Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2023, 01:13 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It seems that the concept of herd immunity in regard to SARS-CoV-2 was misunderstood.

https://www.statnews.com/2022/03/25/...mmunity-wrong/

https://www.grid.news/story/global/2...xpect-in-2023/
Yeah because we were misled/lied to about what the vaccines could do initially.

Old 02-23-2023, 01:22 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
“They owe us an apology “
An apology does not even come close to making things square for me and many others.
I agree, an apology would be like a kick in the teeth for the long term health issues it has caused for you, me and many others.

I've been trying to think of a title to start a thread about it, but the percentage of people with negative effects from the vaccine or long covid is so small it always seems to bring out the naysayers who like to say "I've had all the shots and boosters and I'm OK.'

Old 02-23-2023, 02:15 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I agree, an apology would be like a kick in the teeth for the long term health issues it has caused for you, me and many others.

I've been trying to think of a title to start a thread about it, but the percentage of people with negative effects from the vaccine or long covid is so small it always seems to bring out the naysayers who like to say "I've had all the shots and boosters and I'm OK.'
It would be needless fear-mongering. People know that bad things can happen (hence, the vaccine injury fund). Most people accept the truth that that's rare, which also is why few would chime in to say it's happened to them or anyone they know. For almost everyone, vaccine is safer than infection (which makes almost moot vaccination vs. natural immunity). This isn't a thread for repeatedly airing a grudge.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:28 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Cherry-picking articles, especially third-party sources, will never win an argument. Plenty of key parties, including vaccine makers, early on were emphasizing prevention of serious illness and death and the government concern with overwhelmed hospitals was always present. Whether that was publicly explained or not as a reason for the mandate is irrelevant.
Wait, what? Before there was a "vaccine" we were told to shelter at home as not to overwhelm the hospitals. It was only after months of that when people had to venture out for food they came up with the silly masking thing. Initially it was dust and cloth masks which were absolutely useless.

We were told this would have to do until they came up with a vaccine to keep us from getting covid.

They didn't start moving the goal posts about the vaxx until much later in the game.

Old 02-23-2023, 02:40 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
It would be needless fear-mongering. People know that bad things can happen (hence, the vaccine injury fund). Most people accept the truth that that's rare, which also is why few would chime in to say it's happened to them or anyone they know. For almost everyone, vaccine is safer than infection (which makes almost moot vaccination vs. natural immunity). This isn't a thread for repeatedly airing a grudge.
Well. Finally. Thank you for at least admitting "almost everyone." I imagine that was hard for you to admit but I really appreciate it.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
The misinformation is yours, and I won't put up with much more.

What you cite are ethics arguments (irrelevant and basically unrelated to the recent government mandates) and a preliminary report from Pfizer long before there were any mandates. By spring 2021, it was known that breakthrough cases happen and that risk of serious infection was much lower if vaccinated. I don't think you will find one government official who says mandates were only about stopping spread. So stop.
Yeah ethical arguments based on the premise that vaccination helps prevent spread. Without that there is very little justification for a mandate.

No, that wasn't clear until later in the summer actually with Delta. All you have to do is go back on this very thread and look at all the people that lost it because they thought they were in grave danger from the unvaccinated.

WRONG AGAIN:
San Francisco’s new rule: Proof of vaccine or no dining in

Mayor London Breed announced the requirement more than a week ago in an attempt to stem rising COVID-19 cases, saying she was worried the highly contagious delta variant could disrupt the city’s economic rebound. She also hopes it will encourage vaccine holdouts to join the 79% of the population that have gotten their shots.

“This is not a punishment,” Breed said Friday. “It’s really about a chance to try and get us moving in the right direction and keeping people safe.”

AND AGAIN:
California Becomes First State in Nation to Announce COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements for Schools

“The state already requires that students are vaccinated against viruses that cause measles, mumps, and rubella – there’s no reason why we wouldn’t do the same for COVID-19. Today’s measure, just like our first-in-the-nation school masking and staff vaccination requirements, is about protecting our children and school staff, and keeping them in the classroom,” said Governor Newsom. “Vaccines work. It’s why California leads the country in preventing school closures and has the lowest case rates. We encourage other states to follow our lead to keep our kids safe and prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:27 PM

3,069 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
said Governor Newsom. “Vaccines work. It’s why California leads the country in preventing school closures and has the lowest case rates. We encourage other states to follow our lead to keep our kids safe and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Ha! That's rich. Can't close schools if you don't reopen them. We had some of the longest school closures of any state. What a buffoon.

Old 02-23-2023, 04:17 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah ethical arguments based on the premise that vaccination helps prevent spread. Without that there is very little justification for a mandate.

No, that wasn't clear until later in the summer actually with Delta. All you have to do is go back on this very thread and look at all the people that lost it because they thought they were in grave danger from the unvaccinated.

WRONG AGAIN:
San Francisco’s new rule: Proof of vaccine or no dining in

Mayor London Breed announced the requirement more than a week ago in an attempt to stem rising COVID-19 cases, saying she was worried the highly contagious delta variant could disrupt the city’s economic rebound. She also hopes it will encourage vaccine holdouts to join the 79% of the population that have gotten their shots.

“This is not a punishment,” Breed said Friday. “It’s really about a chance to try and get us moving in the right direction and keeping people safe.”

AND AGAIN:
California Becomes First State in Nation to Announce COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements for Schools

“The state already requires that students are vaccinated against viruses that cause measles, mumps, and rubella – there’s no reason why we wouldn’t do the same for COVID-19. Today’s measure, just like our first-in-the-nation school masking and staff vaccination requirements, is about protecting our children and school staff, and keeping them in the classroom,” said Governor Newsom. “Vaccines work. It’s why California leads the country in preventing school closures and has the lowest case rates. We encourage other states to follow our lead to keep our kids safe and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This clown forced this to drag out until OCT 2022. At the local level Professors had enough and told the students masks optional.

https://ces.sdsu.edu/sdsu-global-cam...vid-19-updates

Old 02-23-2023, 05:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Wait, what? Before there was a "vaccine" we were told to shelter at home as not to overwhelm the hospitals. It was only after months of that when people had to venture out for food they came up with the silly masking thing. Initially it was dust and cloth masks which were absolutely useless.

We were told this would have to do until they came up with a vaccine to keep us from getting covid.

They didn't start moving the goal posts about the vaxx until much later in the game.
Not accurate.

The assurances were lessening by the time the vaccines were widely available (for example, I recall estimates for the required percentage of the population vaccinated to achieve herd immunity kept rising). I don't think anyone ever consistently promised that mass vaccination would end the pandemic, it was just a voiced hope probably meant to gain cooperation. It was not a "lie" to think and say it might work.

That vaccines would prevent major health problems increasingly was stated instead, and it has proven somewhat true (early-onset, acute problems, let's say). By the way, re legal/ethical arguments, that justifies vaccine mandates, because in the past those held up in the courts about viruses that vaccines didn't eliminate but rendered much less dangerous.

Old 02-23-2023, 05:12 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post

At least we had a few good months there with no posts.
I think (only speculation here) as to why that gap is that most of the people actively posting live in the LA and other parts of the SoCal area. There's a thread in the LA section that's been very active. I haven't participated in it since I don't live there but it's been a good read. Much of the same dialog as this one. Really, this thread could be closed and let that one go since that area of the state seems to be struggling with ongoing cases. We're pretty clear over this way. Thank goodness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California