Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times

Advertisements

OP, if your only concern is crime and homelessness, I'd say it's better than San Francisco, if that gives you a point of reference.

There area a lot of homeless, but I lived in a low income senior apartment building right in downtown Crescent City, where a lot of homeless hang out, and my truck was never broken into.

I'm now in Silicon Valley and live in a building with an underground parking garage and my truck was broken into here lol. And there are less homeless here and this is not considered a sketchy neighborhood.

So, on this question alone, I'd say don't let a fear of crime and homelessness keep you from moving to CC. Just keep your street smarts about you, and you'll be absolutely fine. Just do whatever you'd do in an urban environment - like, don't leave your keys in your vehicle, don't leave anything in your vehicle that someone can see through the window that they may want to steal, be aware of your surroundings at night - that kind of thing.

The people who live in CC are actually pretty friendly, once they see you're not homeless or someone who wants to criticize or take advantage of them, etc. They're cautious at first, but warm up pretty quickly.

The population has a large number of people who are very low income. You will run into clerks and retail staff everywhere who are missing their front teeth. Something you'd never encounter in the SF Bay Area. Employers here simply wouldn't hire someone missing their front teeth. But, in CC, you will see it often. It's a shocker at first. A clerk at the local Walgreens, for instance, coming up to you and asking you if you need anything with a big helpful smile - and no front teeth.

It teaches one to see past a person's exterior, which I think is a good thing.

So, don't let crime and homelessness keep you from moving there. If you don't mind the weather and the remoteness, it's an extremely beautiful and peaceful place to live. You can go to the beach sometimes and literally be the only person there. It's dog friendly. You can go into the giant redwoods, and once you find the secret places - for both the beaches and the woods, you can avoid the tourists even in the summer and be the only person there. You can't find that close to Eureka. But, you can easily find it around CC.

I stayed a year longer than I needed to, because of the upside to CC. But, I'm the kind of person who needs more amenities, so I'm happier here. I do wish I could just beam myself and my dog up there once in awhile, though, especially to my secret spot in the giant redwoods.

I really don't miss my dog finding something dead on the beach every dang time I took her there LOL.

Go and try it out. You may love it. It's cheap for sure. You can always move again, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Years ago, in the spring & summer, i used to visit my friend in Selma, OR. We used to go fishing quite often at Lake Selmac//Illinois River/ Applegate River/ Smith River. It was sunny & warm/hot. Not usually much wind. We had many good times in the area. Grocery shopping isn't far, in Grants Pass.
Roseburg, OR, is beautiful and pretty cheap, too... There are nice rural properties on the outskirts.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 PM

Someone mentioned healthcare - if all you need is basic care, you can find that in CC. I also had cataract surgery by a good surgeon right there in town. But, I knew people who needed dialysis who had to travel to Eureka, which is a nightmare. I'd rather drive to Redding, personally, because the roads are so much better on that route than 101 down to Eureka.

I also knew someone who had a heart attack, and she was flown to Grants Pass, I think. Then, her family and friends had to travel all the way there to see her. I have no idea if she got a huge bill for being flown somewhere.

But, it's isolated, as far as healthcare beyond what a small town clinic can handle. As far as basic care goes, it was decent in CC.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Also, you won't always have cell phone reception while traveling to the next big city, which is scary, in my opinion.

If you travel up there or move there, you really need Verizon. It's the only service that gives you decent reception. But, even then, you'll be without cell service between CC and Eureka or Grants Pass. And you'll be on isolated roads. If you break down, you have to hope the people who stop to help you are good guys. Mostly, I think they would be, but you never know. I was always nervous.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Ruth I know you considered these areas. Did you look into the sierra foothills at all? I did a lot of driving and was even up at lake county last year. It just felt depressing to me there. The foothills seemed a bit more vibrant and I liked the proximity to the Bay Area which I think you grew up and would enjoy visiting from time time, no?
Thanks for thinking of me. I confess, that I'm spooked about the Sierra foothills, because of the fire. We know which fire, we don't have to name it, right? But also, it does get hot there in the summers, and what about the reliability of the water supply in the future? Yes, I'm sure the foothills are more vibrant than Clear Lake. I would never consider Lake Co. for myself, due to the heat and lack of amenities. I only suggested it, because we've had people inquiring about it here over the years, and some posted that they were living there and liked it, and the RE is really cheap. I know it's not for everyone.
I must confess, we've recommended Placerville here so many times in the last few years, I kind of got intrigued by it, and I take your point about easy access to various medical care in or near Sac. Maybe I should check it out, too. Maybe the OP should, as well.

Well, I'm going to start by checking out Humboldt, possibly next spring, and we'll see how I feel after that visit. I may find myself back at Square One. Or I may have to move to somewhere outside Seattle, depending on a job possibility I'm going to scope out up there. I already have a toehold on a place in Santa Cruz, btw, where I spend several weeks/year, along with some time in Fremont.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
How’s the housing cost difference? I’d be looking to the foothills like where you are at well before those two places, even if homes are a bit more, I’d find something to sacrifice to move there. Crescent city is so remote and much of lake county just feels depressed.
You are 100% correct. If one really wants to live on the far North Coast, I would highly recommend McKininyville (not sure on SPj or Trinidad. Housing cost be dammed! Not worth it to live in a crap town! If you want to be a toothless person who rides a DUI bicycle Lake County is your spot. Yes it is very affordable.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
You are 100% correct. If one really wants to live on the far North Coast, I would highly recommend McKininyville (not sure on SPj or Trinidad. Housing cost be dammed! Not worth it to live in a crap town! If you want to be a toothless person who rides a DUI bicycle Lake County is your spot. Yes it is very affordable.
I totally get your point, but for some people, housing costs are the main problem. It's a really hard decision to move somewhere with affordable housing in a nice town with horrid weather and/or a culture or political environment that would be challenging, or have better weather and toothless retail clerks. It's no fun being poor. The choices suck.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 PM

527 posts, read 424,050 times
Cell booster for the car, SPOT roadside assistance and airlift insurance....
Right now, Verizon shows 101 as mostly covered all the way to OR. Probably will work almost everywhere along it with a booster.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The bolded are the main locations I'm looking at.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:20 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I totally get your point, but for some people, housing costs are the main problem. It's a really hard decision to move somewhere with affordable housing in a nice town with horrid weather and/or a culture or political environment that would be challenging, or have better weather and toothless retail clerks. It's no fun being poor. The choices suck.
I understand, being retired. You’ve done well by being smart. I could never afford to live in the Bay Area as you do. Not that I would want to.

But your example is a lesson to all. Be smart and you can live in a quality place. In our area senior apts are very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California