Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 08:14 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...edgdhp&pc=U531

"In the Los Angeles area, the average office population was 26.5% as the year began."

Then probably most parents in one of the most populous areas can watch their kids while they are learning remotely or do the teaching themselves.

Meanwhile, many of the students going to campus are anxious, with some walking out, and teachers are a mix of anxious regulars and fill-ins with limited experience. That makes for great learning and social bonding: rolleyes:
Moderator cut: personal

Are you sure you don't want to move back to Earth where our kids are going to school with their regular teacher, not even a single child in their class is out sick, (the last one out just came back after a bout with the flu) and life carries on as if people were vaccinated and understood that Omicron poses a negligible threat to their health,

because they are and it does, here on the home planet.

Our school received a few hundred home-test kits. 8 were taken home. Part of that may be because the principle treated it as an afterthought and didn't tell parents about the kits until mid-morning of the day of their arrival. But it's not like there was a rush for kits after that, either.

Weirdly, the charter school in town is very religious (haha) about testing. But they also shut down for the entirety of the 2020-2021, while the public school reopened in the winter of 2020 and stayed open through the huge (and deadly) wave just as vaxxes were coming out. Different strokes.

Staying open in January 2021 was pretty gutsy, but they were following the science that young children didn't transmit Alpha-through-Delta, and it turned out to be true, as--you'll recall, prior to the vax becoming available--every study showed that the rate of COVID transmission in schools was lower than that in the surrounding community. There were no outbreaks in our school system, just isolated cases picked up in the community.

That probably doesn't hold as true for Omicron since the % of children vaxxed is much lower than the general population, but it hardly matters as long as the adults around them are vaxxed. As the FDA and Fauci said, we're all getting exposed no matter what we do, so there's no point in disrupting daily routines. Just mask to reduce your initial inhaled viral load and vax to make sure you don't get very sick.

Last edited by Count David; 01-13-2022 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 08:41 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Are you sure you don't want to move back to Earth where our kids are going to school with their regular teacher, not even a single child in their class is out sick, (the last one out just came back after a bout with the flu) and life carries on as if people were vaccinated and understood that Omicron poses a negligible threat to their health
That's great, I'm happy for you but in my Grandson's class 13 of the 29 kids are out of school, either sick with presumed covid, sick with diagnosed covid or in quarantine post-covid. Here is the district's covid dashboard
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...JiOCIsImMiOjZ9

Old 01-13-2022, 08:53 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Don't you think some of what you post about LA belongs in the LA section?
Agreed. And there are three threads there on this topic.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:16 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Are you sure you don't want to move back to Earth where our kids are going to school with their regular teacher, not even a single child in their class is out sick, (the last one out just came back after a bout with the flu) and life carries on as if people were vaccinated and understood that Omicron poses a negligible threat to their health,

because they are and it does, here on the home planet.

Our school received a few hundred home-test kits. 8 were taken home. Part of that may be because the principle treated it as an afterthought and didn't tell parents about the kits until mid-morning of the day of their arrival. But it's not like there was a rush for kits after that, either.

Weirdly, the charter school in town is very religious (haha) about testing. But they also shut down for the entirety of the 2020-2021, while the public school reopened in the winter of 2020 and stayed open through the huge (and deadly) wave just as vaxxes were coming out. Different strokes.

Staying open in January 2021 was pretty gutsy, but they were following the science that young children didn't transmit Alpha-through-Delta, and it turned out to be true, as--you'll recall, prior to the vax becoming available--every study showed that the rate of COVID transmission in schools was lower than that in the surrounding community. There were no outbreaks in our school system, just isolated cases picked up in the community.

That probably doesn't hold as true for Omicron since the % of children vaxxed is much lower than the general population, but it hardly matters as long as the adults around them are vaxxed. As the FDA and Fauci said, we're all getting exposed no matter what we do, so there's no point in disrupting daily routines. Just mask to reduce your initial inhaled viral load and vax to make sure you don't get very sick.
That involves multiple fantasies, including short-term harmlessness of Omicron to the typical person who gets it, no Long-Covid from it (when society would be lucky if less than 5% of cases result in it and be very badly affected by, say, a number over 10%), and vaccines being highly effective in all who get them (there are millions for whom that is not true).

I say residents, and especially leaders, who shrug off testing when an Omicron outbreak has genuinely hardly begun in their community are fools, and the comeuppance is natural shutdown/slowdown instead of avoiding that by early detection.

Last edited by Count David; 01-13-2022 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 09:51 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Here is some hard data out of California. This is a large comparison from sequenced Covid cases between Omicron and Delta. The results are pretty clear cut. The link to the study is at the bottom.

Clinical Outcomes Among Patients Infected With Omicron

Omicron
Sample Size of Verified Omicron: 52,297
Number of people who went to ER with verified Omicron: 235
Number of people actually admitted to Hospital: 88
Average Length of Hospital Stay: 3.4 days
Admitted to ICU: 7
Ventilated: 0
Deaths: 1

Delta
Sample Size of Verified Delta: 16,982
Number of people who went to ER with verified Delta: 222
Number of people actually admitted to Hospital: 189
Average Length of Stay: 6.2 days
Admitted to ICU: 23
Ventilated: 11
Deaths: 14

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...045v1.full.pdf

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-13-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 01-13-2022, 11:31 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's great, I'm happy for you but in my Grandson's class 13 of the 29 kids are out of school, either sick with presumed covid, sick with diagnosed covid or in quarantine post-covid. Here is the district's covid dashboard
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrI...JiOCIsImMiOjZ9
How is that even possible? "Student Cases" aren't over 100 in any of the schools listed except for highschools, which I assume are around 1000 students. Unless your grandchildren are in a tiny school (like less than 100 students) with nearly all the cases in their class alone, there's no way their class is 44% covid-positive. The whole San Juan Unified school system only shows 5% (2500 of 50,000) "current student positive cases".

Is your school system still quarantining students after an exposure or something? That's the only way I can see a overall positivity rate of 5% knocking 44% of kids out of the classroom.

Edit: Okay, I guess that 44% could all be symptomatic and having to stay home, but not testing for COVID. That would make sense.

Our school switched to the CDC's recommendation that exposed students go ahead and attend class so long as they don't develop symptoms. There is no testing requirement at all, though it is "recommended" 5 days after an exposure.

They are also allowed to return to class 5 days after symptoms onset, with the usual pre-covid benchmarks (resolving symptoms, 24 hours fever-free). COVID testing is not required for those who have been sick but are vaccinated, but it is required for unvaxxed kids (or they have to do a 10-day post-symptom quarantine).

Again, it's different strokes, but I'm very happy with out school's aggressive push to keep kids in class. There was no negative fallout from the big scary winter wave, Delta, and their school is one of the least-disrupted social institutions by the less-virulent but more-widespread Omicron wave.

Are you and your children happy with the level of precautions implemented by their school district? Anyway, I'm bummed for their classmates who are out, but are they still in school? Maybe the temporary smaller class size is a positive for them, so they can get some extra instructor attention?

Old 01-13-2022, 12:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
How is that even possible? "Student Cases" aren't over 100 in any of the schools listed except for highschools, which I assume are around 1000 students. Unless your grandchildren are in a tiny school (like less than 100 students) with nearly all the cases in their class alone, there's no way their class is 44% covid-positive. The whole San Juan Unified school system only shows 5% (2500 of 50,000) "current student positive cases".

Is your school system still quarantining students after an exposure or something? That's the only way I can see a overall positivity rate of 5% knocking 44% of kids out of the classroom.

Edit: Okay, I guess that 44% could all be symptomatic and having to stay home, but not testing for COVID. That would make sense.

Our school switched to the CDC's recommendation that exposed students go ahead and attend class so long as they don't develop symptoms. There is no testing requirement at all, though it is "recommended" 5 days after an exposure.

They are also allowed to return to class 5 days after symptoms onset, with the usual pre-covid benchmarks (resolving symptoms, 24 hours fever-free). COVID testing is not required for those who have been sick but are vaccinated, but it is required for unvaxxed kids (or they have to do a 10-day post-symptom quarantine).

Again, it's different strokes, but I'm very happy with out school's aggressive push to keep kids in class. There was no negative fallout from the big scary winter wave, Delta, and their school is one of the least-disrupted social institutions by the less-virulent but more-widespread Omicron wave.

Are you and your children happy with the level of precautions implemented by their school district? Anyway, I'm bummed for their classmates who are out, but are they still in school? Maybe the temporary smaller class size is a positive for them, so they can get some extra instructor attention?
You lost me, there are 29 kids in my grandson's class. 13 are not in school (including my grandson). The teacher said that some kids are quarantined, some are home ill after a positive test, and the remainder are symptomatic but either not tested, or tested negative but too ill to return to school. I don't think that you can extrapolate the number of absences in one class to the entire school, even with seasonal colds contagion is frequently limited to a few classrooms, so you can't say that since there are 10 kids in one class who are ill there are 10 in every other class.

But why are you challenging me about this? I have no reason to lie about it. And I'm not going to get into a discussion with you over how I feel about the regulations of his school, that's pointless and sounds like it would devolve into a tedious and boring argument.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:01 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
As I think about this thread, I realize that there are two very different things that overlap:

1) What is the reality about the current state of the virus/hospitals/etc.
2) What should be done about it.

For number 2, we all have different answers and there is no way to know who is right.

But there shouldnt be much disagreement about number 1 as long as were looking at scientific studies and data.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Why the challenge? Because he's in denial. His is blatant. Some people's is more subtle. Even some on this thread who are cordial to me are in denial. Most of the population is. My predictions that I sort of brag about aren't brilliance; some of it is simply depressive realism. I tend to think that way (e.g., I think "it gets better" is an extremely stupid cliche). In summer and fall 2020, when people were illicitly partying (including the since-banished creator of this thread) and a generally upbeat ENT told me the virus would be a problem for years, I realized that likely would be the case in LA at least. Wake up people, please. Acceptance is the path to solutions.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-13-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 01:39 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
More micromanaging from the state w that will make no difference. CA will still have case rates worse than states with no mask mandate.
CA's case rates are #44 out of 50 states, if you take into account the entire COVID period. Not sure where you're getting that COVID precautions don't make any difference, but that's incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California