Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 12:55 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times

Advertisements

That would be a strange way to lose some troublesome participants. I'd shrug it off like they shrug off the pandemic.

Just to cut off more misinformation, Bob Saget had COVID-19 shortly before he died. The investigation will take a while to determine if that was involved in his death.

I assume that a few people have died directly or indirectly from Omicron and that many more have had lasting, serious complications (many or most who go to the ICU are not functioning at their previous level for a long time if ever). So, no, not a common cold and people still need to be careful for their own health's sake.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:03 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Days ago in this thread I posted a link to research showing Delta is worse in health consequences than Alpha, not that many people dispute that. .
That actually isnt true. Alpha caused far more deaths per case than Delta. Delta did cause a lot more deaths overall but that was because it infected a lot more people. Below are some links from data from the UK since they did the best job sequencing it.

We can see in the first link that the biggest tidal wave of deaths in the UK occurred between January and March of 2021.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

We can see in the second link that Alpha was the dominant variant in that time period.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/c...a?country=~GBR

We can see in the third link that the same was true from hospitalizations.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/u...vid-admissions

The conclusion is pretty clear that Alpha was more severe than Delta at least in the UK.

In fact Alpha was the only variant to show an increase in severity of the variants to Omicron:

https://abc7chicago.com/covid-varian...ants/10996045/

Youre right that Delta caused more death overall, but Alpha had the worst consequences for the recipient. Crazy as it sounds, Delta was to Alpha what Omicron is to Delta: less severe and much more transmissible.

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-11-2022 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 01:13 PM

I should not have to post this again, and people (none of whom likely have had Delta or another variant) should not be arguing with hope and a little data against research. Delta is more harmful to individuals.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...les-death-risk
Also, stop trying to editorialize things from research that the research doesn't say. It's been almost 2 years of various bad behaviors in here, more from most others than me.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I should not have to post this again, and people (none of whom likely have had Delta or another variant) should not be arguing with hope and a little data against research. Delta is more harmful to individuals.
https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/cli...les-death-risk
Also, stop trying to editorialize things from research that the research doesn't say. It's been almost 2 years of various bad behaviors in here, more from most others than me.
Well, its certainly wasnt the case in the UK. The data is very clear on that.

What I posted is real world data, not a study. I doubt you clicked on the links.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:01 PM

I clicked on the ABC link soon after you posted it. Raw numbers aren't important or interesting to me, especially when they aren't even for this country. Now that I've glanced at them, I'm skeptical that they support your claims about Alpha, and everyone should be skeptical of what you post because you misrepresent what links contain. You've constructed a near future where COVID-19 evolves into basically a nuisance, despite little evidence that viruses ever work that way. (The only evidence is that they sometimes do over much longer time spans.) It's like the new version of herd-immunity-will-save-us. And you do that because you're unwilling to make sensible lifestyle adjustments. Are you proud of that?

Old 01-11-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I clicked on the ABC link soon after you posted it. Raw numbers aren't important or interesting to me, especially when they aren't even for this country. Now that I've glanced at them, I'm skeptical that they support your claims about Alpha, and everyone should be skeptical of what you post because you misrepresent what links contain. You've constructed a near future where COVID-19 evolves into basically a nuisance, despite little evidence that viruses ever work that way. (The only evidence is that they sometimes do over much longer time spans.) And you do that because you're unwilling to make sensible lifestyle adjustments. Are you proud of that?
Did you actually look at the data in the links I posted or not?

Old 01-11-2022, 02:15 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
@goodheathen, you can relax and breathe now. Delta is over, there's a new kid in town ... Omnicron. And soon we'll be moving to the next one. Stay tuned

Old 01-11-2022, 02:16 PM

I said I glanced them. Studying them for a long time won't change anything as far as I can tell. At most, they suggest an Alpha-worst correlation in a country that we don't live in.

You can keep up your harmful campaign, and I'll keep calling you out on it. Maybe in a year when things aren't much different (for example, both Delta and Omicron possibly still around) and/or you've seen some terrible health consequences of COVID-19 up close, you'll realize the reality and that living like it's 2019 no longer makes sense. Let's see if - far more importantly - some politicians start talking about how for probably years life isn't going back to that and the public needs to adjust. Maybe a retired politician?

Old 01-11-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I said I glanced them. Studying them for a long time won't change anything as far as I can tell. At most, they suggest an Alpha-worst correlation in a country that we don't live in.

You can keep up your harmful campaign, and I'll keep calling you out on it. Maybe in a year when things aren't much different (for example, both Delta and Omicron possibly still around) and/or you've seen some terrible health consequences of COVID-19 up close, you'll realize the reality and that living like it's 2019 no longer makes sense.
They prove that, in the UK, Alpha was worse than Delta, period. End of story.

My "harmful campaign"? Thats pretty funny. I had Covid in December 2020 and was sick for about 4 days. I couldnt taste or smell for a month and had bad headaches for about that duration. Im double vaxxed and boosted. If advised, Ill get another booster. I also wear masks in a lot of circumstances. And yes, I also have friends who have been in hospital with Covid before the vaccine and know people who have died. But we have a vaccine that protects from those outcomes so no I dont believe in restrictions. If a person doesnt want to get vaxxed thats on them. The immunocompromised are the only ones I feel for.

If I, after all that, am an enemy running a "harmful campaign", you are either the most dramatic person on earth or you lack any sort of perspective.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:59 PM

In the video below, Dr. Scott Gotlieb said that a hospital surveyed people in overnight care by sequencing their infection and 30% was Delta. That is quite interesting to me. Dr. Gotlieb did not specify where in the Northeast, but according to the link below, Omicron is 98% of cases:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...nt-proportions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0srUFhJR7hM

Then if we take into consideration that up to 40% of case discoveries are incidental (as per Rochelle Wollensky), it definitely begs a lot of questions. For example, how many people are solely in the hospital with Omicron? What percentage of those are vaccinated? It looks like the surveys show that between 60-75% of the people in hospitals are unvaccinated, but what percentage of incidental cases do they make up? If were even dealing with 20% incidental findings thats huge (and its likely a lot more).

We can see that the US hospitalizations will be higher than Europe because we have a ridiculously large obese and diabetic population relative to them, but I feel data is not being tracked sufficiently.

https://www.cbs58.com/news/covid-19-...hhs-data-shows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California