Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 10:36 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Thank you! I wish my husband had gotten vaccinated...believe me, I tried, but he was not interested, and rather than turn into a nag I just let it go. I admit I was a little worried when he first got symptoms, but fortunately they did not progress to anything much.
I understand and he's very lucky it didn't get any worse. And they say women are headstrong. Men can be just as stubborn, if not more so.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:42 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Back in April 2020, the strain (Alpha) WAS much more severe than the current strain of Omnicron, so when I questioned if this was nothing more than another form of Rhinovirus, it was the Omnicron strain I was referring to. This latest strain seem much more like a "cold" than anything more but I haven't been able to find the science of why it's less severe. What I mean is, what's missing in this strain that was there previously. I'd like to think with each new wave of the virus, it will continue to decrease in severity. Comparing today's virus with what we had in 2020, it seems like that's the way it's heading. All I can do is wait and watch.
Although true at the end of the day it was still a coronavirus. It still had a 99.7% survival rate for those under the age of 65. We are not going to out-vaccinate a coronavirus.

It's less severe because that's what viruses do, mutate to become less deadly (so they can survive longer), but become more infectious. Super deadly virus strains don't ever last long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The surveys on that are not good. However, as I estimate at least 90% of adult vaccine recipients have had more than one dose, it hardly matters.

I disagree with nearly everything you said before that. You are pushing misinformation. COVID-19 is not the common cold, and if your implication is that vaccines are unsafe and not worthwhile for many people, that is simply untrue.
It's not misinformation just because you didn't know. Basic points from my post that you claim as misinformation:

1. The common cold can be either a rhinovirus or coronavirus: this is true
  2. People spreading this common fact were censored: this is true
  3. Masks serve as a reminder the plandemic is ongoing: this is true

If you can refute anything I just said, specifically the first two, please do so. Otherwise declaring it misinformation doesn't mean it is: https://www.yalemedicine.org/conditions/coronavirus

Quote:
People following the news about SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, might think coronaviruses are a new disease. In fact, doctors first identified coronaviruses in the 1960s, and there are now seven known coronaviruses that vary in severity. All coronaviruses have the potential to cause respiratory illness—for some that could be as simple as the common cold...

Old 01-11-2022, 10:59 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Although true at the end of the day it was still a coronavirus. It still had a 99.7% survival rate for those under the age of 65. We are not going to out-vaccinate a coronavirus.

It's less severe because that's what viruses do, mutate to become less deadly (so they can survive longer), but become more infectious. Super deadly virus strains don't ever last long.

It's not misinformation just because you didn't know. Basic points from my post that you claim as misinformation:

1. The common cold can be either a rhinovirus or coronavirus: this is true
  2. People spreading this common fact were censored: this is true
  3. Masks serve as a reminder the plandemic is ongoing: this is true

If you can refute anything I just said, specifically the first two, please do so. Otherwise declaring it misinformation doesn't mean it is: https://www.yalemedicine.org/conditions/coronavirus
You know you were implying that COVID-19 is or soon will be a harmless common cold.

Then you called it a "plandemic."

Please get out of here.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
You know you were implying that COVID-19 is or soon will be a harmless common cold.

Then you called it a "plandemic."

Please get out of here.
I'm not implying it. This is literally what has happened going from the alpha strain to the delta to the omicron (and all in between). Each version of "covid-19" becoming less deadly but more infectious, a natural occurrence for viruses.

Yes it was a plandemic. Don't you like how those "stay 6 feet apart" signs were everywhere so quickly, among several other things? You probably don't think about things like that and just go with the flow.

The only thing that needs to get out of here is your apparent aura of superiority, which is very strange considering how many times you've moved the goalposts the last 18+ months.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Back in April 2020, the strain (Alpha) WAS much more severe than the current strain of Omnicron, so when I questioned if this was nothing more than another form of Rhinovirus, it was the Omnicron strain I was referring to. This latest strain seem much more like a "cold" than anything more but I haven't been able to find the science of why it's less severe. What I mean is, what's missing in this strain that was there previously. I'd like to think with each new wave of the virus, it will continue to decrease in severity. Comparing today's virus with what we had in 2020, it seems like that's the way it's heading. All I can do is wait and watch.
It does look much closer to a cold or "light flu" than previous 'popular' variants. One article I read seemed to say it shares more genes with the common cold. The belief is that it's not as good at establishing itself beyond the upper respiratory tract. However, that says very little about how the virus will evolve. "Hope" is not what stops a pandemic. The Chinese now think Omicron might have come from COVID-19 jumping to mice and back into humans. If so, it's realistic the virus could recombine via another animal into something much worse, as that process often causes. That said, if you want trustworthy science on the virus, use Google and scientific publications. Little of anything posted on this forum should be taken at face value.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'm not implying it. This is literally what has happened going from the alpha strain to the delta to the omicron (and all in between). Each version of "covid-19" becoming less deadly but more infectious, a natural occurrence for viruses.
Except that's false. Days ago in this thread I posted a link to research showing Delta is worse in health consequences than Alpha, not that many people dispute that. It also probably has caused more deaths worldwide, even with healthcare workers knowing how to better handle ICU patients and the much-reduced risk of getting to that stage in most vaccinated individuals. The reality is nobody can make a good bet on how dangerous COVID-19 will be later this year, for example. Great, it very likely will be mild in 30 years. I don't feel like waiting until then.

Your "plandemic" talk does not belong here, and few people will want you here if you insist on it.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Except that's false. Days ago in this thread I posted a link to research showing Delta is worse in health consequences than Alpha, not that many people dispute that. It also probably has caused more deaths worldwide, even with healthcare workers knowing how to better handle ICU patients and the much-reduced risk of getting to that stage in most vaccinated individuals. The reality is nobody can make a good bet on how dangerous COVID-19 will be later this year, for example. Great, it very likely will be mild in 30 years. I don't feel like waiting until then.
The reality is, each new strain has become less deadly but more infectious. You making up some strain in the future doesn't matter because that likely won't happen AND the evidence we have now does not support it.

Quote:
Your "plandemic" talk does not belong here, and few people will want you here if you insist on it.
Lmao settle down.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:47 AM

Mr. anti-Vaxxer, you want to volunteer to be injected with the variants and find out firsthand which your body handles worse? (Although in practice people who have gotten Delta after Alpha without vaccination typically have had it milder (um, but not very mild), evidently from T-cell protection.)

I like speculation, but facts are facts and shouldn't be argued with.

As for speculation, I expect much of the ongoing improvement in reduction of deaths and probably other disastrous health consequences to continue thanks to advancements in treatments and maybe someday vaccines, not due to automatic weakening of the virus and that COVID-19 probably won't mutate dangerously enough to compensate for that

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-11-2022 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 12:08 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
Quote:
Mr. anti-Vaxxer, you want to volunteer to be injected with the variants and find out firsthand which your body handles worse? (Although in practice people who have gotten Delta after Alpha without vaccination typically have had it milder (um, but not very mild), evidently from T-cell protection.)

I like speculation, but facts are facts and shouldn't be argued with.

As for speculation, I expect much of the ongoing improvement in reduction of deaths and probably other disastrous health consequences to continue thanks to advancements in treatments and maybe someday vaccines, not due to automatic weakening of the virus and that COVID-19 probably won't mutate dangerously enough to compensate for that

Bring it on! At this point, I'd take being injected with Omicron itself over a booster dose (I had one dose of J & J last Spring): the booster might actually be more dangerous for my demographic given all those healthy young and middle aged men suddenly having heart attacks from vaccine induced clots. Bob Saget likely died from a vaccine induced clot and he was very healthy for 65 (still functioning more like a 40 year old than a senior citizen).

Old 01-11-2022, 12:11 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,710,036 times
Quote:
It does look much closer to a cold or "light flu" than previous 'popular' variants. One article I read seemed to say it shares more genes with the common cold. The belief is that it's not as good at establishing itself beyond the upper respiratory tract. However, that says very little about how the virus will evolve. "Hope" is not what stops a pandemic. The Chinese now think Omicron might have come from COVID-19 jumping to mice and back into humans. If so, it's realistic the virus could recombine via another animal into something much worse, as that process often causes. That said, if you want trustworthy science on the virus, use Google and scientific publications. Little of anything posted on this forum should be taken at face value.
With all due respect, I wouldn't believe that part I bolded. That sounds very unlikely and also the fact that the Chinese government has been lying about this from the get go. And that's all I'll say about it otherwise it will turn into a political debate.

I'll continue to hope that everyone infected with Omnicron will be okay and the next wave will be even less severe. We're either going to infect and give herd immunity to everyone or the virus will eventually fizzle out and become just another strain of the common cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California