Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2022, 10:24 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If a patient is admitted for another reason and tests positive for covid, that generates the need for isolation and additional personnel to care for that patient, even if he has no symptoms. That costs more for the hospital to provide. It is only Medicare patients who get the additional 20% payments.

The hospital does not get more money if the patient dies. It gets paid only for care provided while the patient is alive.

The funeral home should not be getting more than it would for the same services for a non-covid death. The "free" money is for the benefit of the family of the deceased.
Isolation of covid patients ended a while ago in many places.

That cancer story was actually someone I knew; they caught Covid while being treated for cancer. Their symptoms were negligible from the Covid but the cancer was bad and they had chemo and surgery. Eventually they were discharged but according to them the overall care didn't change. 20% more for another Covid case?

Old 07-25-2022, 11:25 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Isolation of covid patients ended a while ago in many places.

That cancer story was actually someone I knew; they caught Covid while being treated for cancer. Their symptoms were negligible from the Covid but the cancer was bad and they had chemo and surgery. Eventually they were discharged but according to them the overall care didn't change. 20% more for another Covid case?
Failure to isolate someone with SARS-CoV-2 infection would be really bad infection control policy.

I can find no evidence that hospitals are not isolating covid patients. Here is the policy on discontinuing isolation for one major hospital system:

https://infectioncontrol.ucsfmedical..._Isolation.pdf

The person you know was high risk for progression to severe disease and for prolonged shedding of the virus, which increases the risk of developing a new variant with multiple mutations. The link has information on immunosuppressed patients.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:18 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Your thinking it was widespread does not mean it happened.

DH and I did not get any "Biden bucks."
You got zero covid relief money? If you didn't, you'd be the first I have heard of. You must be extremely wealthy.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:21 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I'm not going to get into whether or not there were nefarious plots to bilk the system (which wouldn't be shocking), but it's not entirely unbelievable that cases/deaths were unintentionally over-reported at one point, as they're now believed to be under-reported. Without going into the deep details, a long while back I related a story here of a family member who tested positive when only "official" testing offered by the county was available. It turned out to be a false positive too but the county wasn't bothering to correct those numbers from the aggregate at the time and I'll wager that's never changed. So what are the chances that happened to only one person that I happen to know? I've never won the lottery, so...

That incident alone has driven my doubts about the data being gathered in general, especially during the triage era immediately following the March 2020 shutdown. A good example of this was the global reporting which for a long time showed countries in the developing world doing an outstanding job of controlling spread and suppressing deaths. But we all know better (I hope) that those were simply a matter of undercounting everything, by way of just not counting anything.

tl;dr - Data is only as good as those collecting it.
You know it. GIGO. I would have been embarrassed to publish those numbers after the first six months. It was nothing but a train wreck. Someone getting into a wreck on a motorcycle and catching covid in the Hospital shouldn't qualify for death by covid but it was happening. Takes care of those funeral costs with that free money.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:31 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Sobering information for Los Angeles County residents.

L.A. County’s latest weekly COVID-19 death rate is more than 70% higher than the rate in the Bay Area.

The two regions’ death rates had been more close to each other through parts of June. But something changed in July, and there was a dramatic rise in L.A. County’s death rate not matched by that in the Bay Area.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-so-much-worse

Old 07-25-2022, 05:32 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Im sure some funeral homes got aboard the free money train.
I've read only about those who qualified for reimbursement of funeral expenses having a lot of hoops to jump through.

Few eligible families have sought federal payment of COVID funeral expenses:
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...covid-funerals

Old 07-25-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You got zero covid relief money? If you didn't, you'd be the first I have heard of. You must be extremely wealthy.
Comfortable, but not extremely wealthy.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Sobering information for Los Angeles County residents.

L.A. County’s latest weekly COVID-19 death rate is more than 70% higher than the rate in the Bay Area.

The two regions’ death rates had been more close to each other through parts of June. But something changed in July, and there was a dramatic rise in L.A. County’s death rate not matched by that in the Bay Area.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-so-much-worse
I was in Santa Cruz today in packed resturaunts and arcades and maybe <5% had masks on indoors. If it's lower than LA county its certainly not because everyone is being more "cautious" or wearing masks religiously. However, it's possible many "Bay Area residents" that "work in tech" are residing elsewhere most or all of the week due to illimitable work from home policies and being counted elsewhere when they show up at an urgent care clinic in Lake Tahoe looking for Paxlovid.

Old 07-25-2022, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Failure to isolate someone with SARS-CoV-2 infection would be really bad infection control policy.

I can find no evidence that hospitals are not isolating covid patients. Here is the policy on discontinuing isolation for one major hospital system:

https://infectioncontrol.ucsfmedical..._Isolation.pdf

The person you know was high risk for progression to severe disease and for prolonged shedding of the virus, which increases the risk of developing a new variant with multiple mutations. The link has information on immunosuppressed patients.

They moved the patient to another ward and continued the same treatment. They weren't in the ICU, merely recovering in a "covid positive" section of the hospital.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:

They moved the patient to another ward and continued the same treatment. They weren't in the ICU, merely recovering in a "covid positive" section of the hospital.
That means they were isolated from uninfected patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California