Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 12:48 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,996,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
Not as sad as your hobby man. How many hours are you up to now, trolling a California sub-forum on an urban planning site? I mean, you've almost single-handedly ruined things in here, so I guess at least you have something to show for it.
Thank you for reading, and thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 12:48 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,751,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Cuts and layoffs usually start with classified employees who aren't in that league --usually hourly and without benefits. There will always be fat to trim, but what I'm saying is a fact of how these layoffs go.
The unions, especially those that own Newsom and the state legislature, will always take a layoff over a permanent cut in benefits.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,463,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
How will they increase staffing with reduced budgets (10% cuts in most cases)? Serious question.

That remains to be seen. I wish I knew. That's why I said it's a mess right now. Unless individual districts are willing to trim a lot of the state's 60 page guidelines for reopening schools, it won't be something they can do with a skeleton crew. Ours is most likely going with a hybrid plan and letting families decide which they want for their kids.

I'm retired from a previous career and I work for the district here as a classified employee now. At my sites, the principals have said that with the current plan, they'd probably need people in my position on campus more next year. The state hasn't taken this seriously enough, imo. Like I said, a lot relies on schools being open in order for the economy to work properly.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:44 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,463,317 times
As far as how fast or slowly the state economy recovers, it's anyone's guess at this point. There still isn't enough in place to gauge what will happen even three months from now with the virus and how people will react to any uptick in case numbers, etc.

Still too many 'if's to consider to say definitively that it will all spring back to normal or suffer miserably for a decade. I lean towards the optimistic side but that's by choice.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:31 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,880,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Unless individual districts are willing to trim a lot of the state's 60 page guidelines for reopening schools, it won't be something they can do with a skeleton crew.
See post #507 on Newsom reconsidering cuts.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:05 AM

Starting to get ugly out there.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/educatio...s-15363420.php

UC employees stage protests over impending layoffs amid coronavirus budget crisis

Quote:
The University of California’s largest employee union staged protests across the state Wednesday, in response to recent layoff notices sent to campus service workers at UC San Diego and UC Riverside.

According to the union , the first layoff notices, a result of the coronavirus pandemic, went out in the past week to approximately 200 primarily food service workers.

They earn an annual salary of about $41,000 per year, according to the union, meaning the layoffs would save UC about $1.5 million. The system-wide budget is approximately $40 billion.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:44 AM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-15363452.php

California AG seeks to force Uber and Lyft to reclassify drivers as W2 employees

Quote:
California plans to go to court to compel Uber and Lyft to reclassify their drivers as employees in a matter of weeks. The companies said that could jeopardize their businesses, possibly forcing them to shut down service in California or raise prices dramatically.

Attorney General Xavier Becerra and the city attorneys of San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego sued Uber and Lyft in May, saying their drivers were misclassified as independent contractors when they should be employees under AB5, the state’s gig-work law that took effect Jan. 1.
Well, I'm seeing a lot more people out of jobs quicker, or much higher rates for Uber and Lyft than other states.

California politicians, always helping the little guy!

Old 06-29-2020, 12:47 PM

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/06/2...ed-up-or-down/

Los Angeles County Unemployment hits 20%

Quote:
The 20% unemployment rate in Los Angeles County — nearly double the rates in Bay Area counties — stands out, and not in a good way. It has a quarter of the state’s population and even when the economy was humming, it had the state’s highest poverty rate, as calculated by the Public Policy Institute of California, due to a plethora of low-skill, low-pay jobs and sky-high housing costs.

“California’s job growth engine has come to a screeching halt like an automatic car transmission that suddenly gets thrown into reverse,” Scott Anderson, chief economist at Bank of the West, told the Los Angeles Times.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM

Requiring masks might be a tough one for reopening businesses

California taqueria closes after customers harass, throw 'objects and liquids' at employees over mask rules

https://www.wdrb.com/news/business/c...3546170b6.html

Quote:
"Our Taco Stands are exhausted by the constant conflicts over guests refusing to wear masks. Staff have been harassed, called names, and had objects and liquids thrown at them," the statement reads. "A mask isn't symbolic of anything other than our desire to keep our staff healthy."

The restaurant, which has reportedly been part of the community for 15 years, concluded its message with "hope the LA community comes together on this issue so we can feel safe and reopen soon."

Old 07-01-2020, 08:40 AM

https://abc7.com/los-angeles-county-...-cuts/6282495/

LA Sheriffs Office anticipating layoffs after proposed $150 million budget cut

Quote:
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Monday approved a massive budget cut proposal affecting the sheriff's department.

Sheriff Alex Villanueva says the proposed cuts defund the department by more than $150 million. That's on top of the $400 million the department has already been underfunded for the next fiscal year.

"Every single move is taking away vital law enforcement services that is going to hurt people. I guess on the bright side, if i'm going to be sarcastic, they spared the homicide bureau. So if you're dead, you're alright, but if you're not dead, well too bad," Villanueva said during a news conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California