Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 08:56 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Maybe, but you definitely overreact. Maybe that's not your intent, but that's how you come across.

Everything you post is negative. You never post positive news and there is plenty of it. Every story you post is about some outlier. Joosoon is right to look at the statistics. Sure every death is a tragedy, but if we are to make rational decisions based in data, we need to look at the statistics and weigh the risk. That's how you do it with logic and facts. Leave emotion out of it. Unfortunately it seems that too many people are guided by emotion in this pandemic, and not truly the data as they claim.
Agreed. It's disturbing how many people don't bother to look at any of the statistics and put all of these negative media articles into context.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:13 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

And vaccinated people can carry and transmit as much virus as the non-vaccinated.
Thank you saying that. I've been hearing a lot of misinformation on this exact issue. Some are saying you can't transmit it if you're vaccinated and even Mr. Biden mistakenly stated last week that if you are vaccinated, you won't get Covid. I don't know if he's walked back that statement yet but when people in positions like that make claims that are wrong, it's hard to get followers to believe it.

The only good (if there is such a thing in all this) is that if you're vaccinated and you do contract the virus, your symptoms may not be life threatening and you probably won't be hospitalized.

Not a popular opinion but I think everyone should just keep their mask on, vaccinated or not. Keep yourself safe and keep others safe. Besides, there are pretty cool ones out there now. They're a fashion accessory.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Agreed. It's disturbing how many people don't bother to look at any of the statistics and put all of these negative media articles into context.

All the hand wringing over these rare breakthrough cases which end up amounting to nothing, is bizarre. I'd say it's harmless except for the fact that it's causing a ripple amongst the unvaccinated which is pushing people on the fence to the "why should I bother" side of things. People aren't going to see the benefit to this vaccine if the vaccine seemingly does nothing. And all the worry and attention over infinitesimally small cases where the vaccine has not worked perfectly, is only going to make matters worse. Since we're into anecdotes, just the other day one of my neighbors told me that exact reason was why they wouldn't get the vaccine and will never get it for their young kids. This isn't a "Trumper" or an "anti-vax Qanon'er" or all these other pejorative terms slapped on those who choose this route. This is a normal person.

The only thing fretting over breakthrough cases is doing is to undermine the sales pitch of the vaccine. That's why health agencies are now constantly stressing that the few cases that slip through are so rare and not a reason to think the vaccines have failed.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:39 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
At least one of the vaccine makers says its product begins to lose effectiveness in 4 months. Therefore, of course breakthrough cases are becoming not rare.

Also, deaths and hospitalizations are easily known. Harmfulness of other cases is harder to quantify, along with rates and severity of Long-COVID, but they as tangibly harmful are more common than deaths and hospitalizations. I distrust anyone who refuses to take that seriously.

Old 08-05-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
At least one of the vaccine makers says its product begins to lose effectiveness in 4 months. Therefore, of course breakthrough cases are becoming not rare.

Cite?
First I've heard of this. I'm pretty doubtful that a manufacturer is indicating in any way, shape or form that "breakthrough cases are becoming not rare".

Old 08-05-2021, 12:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Pfizer.
I might have mixed up 4 months and 6 months.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85066844.cms

Vaccine makers always said that breakthrough cases would happen and I doubt they ever called asymptomatic or mild cases thereof "rare." The surprise is that those cases might be contagious.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-05-2021 at 12:31 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 12:34 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG55 View Post
I usually use these forums to get recommendations for restaurants, etc, but thought I’d join and post.

The problem with the vaccine is that it’s been so politicized. When Trump was in office and word of the vaccine came out, many Democratic politicians immediately attacked it. Biden and Harris said they would be hesitant to take it. The videos are online. Cuomo and Newsom both said they wouldn’t allow it in their states. Newsom wanted to have a panel review it before he would accept it. The second Trump was out of office, that all changed. Then it was a big push to get it and everything was fine.

There’s also a lot of misinformation out there from the unvaccinated side. I have family members that were constantly sending me articles and videos about how bad the vaccine was, it’s population control, sterilization, etc. When you did your own research, it didn’t hold up.

Two of the big ones were that all animals used in trials died and that’s it’s still being tested. I was sent links, but did my own research. There was a trial of mRNA in which the vaccine did damage the lungs of mice. The researchers killed the mice for study. However, it wasn’t THIS vaccine, it was a completely different and the mice were killed by the researchers, not the vaccine.

The other one sent to me was that it was still being tested. I received a link to a study. Sure enough, the study goes through 2023. However, it’s a Kaiser study of the vaccine, not anything to do with the original development.

I did my research, talked to my doctor and got my first Pfizer shot in April. I just had a minor sore arm from both shots.

There’s a lot of animosity toward the unvaccinated and I get that. However, the threats and anger is just going to make them dig in.

The Texas and Florida governors have said they recommended the vaccine but left it up to the people. In my opinion, the best way to get more people on board is to have something like a joint statement or conference, let’s say the governors of California, Texas, Florida and New York. If they say it was politicized and shouldn’t have been, we were wrong to do that, but we all agree the vaccine helps, I think it would go a long way to get this back on track. Of course that will never happen.

Just my 2 cents.
You might want to check up on some of those things, such as the vaccine still being tested. That is NOT just a Kaiser thing. It literally is still going theough testing by pfizer, moderna, etc.

Pfizer: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...&draw=2&rank=1

Moderna: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...&draw=2&rank=1

Also you cant really refute this:

People have a right to be skeptical and the people you know that feel this way are more correct and intune with what's going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus-1627561981430.jpg  

Old 08-05-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Pfizer.
I might have mixed up 4 months and 6 months.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85066844.cms

A cumulative 9% drop in efficacy over six months doesn't sound worrisome. We were warned from the beginning there might be a need for boosters.

eta: helpful link

Quote:
Vaccine makers always said that breakthrough cases would happen and I doubt they ever called asymptomatic or mild cases thereof "rare." The surprise is that those cases might be contagious.
You said it was indicative that "Therefore, of course breakthrough cases are becoming not rare." Nobody, especially big pharma, are saying that or even implying that. Vaccine makers didn't have to say that breakthrough cases were possible, it's written right into the efficacy numbers, none of which were ever 100%. CDC said from the get go too that the vaccinated could spread the virus still. None of this is revelatory. If it's true that the Moderna version has a better long term track record than their rivals, then I suspect that will become a marketing angle (which is how that entire article reads).

Last edited by joosoon; 08-05-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 01:30 PM

118 posts, read 66,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It’s not “opinion” … she is a prolific poster, with a considerable percentage of upbeat posts. That you can find ‘bird-of-a-feather’ “other posters” who feel as you do means zip to the searchable reality. Trump is a mental case … yet there are millions who agree with him.
Sure it’s an opinion. Yours. You’re entitled to it and I disagree. Just like you used Trump as an example, same applies to you. Just because you think she’s a positive poster doesn’t make it so.

We have differing opinions. Move on.

Old 08-05-2021, 02:45 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9988 View Post
Sure it’s an opinion. Yours. You’re entitled to it and I disagree. Just like you used Trump as an example, same applies to you. Just because you think she’s a positive poster doesn’t make it so.

We have differing opinions. Move on.
“Move on?” Says the poster who has been ragging on the one other over and over and over and over again. Lmfao. You move on. That’s the point. No, it’s not opinion. I didn’t call her a “positive poster.” I said, correctly, that CA4Now is an excellent contributor with many positive postings along with all sorts of other interesting links and material … yes, including negative reports to consider along with all others. Postings are searchable. Archived. Review of her posts would prove my position. You are the “new poster” attacking long standing members with excellent records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California