Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2023, 12:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

Is it true that governments don't care anymore? The leaders don't seem to care enough anymore. But if there's public insistence that officials protect public health, things will ramp back up. Just in the past 48 hours, there has been convincing new data on excess deaths and increased diabetes risk. Omicron is not a cold!
It seems that the extreme majority don’t want covid restrictions. So yes politicians will reflect that sentiment. Even in China there were violent protests against covid restrictions. Hell, Berkeley got rid of mask mandates in schools and have only in person school and they were probably the most psychotic in the US.

As for diabetes the main cause isn’t covid. More like risk factors from sitting at home and grubhubbing too much. Either way you’re going to probably working in person with everyone else in the future. Maybe you can get disability for long covid though so you never have to leave your house.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,876,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
It seems that the extreme majority don’t want covid restrictions. So yes politicians will reflect that sentiment. Even in China there were violent protests against covid restrictions. Hell, Berkeley got rid of mask mandates in schools and have only in person school and they were probably the most psychotic in the US.

As for diabetes the main cause isn’t covid. More like risk factors from sitting at home and grubhubbing too much. Either way you’re going to probably working in person with everyone else in the future. Maybe you can get disability for long covid though so you never have to leave your house.
I don't care for your slanted speculations about health impacts, for unlike me, you have no track record of accurate predictions.

I do not trust that the "the extreme majority don’t want covid restrictions." Most people evidently don't want to wear masks. I have not heard any widespread opposition to testing, which is much more important in stopping most viral spread, and there is no objection by most citizens toward cleaner air (say, "restrictions" that force businesses to do that).

Old 02-15-2023, 01:01 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
First off, why would anyone get tested if they don't even know they are sick? Next, no one can afford most of these tests. I have to get one before an exam and it's going to cost me 50 dollars. There are free testing sights but you'll be there all freakin day.

Once I test positive I have to test negative to come back to work. I only get 4 free tests total sent to the house so if I tested every time I had to sneeze I'd be out of those quickly.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
First off, why would anyone get tested if they don't even know they are sick? Next, no one can afford most of these tests. I have to get one before an exam and it's going to cost me 50 dollars. There are free testing sights but you'll be there all freakin day.

Once I test positive I have to test negative to come back to work. I only get 4 free tests total sent to the house so if I tested every time I had to sneeze I'd be out of those quickly.
Sneezing has very little to do with that particular virus. Another problem: most people have only a vague idea of the symptoms.

People should test if they feel sick (even if staying home alone, to qualify for Paxlovid), if required, or if going to a situation where infecting others likely would be quite harmful (e.g., an indoor wedding). In many parts of California, wealthy people are common and cost of testing not an issue for them. For others, the government has an ethical obligation to subsidize testing that employers don't cover, preferably at clinics, where methods are more accurate. That's something the public should demand, beyond the few free tests that I expect everyone to be offered over the next few winters.

For the millionth time, it's not hard to greatly improve this situation.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:20 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
... the government has an ethical obligation to subsidize testing that employers don't cover, preferably at clinics, where methods are more accurate. That's something the public should demand, beyond the few free tests that I expect everyone to be offered over the next few winters.
That's not going to happen, though. California's emergency declaration ends later this month.

"...a large portion of funding for free COVID testing (and vaccination) clinics will come to an end, meaning not only that costs for individuals for these services could rise, but also the sites themselves are starting to shutter. And the sites that remain open will have to look to the future of county-level funding after the state and federal supplies are gone.

But officials say the end of California’s state of emergency is not the sole reason many of these facilities are closing. San Francisco’s free drive-up testing site on Alemany Blvd., for example, is being closed due to a combination of reduced funding and “low demand,” according to San Francisco health officials."

https://www.kqed.org/news/11941075/c...y-mean-for-you

Old 02-17-2023, 03:19 PM

From a drugstore-chain email:
"Must be symptomatic and have flu testing done with Covid-19 testing in order to be eligible. No cost to you with health plan coverage."

Until the Federal state of emergency expires. I hope that's done outdoors when possible, for the safety of customers and employees.

Last edited by goodheathen; 02-17-2023 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-17-2023, 09:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
I don't care for your slanted speculations about health impacts, for unlike me, you have no track record of accurate predictions.

I do not trust that the "the extreme majority don’t want covid restrictions." Most people evidently don't want to wear masks. I have not heard any widespread opposition to testing, which is much more important in stopping most viral spread, and there is no objection by most citizens toward cleaner air (say, "restrictions" that force businesses to do that).
The extreme majority don't even think about covid anymore.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The extreme majority don't even think about covid anymore.
Your goal of wishing the issue away is too obvious.

COVID-19 isn't Freddie Kreuger (manifested by thoughts). In fact, it's probably better to think of it, moderately, than to try to block it out. It feeds off inaction (and social activity).

Most people might not think of it throughout a typical day, but they hear about it in the news, they hear about acquaintances getting sick, and if they get sick or test positive they'll be thinking about it a lot. If asked about supporting keeping infected people off flights or cleaner air, of course almost all of them would support that.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:28 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I don’t think that the majority of the people still think about Covid unless they get triggered.
I work for a every large company.
Two days ago a co-worker and I refused to get on an over crowded elevator even after other co-workers enticed us to.
Were we were triggered or were we using common sense hmmm?
As far as the large group of people I associate with privately and business wise I haven’t heard of anyone getting Covid for a while.
There are over 500 permanent people at my work location, we quit testing a while ago and I haven’t heard of a positive test in near 8 weeks.
I receive an email of the positive tests from other locations and there is usually one or so per week sometimes none out of thousands of people.

Other than dealing with/mopping up all the damage that was caused from covid and the future damages (suicides, drug and alcohol problems, broken families, social and educational issues that our children will face and the devastating impact this had on our economy ) I think we are about over it.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's not going to happen, though. California's emergency declaration ends later this month.

"...a large portion of funding for free COVID testing (and vaccination) clinics will come to an end, meaning not only that costs for individuals for these services could rise, but also the sites themselves are starting to shutter. And the sites that remain open will have to look to the future of county-level funding after the state and federal supplies are gone.

But officials say the end of California’s state of emergency is not the sole reason many of these facilities are closing. San Francisco’s free drive-up testing site on Alemany Blvd., for example, is being closed due to a combination of reduced funding and “low demand,” according to San Francisco health officials."

Down here, the county already closed the majority of test sites last month iirc. Now sdusd is about to stop on-site testing too as the e/o ends in March. It's not just low demand spurring the change, it's also sheer lack of necessity since home test kits are widely available. There's no point having a dedicated test site to do something any individual can do at home. Also, aside from general public disinterest/burnout regarding covid, only people who are going to voluntarily take themselves out of the workforce are going to act on a positive test anyway. With covid pay all but evaporated, it would be detrimental for a lot of the labor force, particularly hourly employees, to dive into their sick bank for an asymptomatic/minor bout with the virus. Plus, nobody cares anymore except for the diehard chicken little types.

For the level of documented exposure I've had to the virus, never having once tested positive in all those years of routine testing, I'm 99% sure that I'm immune to the virus and that the vaccines have worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California