigrants they are big on welfare and scamming the system

Old 10-12-2019, 02:46 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
And why do you think that is???

From all the statistics, Millenials don't make enough to support a family. Having kids is expensive.

Millennials Are Now Putting Everyday Items, Like Shoes & Sweaters, On Payment Plans!!!

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-f...-payment-plans

Perhaps slowing population growth is NOT a bad thing.

Especially for those who say they are pro-environment and believe in "climate change"...
The policies in CA make it almost impossible for the middle class and even upper middle class to start a family. There's a massive shortage of new housing caused by NIMBYism and mass immigration, prop taxes under prop 13 benefit wealthy seniors placing the burden on middle class people buying their first home, and with the shape of public schools due to busing parents have to spend a fortune on private schools with no state assistance.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:15 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
The policies in CA make it almost impossible for the middle class and even upper middle class to start a family. There's a massive shortage of new housing caused by NIMBYism and mass immigration, prop taxes under prop 13 benefit wealthy seniors placing the burden on middle class people buying their first home, and with the shape of public schools due to busing parents have to spend a fortune on private schools with no state assistance.
If it wasn't for my immediate family and relatives here, I would leave California in a heart beat to places where it isn't required to be a millionaire to own a decent house.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:49 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
This article shows that recent immigration to California has actually slowed down to a significant degree.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/10...h-data/599884/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California