Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2022, 09:23 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Well, I actually had to wait in line for a couple hours for international travel a few weeks back. I can tell you that everyone was wearing masks properly, was spaced apart 6 feet and we were outdoors. I was wearing a KN95 mask, so felt pretty safe. But, I can only speak for the line that I was in.
And there ya go. This isn't what I see when I drive by those lines. Some have them hanging below their nose. smh Keep doing it right and you just might make it through.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:29 PM

4,322 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
And there ya go. This isn't what I see when I drive by those lines. Some have them hanging below their nose. smh Keep doing it right and you just might make it through.
Yep. You can't fix stupidity, as witnessed on this board or elsewhere. All you can do is try to protect yourself and others around you, as some other folks don't have the same basic human decency or common sense.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I could care less how you "look" on a message board. You completely ignored the points I had about restrictions NOT WORKING and the data backing that up. All you would be doing is creating economic ruin.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

You are living in an alternate reality. No, none of the stuff youre talking about is going to happen EVER on a national level. Legal enforcement of quarantine???? That is authoritarian to the max. So if you want to not be authoritarian you should stop making suggestions that are precisely that. What's next, the military patrolling the streets and forcing people into their own homes?

Lifestyle is not for you to determine. You don't make decisions that impact anyone. Im recovered from Covid and boosted. You, and others like you, will have no say over how I live my life just as I wont tell you how to live.

LIVE IN THE WORLD THAT IS and not the one in your mind. Americans have NO tolerance for strict measures this far into the pandemic, period. Enacting them is political suicide. The Federal Government has made it crystal clear no new measuring that require lockdowns or business closures. You can clutch your pearls and be horrified, but thats just the way things go.
Where did I say national level? Travel restrictions, yes, but other than that.... This is the California forum. I didn't even say statewide. But in COVID-friendly places like Los Angeles....

That's a new, more targeted and thorough sense of restrictions. I think it would work. In Los Angeles, it could happen at any time - Garcetti has nothing to lose and probably so for his fill-in and much of it could be done in small steps by the city council, boiling muh-freedom like a living crab. (Notice most local restrictions added during Omicron haven't been publicized? You think that's a coincidence?) But I don't think there are 'enough' deaths this season yet.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What a loaded phrase. "The experts" are a very diverse group of people that have a wide range of opinions. I can assure you people like Dr. Monica Ghandi, Dr. Ashish Jha, and Dr. John Campbell, who definitely fall into the category of "the experts" dont agree with you at all. Some "experts" like Dr. Eric Feigl Ding share your alarmism and views. Who is right and who is wrong? Neither of us are qualified to answer.

Youre completely missing cross reactive immunity. If it wasnt for this, the Russian Flu of the 1890's (which was a Coronavirus) would still be killing thousands every single year. Instead, its a common cold. Even though the virus mutates, it does NOT start at square one upon re-infection. Rather, a person who becomes re-infected deals with it fine and the symptoms become less and less severe each time.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...responses.aspx

This is why we see that infection from Omicron produces antibodies against earlier variants.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/28/covi...-it-study.html

So yes of course there are going to be further variants, but life isnt going to stop and it isnt going to fill up hospitals. Hell, in order for future variants to stick around they would have to outcompete Omicron which is very unlikely given how contagious it is. And the more and more people pass around the same base virus, even with mutations, the better able people are to fight it off. That has been true for EVERY single coronavirus in history that has stuck around long enough to make several runs through the population.
Nice mix of facts and assertions, I'm too clever to subscribe to the whole thing.

First of all, once again that Russian flu became something that still occasionally kills. Are you ready to admit that yet?

"Rather, a person who becomes re-infected deals with it fine and the symptoms become less and less severe each time"

In general. Far from the implication of almost always and your assertion isn't based on any source you shared.

People thought COVID-19 couldn't get much more contagious than Delta. They, including me, were wrong. There probably isn't any more room for that leap, but there could be a different, surprising leap. Never bet against that virus.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:22 AM

Okay, after looking at the other thread, I figured it out. In high-spread areas, and probably following temporary closure, only indoor dining with a maître d' and table service (with only small, distanced tables and of course reduced capacity) for the foreseeable future. Which would lead, as desired, to most restaurants not doing indoor dining anymore, but enough would that the public would have some options and not be furious and also few enough for them to be heavily policed and contact-traced and fewer restaurants that would need to be propped up with government money. Actually, I'd apply it to bars also, which would force nearly all of them to shut, which would be a good thing for society even if there were no pandemic. Faux-freedom to deal with muh-freedom. Dastardly If Los Angeles for example did that, its appeal as a tourist or day-trip spot would plummet, which would keep out many virus-carrying hedonists.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-10-2022 at 12:47 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
I occasionally check out this long running thread - from my non-nanny-state across the country. We are a blue state with a governor who would love to be a dictator (and was one for a while) but we have checks and balances and his emergency power authority was taken away by the voters a while back.

Bottom line is that economic shutdowns and mask wearing to slow the spread of covid have not worked, and you people would be wise to just let covid take its course. Most people are going to be fine, but if you are older and don't feel safe - then by all means social distance yourself.

Your governor and your politicians haven't done anything worthwhile that I can see, other than make every day people's lives more difficult.

JMO

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 01-10-2022 at 05:40 AM..

Old 01-10-2022, 06:54 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I occasionally check out this long running thread - from my non-nanny-state across the country. We are a blue state with a governor who would love to be a dictator (and was one for a while) but we have checks and balances and his emergency power authority was taken away by the voters a while back.

Bottom line is that economic shutdowns and mask wearing to slow the spread of covid have not worked, and you people would be wise to just let covid take its course. Most people are going to be fine, but if you are older and don't feel safe - then by all means social distance yourself.

Your governor and your politicians haven't done anything worthwhile that I can see, other than make every day people's lives more difficult.

JMO
Thanks for checking in to enlighten us. No one here has ever even thought of those things. Amazing what revelations come from 3000 miles away! Don’t know what we’d have done without you Geek. We might have just totally gone along with the programs assigned … and of course then gone belly-up.

Will get on with the revolution forthwith!

Old 01-10-2022, 06:54 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
First of all, once again that Russian flu became something that still occasionally kills.
As does the regular flu. The number of fatalities is down for the 2020-21 flu season, probably as a result of mask wearing.

https://www.health.com/condition/flu...flu-every-year

Old 01-10-2022, 07:29 AM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Nice mix of facts and assertions, I'm too clever to subscribe to the whole thing.

First of all, once again that Russian flu became something that still occasionally kills. Are you ready to admit that yet?

"Rather, a person who becomes re-infected deals with it fine and the symptoms become less and less severe each time"

In general. Far from the implication of almost always and your assertion isn't based on any source you shared.

People thought COVID-19 couldn't get much more contagious than Delta. They, including me, were wrong. There probably isn't any more room for that leap, but there could be a different, surprising leap. Never bet against that virus.
I have absolutely shared sources with you over and over. You ignore them because its not what you want to believe. Perhaps youre not clever enough to read them.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2108120

There is one on Covid itself.

As has been said, yes it is true that herd immunity will not be a thing with Covid. BUT, reinfections almost always get less and less severe. This has been studied over and over again.

https://www.ft.com/content/1ae36643-...c-3fdbc32f2324

"...become an endemic virus reinfecting people periodically for the indefinite future, as it mutates and the immune protection slowly weakens with time — like other respiratory pathogens including the four other human coronaviruses that cause mild colds and sniffles. Reinfection would only cause serious illness in a very few people.

“There is good reason to believe that the virus will reinfect us every couple of years or so but our immune system, particularly T-cells, will still provide good protection against severe disease,” said Bangham."

Viruses that kill will always be with us, but we dont shut everything down nor do we obsessively watch media to see what the case counts are each hour. We arent there with Covid yet, but theres every reason to believe we will be.

Does the Russian Flu still kill people? Youll have to show me a source where how many death occur because of it. It causes common colds, albeit more severe colds. The source below says it can cause pneumonia in the elderly but nothing beyond that:

https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-in...d-19-here-stay

Old 01-10-2022, 07:45 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Thanks for checking in to enlighten us. No one here has ever even thought of those things. Amazing what revelations come from 3000 miles away! Don’t know what we’d have done without you Geek. We might have just totally gone along with the programs assigned … and of course then gone belly-up.

Will get on with the revolution forthwith!

Thought maybe you would want a non resident's opinion. If not, oh well. You got one.
right back at you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California